Discussion topic: Reverse proxy & port forwarding

This message was authored by folic1986 This message was authored by: folic1986

Reverse proxy & port forwarding

Long shot, but does anyone use Unraid? And if so, do you have a reverse proxy using SWAG?

I had it all set up and working for months, changed ISP and router to this circus, and now cannot forward the ports I need using the antiquated UI.

I'm trying to open 80 and 443 and then forward that to 180 and 1443 on the local IP of my server.

See - https://youtu.be/I0lhZc25Sro?t=623

Can anyone advise how to do that?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Re: Reverse proxy & port forwarding

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@folic1986 

As far as I know the Sky hub doesnt work when you try to create rules that change ports. It needs to be a 1 to 1 mapping. E.g. Port 443 > Internal port 443.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
folic1986
Topic Author
This message was authored by folic1986 This message was authored by: folic1986

Ugh, well that sucks. Even the HH3 could do that. Thanks mate, will use my 30 day cooling off and go to plusnet!

This message was authored by 555rich555 This message was authored by: 555rich555

I have the same issue.

FYI I just came from plusnet and their router isn't much better. When I was with plusnet the router kept dropping its connection in the late evening for 15 minutes or so. I soved that problem by using a third party router and modem - plusnet routers are utter trash.

It looks like your best bet is to get a nice router and use the appropriate modem for your connection. I am only using Sky's router because I don't have a G-Fast router. Unfortunatly Sky's router will not operate in modem only mode. 

Sky's modem is a utter dissapointment, it is so basic as to be redundant.

@555rich555 

Its designed to be plug & play for the average technophobe, if you want advanced you get a 3rd party router like you said.

I am NOT a Sky Employee
This message was authored by crowflies This message was authored by: crowflies

just jumping on this as I have the same issue - I need to map 443 external to 8123 internal. Reading above as I suspected the Sky box isnt going to do this. What routers do folks recommend and what are the pros and cons? 

• I have my sky boxes all connected via ethernet cable - but I believe they mess the wifi signal right? will I lose this if a chage the router?
  • Can you easily connect a non sky router? I thought you had to extract the login credentials - but is this still true?
  • Has anyone done port mapping in any other way without changing the router?

@crowflies 

Router choice is up to yourself because there are so many things you might want/not want such as WiFi 6, gaming features, proper QoS, LAN management, child controls etc.

The requirements are that it supports DHCP option 61. You do not need to extract the login details, they are generic. 

Regarding your Q boxes, you used to lose the hopspot functionality when not using a Sky router however the latest update allowed for the feature to be active without a Sky hub. That being said if you get a decent 3rd party router you shouldnt need the Q hotspots.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

that's great, thanks for your reply, things have improved then! - I'll look around and see what i can find. My needs are just as described .... no gaming or parental stuff - coverage and port forwarding with ability to change the port are the most important thing.

This message was authored by 555rich555 This message was authored by: 555rich555

@jamesn123 

I do think that the Sky router is much better in terms of connection stability than the Plusnet one that I had (when openreach are not digging up the road!). Also the more setting, the more support tickets, so you cannot blame ISP's too much for today's lack of technological literacy 

Due to a shortage of G-fast modems in the UK I had my fingers crossed for Sky's router having a few more features.

To be fair to Sky it is not altogether unreasonable to expect people like the OP wishing to host own webserver or application server to use a third party router.

@crowflies 

You may wish to take a look at routers that can work with openWRT or building a PFsense router. If you have an interest in unraid then you might find them interesting.

I have used openWRT on the turris omina and enjoyed it - although I believe that you can flash openWRT on to cheaper devices.

Thanks I was more jumping in over the need to port map... I am using home assistant to manage my home automation and this feature is needed to expose hassio to Alexa. Anyway I bought the TPlink vr2100 and was a doddle to set up and my port 443 is now mapped to port 8123, so I'm happy. 

In setting up I did keep the old box Mac address just in case, but it's been solid. The only thing I did have to do is switch on WiFi mesh at the sky main q box now that the sky router is gone. That's made a difference in my most remote location where some home automation switches were struggling to see the wi-f (slow to respond or dropping off). Everything else that streams is hard wired. Wi-fi is only used for browsing and home automation devices. Everything seems rosy now so Thanks very much to everyone that helped...

This message was authored by sbetty02 This message was authored by: sbetty02

Sorry to bump up and old thread but fello Unraid user here. Pretty gutted to be fair, I have ben following numerous tutorials to get my Unraid accessable from outside of my network. No luck at all.

I tried messing with the "Services table" and then creating "Inboud Firewall Rules" on the Sky Q hub but it just fails totally.

Pretty [removed] annoying tbh, are people saying i can buy any router that has DHCP option 61 capability and it will be a plug and play solution bar recconecting all my devices? I have a main Sky Q box and also 2 Minis?

Proper nightmare, tried this with SWAG and also NGiNX (So much easier... if it wasn't for sky - https://youtu.be/h1a4u72o-64)

Really is a shame, I understand that things are plug and play for your average user but they should allow an expert or modem only mode for those that do want to tinker and we can take responsibiity then.

Any other unraid users got this working?

Moderator note: profanity.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion