Discussion topic: No signal certain channels in bad weather?

This message was authored by Bill1968 This message was authored by: Bill1968

No signal certain channels in bad weather?

I accept there's not a lot I can do about this, other than relocate my dish. In fact it was something the engineer warned me might happen once he'd installed my Sky Q and checked his readings. But what I'd like to know is why it's only certain channels (the engineer was even able to tell me from a list which channels I might lose during adverse weather).

Do these channels use a weaker transponder or something?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Godfrey This message was authored by: Godfrey

Re: No signal certain channels in bad weather?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Bill1968 

29 of the satellite transponders that Sky presently use are configured to use the much wider area coverage of the 'Euro Beam' and will transmit a nominal EiRP of around 50 dBW towards the UK. 38 of the satellite transponders that Sky presently use are configured to use the much tighter 'UK beam' and will transmit a nominal EiRP of around 54 dBW towards the UK.

Then, reception of 8PSK HD transponder signals requires a slightly better Bit Error Rate (BER) when compared with QPSK SD transponders.   (simplistic explanation)

Godfrey.

Bill1968
Topic Author

So are you saying it is the ones that use a tighter beam that I lose during the rain?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Bill1968 simplisically it is the wide beam channels that should be lost first. The Ku band microwave signals from a satellite in orbit 36,000 kms above equator are pretty weak by the time they reach your dish.  These signals are further disruted by water in the atmosphere but with a 40cm dish in England with a clear view of the sky to the West of South should not lose signal until the weather is appalling, heavy snow being the worst. If your dish is partially blocked by trees you will inevitably lose signal more frequently especially as trees grow.. 

In practice the tramsmission power is limited by the power the satellites solar panels can produce but the aerials can direct the signals into a beam the wider the area that covers the lower the signal level is on the ground but each transponder can be tuned to optimise coverage but simplistically you would expect the UK spot beam channels to be more reliable.

Also various technical tweaks can improve the threshold before signal errors cause the loss of service. As a guide the free to air channels like the BBC and ITV are on the spot beam transponders to make reception beyond the UK more difficult. Encrypted channels are often on the wide beam transponders. 

If people are interested this page gives details of the Astra 2F satellite including the various beam maps see http://www.astra2sat.com/astra-2f-satellite/. Ignore the Ka band as that is not for TV use and the West African beam is clearly not used for UK channels. The move by the UK free to air channels to the UK spot beam explains the huge dishes you used to see in Southern Spain and the Canaries but now streaming has largely made these redundant.

The useful Lyngsat site shows the beam each transponder uses in the left most column https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK.html

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
Bill1968
Topic Author

That's all way beyond me, but thanks for the explanation and links.

I wonder, then, if I have a case for getting Sky to relocate my dish. I moved into my current property at the start of the year, and the dish was already there from the previous owners installation. I upgraded to Q about three months ago and the engineer did tell me the dish wasn't in an ideal position because of borderline obstructions.

Given Sky presumably  put the dish there for the old tenant, I'm now in a position where I'm paying for channels that can't consistently be received.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Bill1968 wrote:

That's all way beyond me, but thanks for the explanation and links.

I wonder, then, if I have a case for getting Sky to relocate my dish. I moved into my current property at the start of the year, and the dish was already there from the previous owners installation. I upgraded to Q about three months ago and the engineer did tell me the dish wasn't in an ideal position because of borderline obstructions.

Given Sky presumably  put the dish there for the old tenant, I'm now in a position where I'm paying for channels that can't consistently be received.

You should not have to accept that you regularly loose some channels.

Of course some extreme weather like thunderstorms & snow will knock out the signal but it should be rare  not commonplace.

Obviously we don't know if you could get a clearer, unobstructed,  line of sight to the Satellites but if you are getting regular drop outs I would contact SKY & get them to review it  

P.S.  you should not have to worry over which channels are on which beam as there is enough power on all of them to reach the whole of the UK under normal conditions.  

Bill1968
Topic Author

Thanks. I'll give them a call and see what they can do.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@Bill1968initially It does look like the dish is slightly out of alignment but that is unlikely as the installer had to go to the dish anyway and it would have been a simple job for him to realign it particularly as he knew there would be problems with some channels.

It is more likely that there is a partial obstruction to prevent the dish getting a clear view of the satellite are there any trees or buildings that look as though they are in the way.

It is worth getting Sky out to see if they can reposition the dish, this should have been done if it was possible when you had Q installed but installers have limited time.

Bill1968
Topic Author

Yes, as I stated, the engineer was even able to list the channels I may have issues with, when he fitted the new LNB during the upgrade to Q. There is a building which appears to be in line with the dish arm, which is why he predicted problems. Problem with relocation is that I rent so need to get permission from the landlord before I start undertaking work like that. The engineer pointed out a more suitable position and said he couldn't  understand why it hadn't been put there originally.

Bill1968
Topic Author

Sky are hopefully re-locating my dish on Saturday, but it's costing me £60 which I'm less than happy about. If it makes no difference to my signal loss I don't imagine they'll be very forthcoming with a refund.

@Bill1968I have escalated this to Sky as it should have been properly positioned when you got Sky so you should not be charged.

Hopefully they will come back to you, Private message or email, and be able to sort something out for you. Look for a blue blob bottom right of your screen.

Bill1968
Topic Author

@bob1234 

Wow! Thank you very much!

Not that I want to sound greedy or ungrateful, but I wouldn't want this to change the job date. I think I was lucky to get a slot for this coming Saturday and I don't want to jeapordise that as weekends are the only times I can be there. The guy I spoke to did waive the £15 weekend call- out charge (which was also something I didn't know existed).

Bill1968
Topic Author

@bob1234 

I wonder if you could help. I was messaged by Sky about the charge for re-locating my dish, but the dialogue closed before I got chance to start the conversation (they needed my account number but I wasn't at home so couldn't respond. In fact, I don't even know where to find my account #.

I've looked everywhere but can't see how I trigger the conversation again.

@Bill1968It should not close, there should still be a blue blob on your screen so you can chat at your leisure.

If it has gone post again and I will escalate again.

Bill1968
Topic Author

@bob1234 

Thsnls. The blue blob has definitely disappeared.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion