Discussion topic: New SR203 firmware 5.14.2390.R

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by threetowner This message was authored by: threetowner

Re: New SR203 firmware 5.14.2390.R

I posted about this yesterday, but no response to it yet...

My SR203 router is on 2331, and a Sky Engineer said last week he'd requested it to be updated to a new version of the firmware, and that *should* fix my speed issues - but a week later that's still not happened.  Is there anyway I can get the router to download the latest version, or do a manual update, or failing that, is there a way of asking Sky to send the update out to it? 

This message was authored by TonyCl This message was authored by: TonyCl

@threetowner 

To be honest, I suspect you were being fobbed off about the firmware update was going to improve your broadband speed.

The best way to get more people to respond would be to start your own thread about your specific issue, adding details about how you're measuring the connection speed (over wifi or via lan cable etc), what checks you've done for wifi congestion (apps like wifi explorer to check your neighbours channels aren't clashing with yours. Wifi SweetSpots is another good one to check the speed your wifi link is providing etc)

also add your connection details from the router, as that's the first thing you'll be asked for. Note you'll need to wait for the image to be approved before it can be seen.

See

https://community.sky.com/t5/Broadband/How-to-find-your-Sky-Broadband-router-stats/m-p/2855717#M1014

Regards Tony.
SR203 sky router (ultrafast FTTP), 2TB Q box + 4 x mini, 4 apple airport express APs, all connected with network of 5 tp-link powerline adapters
This message was authored by threetowner This message was authored by: threetowner

Thanks for that advice - will try it.

However, in basic terms, the low speed I'm getting is via a cabled connection and both Openreach and Sky engineer got the same - 22Mbs at master socket but router is only spitting out 16Mbs.

Engineer said he'd seen a similar issue in the past, but not with the current router, but he showed me a screen on his tablet saying that the firmware update should take place that day (or on next update cycle), but that was over a week ago. His final suggestion was that if the new firmware didn't work, then it was to request an older router that wasn't affected by this issue. Beyond that, I'll be looking at leaving Sky if it can't get fixed.

So, at the moment, my question is still the same - can you force the router to download the latest firmware version so that I can see if it works or not?

This message was authored by Wolfey This message was authored by: Wolfey

Routes rebooted its self again around 1330h

You might be right.

Though ita been stable for at least a year amd since their firmware updates its Just crapping out

Frequency getting worse too 

This message was authored by JPR007 This message was authored by: JPR007

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Wolfey Have you done a hard reset of the router? Not sure if you've said already further up the thread. Sometimes firmware updates can send them wobbly. 

Press and hold the reset button for AT LEAST 20 seconds, and that should do a factory reset. This is different from just cutting the power and letting it reboot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

** No - I have nothing to do with Sky **

@threetowner When you say 22Mb at the mastersocket, is this the sync speed in the router stats? You will always get slightly lower speeds on speed tests, between 6-9% usually vs the sync speed, even on a cable, WiFi is usually an order of magnitude lower again.
This is down to network overheads and how computer networks operate, there's no way round that regardless of hardware or ISP.

And, no...there is no way (that I've heard of at least) to force a firmware update, it's purely automated. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zen Superfast (FTTC), Fritzbox 7530, Sky Q 2TB UHD v3 (x1), Sky Q Mini (x2), Alienware Area 51-M, Panasonic TX-65HZ1000B, Denon AVR-X6300H, B&W CM8 S2, B&W CM1 S2 (x2), B&W CM Centre S2, REL S3 SHO (x2), Panasonic TX-P42G30B, Monitor Audio RS6, Marantz PM7001 KI, Denon HEOS 1 HS2 (x2), B&W P7, iPad Pro 12.9" (5th Gen), iPhone 14 Pro Max, iPad Mini 6 (work)

Hey. I did indeed. I just assumed sky kept sending reboot commands for firmware or the firmware buggered it up.

I contacted sky and got through quite quickly and they just issued a new one with Royal mail to pick up the defective one.  An exchange.

SR 204 VoIP calls gfast 160mbit down and 30Mbit up

Snr down is 12.3 and Snr up is 9.4

Line atn 36. 7dB

Customer for about 11yrs now of bb only.

Thanks for your help 

New router arrived today. Set it up. Then it downloaded the new firmware.

However the firmware it downloaded was from July. 5.14.2331R

I assume the latest from August 2390R is causing so many issues. They have dropped it 

Old router on its way back 

For anyone curious.

The setup i run: 

LAN IPCONFIG is different from the deafult

I have 2.4Ghz Wifi networking swtiched off. As the Building i live in.... farrrrr too noissssyyyyyy with 2.4Ghz traffic.  i dont like the laggggg and some apps dont like the switching between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz either. Devices prefere 2.4ghz mainly too when its all enabled.

So I have some LAN  devices (1Gbit) and just Wifi 5Ghz only  going on.

Have Broadcast SSID off.  Custom network name and password. 

and turn off anything else that seems un-needed. 

Typically reboot the hub my self every 750 hours.. to clear out caches and stuff.  clear the ram

Dont know if anything hepful for the diagnostics team. 

old router should ship back to Unipart returns today in Cov

* Not Cov. has a cov postcode. 

Nuneaton - UniPart Logistics

( can you really not edit posts ? ) 

This message was authored by Pistonhead This message was authored by: Pistonhead

@Wolfey wrote:

( can you really not edit posts ? ) 

If you click on the 3 vertical dots (top right of the post in question) you should be able to edit it.

LG OLED65B1 • Apple TV 4K • Sky Superfast BB

So..   My brand new router updated 48h ago with the August Version 5.14.2390.R

And guess what... The router is randomly rebooting its self again

Thanks sky for your firmware update that arw clearly posing an issue from lack of testing 

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@Wolfey Sky have literally millions of these hubs most updated without issue that yours did apparently not does not point to a general firmware issue. A number of units fail after any firmware update what is happening the unit had an inherent fault and would have failed when rebooted whether or not the firmware changed.

Simply call Sky and getvthe faulty unit swapped out.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

This IS A NEW UNIT

just under a week old!!! 

@Wolfey have you done another factory reset? Firmware updates can send them into an endless loop.

When mine updated it didn't keep rebooting, but something weird was happening with the IP lease and it kept dropping every 10 hours despite the line being stable. A factory reset cured it and it's been stable for over 100 hours now. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion