Discussion topic: Netgear R8000 slow when connected to Sky Hub via LAN port

This message was authored by Rockingit This message was authored by: Rockingit

Netgear R8000 slow when connected to Sky Hub via LAN port

We've got 'standard' 40/10 FTTC fibre into a Sky SR203 router, which all works fine and we get speeds around 38/8 at the Sky Router.  I've laid CAT6 to an outbuilding where it's connected into a Netgear Nighthawk r8000 predominantly to run some security cams that the WiFi just won't leap as far too, even with extenders.  Sky Hub is acting as the DHCP server in the 192.168 range, R8000 has auto-sensed bridge mode and self assigned itself to the 10.0 range - and it works, there's three devices running off it now.

Except, the R8000 is reporting a speed of 8MB/700Kbs, which just can't be right.  It should either be 100MB LAN speed or at worst a tiny reduction of the Sky speeds, surely?  

So what's throttling it - Sky or Netgear?!  (NB, the CAT6 is fine, fully tested).

Best Answers
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

Re: Netgear R8000 slow when connected to Sky Hub via LAN port

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Rockingit 

Ah I should've thought of that. In your original message I read 'bridge mode' and for some reason assumed AP. Yeah all secondary routers on a network should be in AP mode unless you are doing special network topology. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Rockingit 

Sky cant/doesnt throttle speeds especially local speeds over ethernet. There must be something wrong with the cable or Netgear router or the way it tests speeds

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Rockingit
Topic Author

"Sky cant/doesnt throttle speeds especially local speeds over ethernet. There must be something wrong with the cable or Netgear router or the way it tests speeds"  @jamesn123  - thanks for this but I wasn't really questioning Sky itself, I was questioning the sky router.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@Rockingit 

Have you tried connecting a device via ethernet to the Sky hub to see if speeds are correct then?

If they are you know its cable/netgear router related issue

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Rockingit
Topic Author

@jamesn123, I think I've sussed it.  The Netgear simply won't recognise any traffic that isn't via its own WAN port, but views it as an ISP connection.  Remedy is to reconfigure it as an AP.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123 Answer

@Rockingit 

Ah I should've thought of that. In your original message I read 'bridge mode' and for some reason assumed AP. Yeah all secondary routers on a network should be in AP mode unless you are doing special network topology. 

I am NOT a Sky Employee

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion