Discussion topic: Help & Advice re the Sky Q Mini box

This message was authored by fa+smith This message was authored by: fa+smith

Help & Advice re the Sky Q Mini box

Guys, i need some advice regarding my Q mini box. The set-up i currently have is this:

The SkyQ Hub/router is in an office connected via cable to the home PC, Its very near where the phone line comes into the hose.

Main SkyQ box in the living room connected to the hub via wifi.

The Mini box is in a family room, again connected via wifi.

We have a Sky booster located between the hub and the main Q Box and the same booster is between the hub and the mini box.

We currently dont have any cable running from the hub to any of the 2 boxes(i would love to but its too far or impraticle)

We do get a lot of occasions where the mini box either needs re-configuring or the network needs re-activating in order for us to watch anything in the family room. Its become such an issue ive thought of ditching Sky all together and seeing if there is anything out there better.

What i would like advice on is something of a last resort really. Ive found a route id be happy with to run some cat 5 cable from the router to the Mini box (it would involve drilling through an internal wall but im prepared to do that to cure the poor mini box performance) If i did that would plugging the cable into the back of the mini box improve the stability of the box/signal and also would it still work with that one being hard wired and the main Q box only using wifi from the hub?

I know some may say, hard wire the main Q box, but im afraid thats out of the question.

Anyway please advise on the above and become an instant hit with my family who are getting dissalussioned with Sky, its only me wanting to keep it that im looking for help advice from you experts.

Thank you in advance

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Re: Help & Advice re the Sky Q Mini box

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@fa+smith 

Perhaps look at some Powerline Adapters - so you could "hard wire" your devices by using you electric ring main?

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

@fa+smith 

This link gives info on what they are and how they work.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

I agree with @Skull+Treaty try powerline first to see if it works. Then look at installing and permanent cable 

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
fa+smith
Topic Author

Thanks guys for the prompt replies. If i did this, would i then run a ethernet from the TP Link powerline device to the Mini Box? If thats the case i could try adding another to behind the main Q box in the living room. Would that work better with regards stability?

@fa+smith 

Yeah you can get kits that include 2,3,4 nodes so one goes next to your router and then you just place the rest where you want the connection. So in your case the Mini box & Main box

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@jamesn123 wrote:

@fa+smith 

Yeah you can get kits that include 2,3,4 nodes so one goes next to your router and then you just place the rest where you want the connection. So in your case the Mini box & Main box

@fa+smith @jamesn123  Sounds more appealing than drilling holes for cables ; )

@fa+smith 

What Broadband package to you have? Powerline adaptors do not play well with G.fast connections due to the higher frequency.

Just saying it out loud ; )

fa+smith
Topic Author

Yes absolutley. So please can you confirm i have this right. I buy a starter kit which has one that i plug into the hub via a ethernet cable and another unit goes near the mini box which i also use a ethernet cable to connect to? Do they do a package where i could get another unit for the main Q box, so i guess what im saying is, there would be three units in the package? Do they do this type of package or would i have to buy a starter pack and a single? Thanks guys your being really helpfull.

fa+smith
Topic Author

I just have the normal Sky Fibre optic, is that ok?

Hmm I can only seem to find 2 packs. @Skull+Treaty do you know anywhere you can get 3 packs or a doulbe + single? 

The only one I can find has built in WiFi which you dont really want

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1HDMFR/ref=twister_B089HD3Z24?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am NOT a Sky Employee
fa+smith
Topic Author

@fa+smith 

They have WiFi built in which again isnt ideal. Also you'd probably want to get some with the AV3 standard rather than AV2

Edit: Nevermind I was thinking of something else, AV2 is what you want.

I am NOT a Sky Employee

@fa+smith @jamesn123 

Triples do seem harder to find that I remember when I was looking a few years ago

https://www.devolo.co.uk/devolo-mesh-wifi/variant/multiroom 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerline-Networking-Products-Broadband-Extender/dp/B086Q3YTB3 

Yeah maybe just go with these @fa+smith as they are a decent price for 3

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N1HDMFR/ref=twister_B089HD3Z24?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I am NOT a Sky Employee

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion