Discussion topic: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Spectre01 This message was authored by: Spectre01

Re: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

@51AO  After I foolishly upgraded my v1 box to v3 and started getting the problems I went through the usual box swap, which didn't work.  My last ditch attempt to stay with Sky was to ask for a v1 box back.  To cut a long story short, I was told by a Technical Support supervisor and Customer Priority Services that they could not send out a v1 model.  Old boxes are not refurbished but sent to Bulgaria to be stripped down.  When they send a replacement box out to you it's just the next one off the shelf, they cannot override that.  I'd be very interested if they tell you anything different.  

This message was authored by simon194 This message was authored by: simon194

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Larry+Duggan wrote:

So is it the box, or the Q140 software update?

Or a combination of both?

I started getting occasional dropouts on my V2 box with Q120 or Q130 (not sure which it was) but definitely got worse when Q140 rolled out. In the 5 years I've had Sky Q, audio dropouts have always been software issues rather than hardware.

Great. Thanks. 

This message was authored by JoeSatch007 This message was authored by: JoeSatch007

@bob1234 well as long as you have internet you can get what Sky offer and so much more, if you're saying you can leave Sky but there is nobody else available then you're very wrong

Ive now bought my dad a streaming device and he has even more choice than he did on Sky and considerably cheaper 

And if they haven't got their act together by the end of this month that's exactly what I'll be doing 

They cannot provide the service I signed up for then they don't get my custom, it's really very simple 

This message was authored by Spectre01 This message was authored by: Spectre01

@JoeSatch007   I completely agree with you, to a point.  I recently cancelled Sky TV due to the dropouts, and doubts about when it will be resolved.  I already had Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ which I watch through an Apple 4K box.

When I cancelled Sky I got Now TV Entertainment package, I also got an alternative satellite recorder box (I won't name it here in case in breaks forum rules).  Now TV I'm quite impressed with, the satellite recorder not so much.

The point is that I now have virtually everything I had with Sky TV, but, given the deal I had with Sky TV + Broadband my overall monthly cost is still the same, and that's not counting the £200 I spent on the new satellite box.

I stress I'm not a Sky employee, but I do think Sky Q is a great service, when it works.  The alternatives are not as good and require more flicking around.  If the dropouts were fixed tomorrow I'd probably come back.  The problem Sky has is the more time I have to get used to the new way of doing things the less likely I will come back.

This message was authored by wdhayden This message was authored by: wdhayden

Has anyone been allowed out of their contract due to this issue? Or at least get bill credit? 

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@wdhayden wrote:

Has anyone been allowed out of their contract due to this issue? Or at least get bill credit? 

Yes. It's a bit of a pain getting to speak to the right people but several people on here have achieved both of these options. 

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Spectre01  Interested in your berdict of the Apple 4K box, picture quality/sound compared to your old W box ? I know there are some folks on some other forums with Apple sound drop outs. 
And with the other streaming services you can pay monthly. So not tied into the long term and can easily change if problems arise. 

This message was authored by Perfectionist+dur This message was authored by: Perfectionist+dur

@CyberFriday 
I have the Apple TV 4K latest box. Definition and sound superb. BUT the motion blur/judder is awful. I've switched back and forth from 50 and 60 MHz but can't seem to crack it. 
I find running all other apps (like Prime, Disney, ITV hub etc) is best through my LG smart TV. 
So I use Q box only for Sky viewing. 
I use Apple TV only for Apple viewing. 
My LG TV does everything else - without any faults. Yes, no faults at all. 
I run the sound out of my TV into my AV amp and no complaints.... until I watch Sky. 

This message was authored by Pistonhead This message was authored by: Pistonhead

@CyberFriday Not wishing to speak for @Spectre01 but I've got an AppleTV 4K and can't fault it - no problem with sound, picture quality is better than Q IMO and all the apps I use, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV+, iPlayer and all the catch-up channels work well. The only complaint I have is that there are no subtitles available on BBC iPlayer on AppleTV. Apparently the Beeb are working on it, but have been for the last several years (who does that sound like 🙂)

LG OLED65B1 • Apple TV 4K • Sky Superfast BB
This message was authored by ashleyfd This message was authored by: ashleyfd

@CyberFriday , not to distract from the topic at all but I found that changing the video settings on the Apple TV "match frame rate" to on solved all my juddering which was especially bad on panning shots.

This message was authored by Perfectionist+dur This message was authored by: Perfectionist+dur

@ashleyfd 

great! Thanks for that tip. I'll try it tonight. I would be such a bonus!

This message was authored by ashleyfd This message was authored by: ashleyfd

@Perfectionist+dur play around with the "match dynamic range" and "match frame rate" can't remember what I toggled both to off the top of my head but that definitely solved it. 

On the sound drop outs, when I spoke to someone on the complaints line they told me that when they themselves had the first q box at launch they had similar issues with sound and it took a few months to get the software fix. Either this is a story to make it sound okay that this is happening or a glimmer of hope that it may be fixed.... either way that lucky ******* still has his V1 box! 

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Perfectionist+dur @Pistonhead Thanks for the feedback on the Apple kit. Something i am considering as an option when my Sky contract is up for renewal. And @ashleyfd  for the config tip if i do end up on that path. 

This message was authored by paulben211 This message was authored by: paulben211

I have the issue as described.

On downloads and recordings every few mins the sound cuts out for a second.

Recently upgraded at a cost of £50 for the 2tb HDR box.

Annoyed. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion