Discussion topic: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Rhonny This message was authored by: Rhonny

Re: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Topmetom

Surely it's your amp that's at fault if it's not passing 2160p, not the Sky Q box? 

This message was authored by Topmetom This message was authored by: Topmetom

I know , iwas clutching at straws hoping..

This message was authored by Chodley This message was authored by: Chodley

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Topmetom It won't pass 1080p OR 2160p? But will direct?

This message was authored by Q-tips This message was authored by: Q-tips

@Q-tips wrote:

@notagain wrote:

@Q-tips Just because you have a gigabit network all wired up does not mean there wont be issues, also with the new AX 6E routers you can exceed Ethernet speeds (4.8Gbps) on 5Ghz and over 1. 2GBps on 24Ghz let alone the new 6Ghz which adds 1200MHz of spectrum so no DFS channels to use as long as your equipment can support it of course untill then wired is good but not really needed needed for everything, smart TV's generally only have 100Mbps Ethernet ports because 4K does not need more than that so even a wifi 5 router will be faster than Ethernet in that scenario.

Sky will only allow you to pull down recordings at a certain rate, if everyone could do it at Gigabit speeds it would swamp their servers, also what is your bufferbloat like? You really want to test a single stream for video streaming, not a multi stream test, try Thinkboadbands test which is both single then multii and see, (should be good with fibre) but the backhaul of the ISP can run hot and reduce speeds, also do they throttle or traffic shape?

What router are you using, as some won't go much over 740Mbps to 850Mbps WAN to LAN. You need to look on a site like smallnetbuilder and see which models have the best Wan to Lan throughput so you are getting as much as you can from a connection like that, at least you will never saturate it, well not yet hopefully.

@notagain what ethernet gives me is speed and consistency, aka TheHoly Grail. My fibre connection is not contended so I get pretty much the same results from various speed tests, time after time. And I never have any issues watching Netflix or Prime via my TV apps, or viewing 4K videos on Youtube, or watching the live stream from a 4K CCTV camera. My issues are certainly related to the SkyQ service or Sky hardware. FWIW, here's the results of today's Thinkbroadband test:

1626510826456843955-mini.png

I should add that I have also tried running SkyQ on wi-fi (which varies between 200Mbps and 600Mbps around my house but is over 400Mbps in the vicinity of both Minis - but typically more variable than the ethernet throughput) and I get exactly the same glitches.  And I get the same glitches when only the Mini I'm watching is active, no downloads are occurring and network activity elsewhere in the house is negligible.

A (good) Sky engineer came out to me yesterday and replaced and re-routed the dish cable and then swapped the boxes around so that the 4K box is now downstairs, replacing a Mini which was moved up to my son's bedroom. (Theoretically the box moves shouldn't make any difference on a wired mesh network but I went along with it - and he left the old coax cable in situ so we can easily reconnect the 4K box in its previous position if we want to.)

Anyway, 24 hours later, I haven't seen any glitches on the downstairs boxes. My son will report later on his new Mini.

The engineer and I agree that the new cable could only at best fix the "embedded" glitches, ie the pixelation which repeats on rewind and is viewable on all boxes so the other glitches, ie those which disappear on rewind, must have a different cause. But he was testing my system for three hours, including live remote testing online with his TAPS special ops team and they concluded that my gigabit FTTH wired network was faultless.

If the glitches return, he said I should look out for a new internet-only streaming Sky system, possibly by the end of this year.

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes
This message was authored by Kei+M This message was authored by: Kei+M

@Kei+M wrote:

You should be able to manually download the update as we've just enabled it.

We'll leave this thread for a few weeks and assuming nothing major comes to light we'll close it off and let people create their own threads around their own specific scenario as we're increasingly more confident that we've found a fix for the vast majority of people here.

And the time has arrived, thanks to everyone who contributed and helped us out 👍.

Thanks,

Kei
Community Manager

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion