Discussion topic: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by KevinJP This message was authored by: KevinJP

Re: HDR v3 box not fit for purpose (sound cutting out)

I'm keeping my eye on the thread ready for the fix - whether that's software or hardware. There's also the wifi/internet issue with sky q (another thread) to keep an eye on too. 

I dont think Sky will be inundated with requets for a new "v4" box to be honest as most people, unfortunately for us, just put up with these issues.

PS Hope the name calling etc has stopped now - it's only a sky forum with trivial (in context) problems. Nothing to get upset about!

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Fair comment @Ratinthekitchen I don't need to upgrade to a newer box my box does HDR with last year's update like the V3

Unless the new box does HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and supports 8k UHD but as my tv only supports HDR I would need to upgrade my TV for this.

Why would they give me a faulty V3 box  some boxes are faulty which include the V1 V2 and the non UHD 1TB box.

What if I  had the V1 then paid £50.00 and requested the V3 box then complained about the sound dropouts Then got refunded because I actually went for the V2 rather than having the same issue with getting a new v3 box replaced

Getting a refund having a V2 with no dropouts  if that offer was on the table why would I decline it.

This message was authored by wdhayden This message was authored by: wdhayden

Just adding my voice to the discussion....

I've had Sky Q since October and every recording or on demand show I watch, I get short one second sound drop outs around every 10/15 minutes. It can be annoying and hard to get lost in a great TV show when this happens. 
so I don't have to read through the entire thread, can someone let me know if Sky are aware about this and doing something about it? Thanks.  

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@wdhayden wrote:

Just adding my voice to the discussion....

I've had Sky Q since October and every recording or on demand show I watch, I get short one second sound drop outs around every 10/15 minutes. It can be annoying and hard to get lost in a great TV show when this happens. 
so I don't have to read through the entire thread, can someone let me know if Sky are aware about this and doing something about it? Thanks.  

They are aware and are apparently working on a fix. They are reluctant to give any time frame however, and it's already been going on for a very long time... 

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@inner8state 

How are you getting on with your "piece of card under the viewing card" fix?

Reason is that I had discussed this with a mate at the time and we caught up again on zoom at the weekend and naturally we were whinging about all the broken stuff... boilers... warming drawers... cars... and of course Sky Q box... he said he had tried the card trick and had seen a significant improvement... he binge watched 6 hours of Narcos and had zero drops...

Thought I'd see how you (and anyone else that tried it) had got on...

This message was authored by Nero1956 This message was authored by: Nero1956

Hi @inner8state,

I tried it. It had to be a thickish piece of paper as the gap is narrow. I was a bit worried that it would not eventually come out and, not being a health & safety expert, wondered if it could be a fire risk!

It didn't help reduce the drop outs for me, over one evening's viewing. 

This message was authored by inner8state This message was authored by: inner8state

regarding card trick i used a business card thick peice of cardboard puposefully left long to assist removal,removed the veiwing card then re-inserted both together veiwing card on top.regards fire risk i think the plastic card is just as flammable personally.also the box seems to run pretty cool.its still there sticking out of the side and no dropouts since.obviously i am not sponsoring this just thought i would try it and it seems to work.interested to hear if anyone else has had success with this.

This message was authored by Pistonhead This message was authored by: Pistonhead

@inner8state I tried it for a couple of days, but the occasional sound drops continued. 

LG OLED65B1 • Apple TV 4K • Sky Superfast BB
This message was authored by Dr+Wilson This message was authored by: Dr+Wilson

It's a joke! How long do we have to wait!

This message was authored by Lesterp This message was authored by: Lesterp

After several phone calls and emails, I've been offered a replacement box. Now I realise that I'm likely to get the same issues again, but Sky's reasoning was that not all of these latest boxes are affected - there may be a significant number with the fault, but the majority work fine.

So, I'm willing to give it a try and I'll report back ......

This message was authored by Larry+Duggan This message was authored by: Larry+Duggan

@Lesterp I doubt very much that some newer boxes are fault free. 
By all accounts Sky have admitted it's a software issue. 

This message was authored by Capt+Scott This message was authored by: Capt+Scott

My V2 box stopped working after 18 months last week and a replacement  box came two days later it was a V3.. I have just discovered I have this very same issue now which I never had with my old V2 box.

anything downloaded has the sound drop out issue regularly during playback.

really hope Sky sort this as soon as possible as it is so distracting and annoying!

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

Another impartial review.Is this part of Sky's campaign against the minority voice of this thread ?

I find it hard to believe that the people doing these reviews don't research these forums. If they do then they must have chosen to ignore these issues....

https://www.uswitch.com/tv/guides/sky-q-box-review/

This message was authored by best+of+the+best This message was authored by: best+of+the+best

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Capt+Scott I would have stuck with the V2 and requested a V2 replacement if that was the case

Most on here have upgraded to the V3 thinking that it was the better box seeing as V2 and V3 both do HDR with last year's update. 

Only the V1 wasn't capable of HDR obviously  newer isn't better fingers crossed that Sky have got V2 boxes if mine breaks down.

This message was authored by Capt+Scott This message was authored by: Capt+Scott

My V2 box had been working great with no issues until it just all of a sudden died. I contacted Sky who said they would send a replacement box out straight away. I had no knowledge of the issues with the V3 box and was actually really chuffed Sky had sent me the latest box. It's only after watching it for a few days I noticed the sound drop outs and started to look online and found this thread.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion