Discussion topic: HDR programming stops being HDR durinf the programme

This message was authored by Paul+Furlong This message was authored by: Paul+Furlong

HDR programming stops being HDR durinf the programme

Hi All, 

Rather odd situation has started occurring in last few days. 

I've been enjoying much of the HDR content recently. And without any specific pattern of occurrence, a programme or film that is output to my TV in HDR (HDR HLG  symbol pops up, and picture is evidently HDR etc) randomly stops being HDR whilst watching. Turning all off an on doesn't help. But if one stops playback and then restarts, it goes back to being HDR. Has anyone else had this? Any ideas!?

TV is LG UJ670V which automatically switches to my manually set HDR Cinema mode when HDR content detected. 

Sky Q 32B206, Q140.000.37.00L(58j9n5g)

2160 10bit output, via HDMI into Sky soundbox and into TV.

Merry Christmas all, and thanks in advance! 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: HDR programming stops being HDR durinf the programme

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Paul+Furlong wrote:

Hi All, 

Rather odd situation has started occurring in last few days. 

I've been enjoying much of the HDR content recently. And without any specific pattern of occurrence, a programme or film that is output to my TV in HDR (HDR HLG  symbol pops up, and picture is evidently HDR etc) randomly stops being HDR whilst watching. Turning all off an on doesn't help. But if one stops playback and then restarts, it goes back to being HDR. Has anyone else had this? Any ideas!?

TV is LG UJ670V which automatically switches to my manually set HDR Cinema mode when HDR content detected. 

Sky Q 32B206, Q140.000.37.00L(58j9n5g)

2160 10bit output, via HDMI into Sky soundbox and into TV.

Merry Christmas all, and thanks in advance! 

Hi @Paul+Furlong 

One thing to try is a different HDMI lead if possible 

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@Paul+Furlong wrote:

Yes, this happens. Restarting playback reinstates HDR. For me typically happens about 2 hours into a film.  Already reported to Sky

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by Roger+Peters This message was authored by: Roger+Peters

@tarbat 

"Already reported to Sky at https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/The-Lounge/HDR-Sky-Cinema-titles/m-p/3539741#M643"

Pretty sure than unless you have permission to access the lounge, others won't be able to view this. 

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@Roger+Peters wrote:
Pretty sure than unless you have permission to access the lounge, others won't be able to view this. 

My mistake.

TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by DragonINC This message was authored by: DragonINC

Same issue with me.... have all the latest spec HDMI cables so no issues with handshake - interestingly enough it has only happened on movies - nothing like this has happened on any of the documentaries that I have watched....

The films that it has happened to are Bloodshot, BTTF parts 1,2 & 3, HP & the chamber of secrets/prisoner of azkaban - and is very annoying!

On a side note - the audio that accompanies the films that 'glitch' seems to be of a lower quality as well.... very muddy with what seems to be a very limited dynamic range that is incredibly low in volume - I compared the standard UHD version of HP and the audio seemed a lot clearly though sadly not dolby atmos on either download 🤷‍♂️!!!

Paul+Furlong
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Furlong This message was authored by: Paul+Furlong

Yes, I have tried, and have high end cables. Thanks for reply. 

Paul+Furlong
Topic Author

Thanks for reply. Will report as well, to ensure it gets fed through to development teams 👍

Paul+Furlong
Topic Author

@DragonINC almost exactly the same films! Good to know it's not just me, but will also report to Sky so they don't think it's isolated. 👍

Paul+Furlong
Topic Author

@tarbat

Thanks for reply. Will report as well to add to the feedback

So..... watched HP & the order of the Phoenix & the HDR switched off.... AGAIN!

Did a full system switch off (unplugged left for 5 mins!) and it still did it.... but at a different point in the movie 🤷‍♂️!

it is getting to the point where it is starting to ruin the film - as I am on the look out for the switch to STD UHD!!! 

it seems like the only logical explanation is a software issue, I am just a tad confused how it is possible as there are 2 UHD versions available for download - HDR UHD & UHD. I know that an HDR signal is usually embedded  within the file to ensure backwards compatibility but did not realise that was the STD with HLG HDR as I assumed that it was tailored for HDR specific viewing.... hence the reason for having 2 different UHD versions instead of just the one 🤔!

Anyone else still have issues? 

This message was authored by Carol+N This message was authored by: Carol+N

Yes, same problem, though not just with movies. I also have the issue of HDR randomly dropping out and reverting to SDR on normal Sky Q programmes, eg Tin Star, as well as Netflix shows. Reported to Sky this morning and, after checking with a "super user", was told that Sky are aware of and working on the issue, and that it's one of a number of known teething problems with the brand new Sky Q HDR box. I pointed that that, having specifically paid to upgrade to the HDR box, not being able to properly watch HDR programmes (ie without waiting for the HDR signal to drop out) wasn't acceptable and that if a solution wasn't quickly forthcoming I'd expect some compensation. 

This message was authored by Carol+N This message was authored by: Carol+N

Posted elsewhere but reproduced here for reference. 

Yes, same problem, though not just with movies. I also have the issue of HDR randomly dropping out and reverting to SDR on normal Sky Q programmes, eg Tin Star, as well as Netflix shows. Reported to Sky this morning and, after checking with a "super user", was told that Sky are aware of and working on the issue, and that it's one of a number of known teething problems with the brand new Sky Q HDR box. I pointed that that, having specifically paid to upgrade to the HDR box, not being able to properly watch HDR programmes (ie without waiting for the HDR signal to drop out) wasn't acceptable and that if a solution wasn't quickly forthcoming I'd expect some compensation. 

At this point I am surprised more are not talking about the issue - my family are going the through the HP box set and EVERY movie so far has been affected.... the one we watched this eve (deathly hallows pt1) it happened twice....

I understand that they may be aware of it BUT I would like sky to actually acknowledge the fault by making users aware instead - at least we will then know something is being done to correct it!

It has really put a dampener on something I have been waiting YEARS for - HDR programming!!!

This message was authored by ids777 This message was authored by: ids777

oh my god - THIS is so annoying!

The randon audio glitches i could deal with - but this a real issue!

Please can someone (from Sky?) verify this is being worked on?

LG OLED55E9

SKY Q v3? 

HW - 32B206 , 

SW - Q140.00.37.00L

I am only aware of this relavively recently i.e. Dec/Jan

Bad Boys for Life (Download) - first what it dropped 3 times;  Stop/Start require to re-enable,  changed the HDMI cable (from an uncertifiied HDMI 2.1, to the Sky supplied cable),  replayed BBfL no drops - great i thought... 

BUT then

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker streaming from the sky box Disney+ app - dropped,  a Pause/Rewind re-enabled HDR...

Captin Marvel - again sky box Disney+,  dropped at least once per hour

Harry Potter 1 (downloaded): dropped twice in the first 40mins

Where as i can watch the Disney+ App installed on the TV - no issues!  (although this is Dolby Vision,  not HLG  used by Sky)

Sky-Q is not fit for purpose!

Does anyone think this HDR glitch is connected to the audio glitch reported? 
i.e. 'random' HDMI errors from Sky-Q,   sometimes affecting the sound,  sometimes affecting the UHD/HDR?

(https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/Sound-cutting-out/td-p/2894496/page/100)

BR
IDS

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion