Discussion topic: Extra Channels

This message was authored by JW.LEES This message was authored by: JW.LEES

Extra Channels

Hi, I have Sky Q, I used to have the DRX895W box and it allowed us to add extra channels if you knew the transponder frequencies, like UTV, STV etc. Can this be done on these new boxes because I would like to catch up with the local news in the area where I used to live ?

Best Answers
This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

Re: Extra Channels

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@JW.LEES wrote:

Hi, I have Sky Q, I used to have the DRX895W box and it allowed us to add extra channels if you knew the transponder frequencies, like UTV, STV etc. Can this be done on these new boxes because I would like to catch up with the local news in the area where I used to live ?

Hi @JW.LEES 

Yes you can still do manual tuning on Sky Q.

However you cannot add them them to the TV Guide and have to go to manual tuning each time to view them.

Manual tuning is found in Q Home - Settings

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella Answer

@JW.LEES wrote:

Hi @JW.LEES 

Yes you can still do manual tuning on Sky Q.

However you cannot add them them to the TV Guide and have to go to manual tuning each time to view them.

Manual tuning is found in Q Home - Settings

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@JW.LEES  See below for codes

Sky channel codes 

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
JW.LEES
Topic Author

One other question, after I have put the other channels in the main box will I be able to view them on my Mini Q box

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

@JW.LEES wrote:

One other question, after I have put the other channels in the main box will I be able to view them on my Mini Q box

Hi @JW.LEES 

Looks like you can.

Manual tuning comes on mini menu and asks you to add channels on the main Q box.

Therefore you should be able to access them through the minis

JW.LEES
Topic Author

Thank you

This message was authored by Maz This message was authored by: Maz

It's about time that sky allowed you to add these channels to your favourites

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Maz wrote:

What channels @Maz ?

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Maz wrote:

As the SKY Q boxes are owned by SKY and have to be returned to them when the subscription ends the business need to allow channels not included with the subscription just is not there

I know it is frustrating for people who wish to view the channels that are not included but to be honest there are very few on Astra 2E/F/G. I think the majority that people might want  are the UK channels that are not available in Ireland but that is a deliberate choice by the channels involved.

BTW I am guessing the frustration is more the lack of EPG/ability to record rather than being added to favourites

As I say, I do know it can be frustrating as I used to watch TV5 Europe via Astra2 using SKY Q manually  when it left the EPG before it eventually stopped on Astra 2.

Sky boxes has never really been a system for other channels, even in the days on Astra 1 when it was analogue  & the move to Astra 2 which is primarily UK & Ireland centric narrowed the list of other channels available considerably 

I think some of the European TV Providers own boxes may also be limited in a simalar way - I don't have direct experience of such boxes.

There are quite a few multi channel / satellite capable receivers availble but of course they can't be used for SKY (although can be for Freesat channels) - I have such a receiver to watch FTA channels from several Satellites but the EPG on many channels can still be limited with many that I watch only able to see what is on now & next 

Manually added channels. Ie regional itv channels. They have the defunct BBC regions, so why not ITV? 

@Maz wrote:

Manually added channels. Ie regional itv channels. They have the defunct BBC regions, so why not ITV? 

I have no personal knowledge but I am guessing it is a decision by ITV,  possibly to protect advertising as they probably want you to see the adverts targetted at your area rather than from another region

Freeview  via land based transmitters of course is restricted to the local region we can receive - only those on fringe areas can get more than one via tesrrestrial aerials 

The problem with that is my area is meridian south, but Sky insist that it's London. 

@Maz wrote:

The problem with that is my area is meridian south, but Sky insist that it's London. 

Unfortunately I can see that where the system used by SKY doesn't match local terestrial  transmitters that is a problem - I presume you have queried the setting for your Post code with SKY 

(I have no idea who actually decides)

So as per my original comment, if we could add manually tuned channels to favourites the problem would be solved. 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion