Discussion topic: Does using SE210 create a mesh WiFi?

This message was authored by RobStuPot This message was authored by: RobStuPot

Does using SE210 create a mesh WiFi?

I have Sky FTTP with a SR203 WiFi router. If I add a SE210 in another room, does that expand a mesh WiFi, or is it another type of extender?

Ideally I'd want to put in multiple SE210 around my house to ensure that I have a solid 5Ghz connection on the same SSID.

Best Answers
This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

Re: Does using SE210 create a mesh WiFi?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RobStuPot 

That will form a mesh with the second node forming part of the mesh network 

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk Answer

@RobStuPot 

That will form a mesh with the second node forming part of the mesh network 

Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

RobStuPot
Topic Author

The first node being the sky WiFi router, and the second being the se210? Can I add more than one se210?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@RobStuPot 

You can have six nodes

The router

Any sky q main box

Any mini boxes

And any se210 mesh units

RobStuPot
Topic Author

Ok, so as I've already got a sky Q box and sky WiFi router, that's 2 out of 6 of my nodes used.

I could add 2 x se210, and 2 x sky Q minis?

If I install a sky Q mini box, does that also do the same job as an se210(obviously providing access to SkyQ at the same time) and extend the mesh WiFi?

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

@RobStuPot 

In terms of connecting up your smart home tech, the good news is that it isn't just the Sky Q Hub doing all of the Wi-Fi leg work. Every component of the Sky Q system – whether that's one of the main boxes or a Q Mini box – acts as a node within a home Wi-Fi mesh network.

RobStuPot
Topic Author

Sounds great, are there any downsides of using the sky kit for the mesh as opposed to a 3rd party system like tplink etc?

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RobStuPot 

I suspect it's worth remembering that the mesh capability of Q hardware is a free add-on rather than its primary purpose (and that Q boxes are not an ideal shape for good wireless propagation).

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

@RobStuPot 

Need to keep in mind adding more mesh nodes may actually slow your WiFi down. Adding boosters where they are not needed can cause total network stalls & slowdowns

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@RobStuPot Inwould support what @jamesn123 and @TimmyBGood say. I used the Q mesh for some years and definitely found less is more.

Having fewer nodes with faster backhaul worked well. In my case I used powerline adapters to improve the backhaul of the 2 most distant of my 4 nodes (both Q TV boxes). That setup was much faster than using boosters to get a reliable signal to those units. Each wifi jump halves the overall speed so while the number of nodes you need depends on the layout of your home but try to use the minmum you can.. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion