Discussion topic: Changed my router, why would Sky Go stop working?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

DRY411S
Topic Author
This message was authored by DRY411S This message was authored by: DRY411S

Re: Changed my router, why would Sky Go stop working?

@TimmyBGood wrote:

I note that model is one advertised as coming with 'Air Protection Pro' 

Is this something you've investigated?

AI Protection Pro is about protecting the LAN from malicious activity on the WAN. I don't think it's relevant. Is was ON but switching it OFF has not cured the issue.

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@DRY411S 

It has to be a setting on your router or some oddity in your setup because I run a AX88u and can access my Sky Q recordings fine via the app

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@DRY411S  have you performed a network reset on your sky Q tv box's after installing the asus?

That would be your next step...

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
DRY411S
Topic Author
This message was authored by DRY411S This message was authored by: DRY411S Answer

I've identified the cause of the issue.

The router installation wizard did not use the DHCP option 61 with user@skydsl|password to configure the WAN.

Instead, it enabled 802.1Q , set VLAN ID to 101, the 802.1P setting to 0, and put a 6 digit code in DHCP option 61.

The managed switch in my picture in the 2nd post above is old. It does not support 802.1Q protocol.

If I plug the Sky Q box directly into the router, bypassing the switch, I can access the recordings.

Time to buy a new switch I guess, since I have failed several times to manually set the user@skydsl|password option that others have suceeded with.

Thank you @TimmyBGood@jamesn123 @TomThumb5ive for all your suggestions. They helped me focus in on the root cause. It is strange though that with the router provided by Sky (ER115), it was all working perfectly.

DRY411S
Topic Author
This message was authored by DRY411S This message was authored by: DRY411S

Just to confirm that replacing the old switch with one that supports 802.1Q protocol, has cured this iissue.

For the record I bought a TP-Link TL-SG105E 5-Port Gigabit Easy Smart Switch 

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion