Discussion topic: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by hotnuts2121 This message was authored by: hotnuts2121

Re: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

This thread has been really enlightening so thanks all. My question is around the dreaded Adverts!!

Currently we watch live sport, bakeoff, taskmaster etc about 20 mins behind time. This allows us to fast forward the many many adverts (especially at half time).

Glass seems to have pause, rewind, restart but no mention of FF, except in some small text that says FF adverts is free for a year then will cost X amount per month. (can't remember how much). My reading of this is sky is going to charge us to be able to FF 'live' programmes 'recorded' with adverts ?? Anyone have any details on this?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@hotnuts2121 it is probable you will be able to fast forward through most ads but given thst people should be getting their hands on sets by this time next week I ebould hold off from ordering if this is a deal breaker for you.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Chrisee wrote:

@hotnuts2121 it is probable you will be able to fast forward through most ads but given thst people should be getting their hands on sets by this time next week I ebould hold off from ordering if this is a deal breaker for you.

@Chrisee  It says on Sky's own advertising "..Fast forward ads included free for 12 months, then £5 a month to keep or simply remove it"

https://www.sky.com/glass/technical-specifications?dcmp=knc-ggl-brn-nc-co-14412030705-sky+glass&gcli...

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@hotnuts2121 , at a guess, I'd think it might follow the same "ad-free" model that Sky offer on their NOW TV £5 per month boost:

QUOTE: If you upgrade to Boost, you won't see ads when you watch on-demand shows, movies and sport. You'll still see promotional trailers for shows, movies and events you can access, as well as ads that appear on live channels.

Hopefully next week we'll know for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by sceptic101 This message was authored by: sceptic101

For anyone wanting to see how recording will work have a look at YouTube TV, where it calls the playlist the library. If you are recording a live TV show you can see it in your library and start watching it whilst it is still recording. I assume Sky will behave similarly. See HERE for a quick overview. 

Drx-890W (4f31b7, Main, 2TB, Active Mode, Powerline 1200 av2)
Drx-890W (4f3127, Secondary, 2TB, Active Mode, Hardwired, S.F. Mode)
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Sky Fibre Unlimited (STB's only)
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@tarbat wrote:

@hotnuts2121 , at a guess, I'd think it might follow the same "ad-free" model that Sky offer on their NOW TV £5 per month boost:

QUOTE: If you upgrade to Boost, you won't see ads when you watch on-demand shows, movies and sport. You'll still see promotional trailers for shows, movies and events you can access, as well as ads that appear on live channels.

Yes, I think that'll prove correct. You should be able to 'Playlist' a 'Live' show and FF the adverts, but only up until you catch up to the live feed obviously.

This message was authored by Khushba This message was authored by: Khushba

@Anonymous wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

Yes, I think that'll prove correct. You should be able to 'Playlist' a 'Live' show and FF the adverts, but only up until you catch up to the live feed obviously.

WHAT!!! You mean Sky Glass won't allow me to FF live channels into the future? FAIL!!!  That's me out then, I'll take my custom to VirginMedia, thank you very much 

@Khushba I'd recommend adding a smiley bud, you're about to get a load of posts aimed at you 🙂

@Khushba wrote:
WHAT!!! You mean Sky Glass won't allow me to FF live channels into the future? FAIL!!!  That's me out then, I'll take my custom to VirginMedia, thank you very much 

I think the question is more about whether you'll be able to FF the adverts that appear in recordings made from live broadcasts.

Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc

This message was authored by Khushba This message was authored by: Khushba

@Anonymous wrote:

@Khushba I'd recommend adding a smiley bud, you're about to get a load of posts aimed at you 🙂

🤣😂🤣

@tarbat wrote:

@Khushba wrote:

I think the question is more about whether you'll be able to FF the adverts that appear in recordings made from live broadcasts.

I can't see why not, after all, most catchup was 'live' at some point. You just won't be able to go past the 'live' stream.

@Anonymous wrote:
I can't see why not, after all, most catchup was 'live' at some point. You just won't be able to go past the 'live' stream.

I bold assumption given that's not how it works on Sky's NOW TV service. If you watch something from the live broadcast, you can't pause, rewind, fast forward at all. You're locked to just playing the live stream.  Even if you've paid the £5 boost subscription.

I presume Sky will be using their Adsmart technology to deliver the adverts in programme. And ITV will continue to use Planet V.

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@tarbat wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I bold assumption given that's not how it works on Sky's NOW TV service. If you watch something from the live broadcast, you can't pause, rewind, fast forward at all. You're locked to just playing the live stream.  Even if you've paid the £5 boost subscription.

I presume Sky will be using their Adsmart technology to deliver the adverts in programme.

Sky have already said it's possible to pause, fast forward and rewind live streams, so we know they're different to Now

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Surely, initially, everything will be able to be FF just as it is now on Sky+ and Sky Q. It's in 12 months time when ad-skipping becomes optional that we don't know what will be skippable or not without paying the £5.

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

@rscott wrote:
Sky have already said it's possible to pause, fast forward and rewind live streams, so we know they're different to Now 

I must have missed that. All I can see mentioned is "Live pause, rewind, restart". No mention of fast-forward.

393F894E-2E85-43AD-A8BD-A149F0169D67.jpeg

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion