Discussion topic: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

Re: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

If you add a broadcast programme to your Playlist so that it gets recorded to the cloud, and that same programme is also available on catchup, which expiry date will apply?  12 months after the broadcast, or whatever the expiry date is on catchup?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@tarbat wrote:

If you add a broadcast programme to your Playlist so that it gets recorded to the cloud, and that same programme is also available on catchup, which expiry date will apply?  12 months after the broadcast, or whatever the expiry date is on catchup?

I'd guess the 'recorded' programme would expire after 12 months, but you'd then be able to find it as an on demand item. But that's simply a guess - doing otherwise would require the broadcasters to succesfully link the items and we know how bad they are at doing that at the moment.

This message was authored by AaronC88 This message was authored by: AaronC88

It's not a case of understanding it from the point of content available through catch-up or on demand services but more content only available when broadcast and being able to make that available to watch at your own convenience rather than the schedule like they currently do with recordings on Q or +. 

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@rscott wrote:

@fizzdisco wrote:

It seems like this 'does it record?' question is still bamboozling a lot of people. It really shouldn't.

It sounds like the new Glass system will in effect be very much like the Apple TV OS system that many of us have been using for a while now. With that I can add programmes from various apps to my watchlist (or Playlist in Glass terminology) such as Strictly on iPlayer, or The Mandalorian on Disney+, Squid Game on Netflix, Corrie on ITV Hub. Whenever I've watched an episode of each of those series it'll automatically keep track of it on the main viewing rail and tell me when the next ep is available, or if it already is available it will be ready on the viewing rail of the watchlist. I can then just select it and the appropriate app will open with the correct episode ready to play. 

If I want to use voice control I can just use Siri and say 'play the next episode of The Mandalorian' and it'll automatically remember what episode I've watched up to, open Disney+ and start playing the next unwatched episode.  

I'm assuming that Sky Glass will work very similarly to this. It should, in theory, be much more intuitive than Sky Q with its obomination of programme stacking when recording, so you have no clear idea what's been watched and what hasn't and end up deleting things you haven't yet seen. 

The simplicity and speed of the Apple TV OS system has led me to use it much more than Sky Q in the past year, hence the fact I'll be dumping Sky when my contract is up next year. If the Glass OS comes anywhere close to the useability of Apple's then I'll probably re-join at some point, whenever Sky have seen sense and released the pucks as stand-alone devices. 

The playlist will let you add content from the on demand services, plus any recordings you schedule from the TV guide will appear there too. Those will point to cloud recordings on Sky's system - they're available for 12 months, whereas the app ones are dependent on the provider.

Sky are saying the playlist will highlight content due to expire in the next 30 days.

So it's exactly what the Apple TV OS does already pretty much, as I said. Sky Glass has the USP of having a full EPG of content from which to add to the watchlist. If it works well then the puck could be an excellent alternative to an Apple TV 4K box. Just without the Apple TV app. 

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

So with this "magical" service where you are viewing a "live" broadcast then there will be some delay, a bit like the satellite uplink/downlink broadcast delay. But, with glass that delay will be pushing the live broadcast onto their "magical" backend servers and then streaming that to the users who have that program in their playlist.  Assuming customers want to still view a live broadcast in real time then how will that delay compare to q viewers on statellite ? And of course with the glass model we are creeping closer to "Tomorrow Never Dies" with Elliot Carver  😉  

This message was authored by Khushba This message was authored by: Khushba

@CyberFriday wrote:

So with this "magical" service where you are viewing a "live" broadcast then there will be some delay, a bit like the satellite uplink/downlink broadcast delay. But, with glass that delay will be pushing the live broadcast onto their "magical" backend servers and then streaming that to the users who have that program in their playlist.  Assuming customers want to still view a live broadcast in real time then how will that delay compare to q viewers on statellite ? And of course with the glass model we are creeping closer to "Tomorrow Never Dies" with Elliot Carver  😉  

That's a very long winded way of saying Sky Glass doesn't interest you.  Fair enough. 

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@CyberFriday wrote:

Sky have said the delay is around 20 seconds compared to Q. That's for HD - not sure about UHD.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@fizzdisco Ahh, that makes sense.

I'm not sure about not bamboozling people though, I've never personally used Apple TV and it's a definite change in mindset. I can see the wife getting frustrated to start with, which she'll take out on yours truely 🙂

This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@Anonymous wrote:

@fizzdisco Ahh, that makes sense.

I'm not sure about not bamboozling people though, I've never personally used Apple TV and it's a definite change in mindset. I can see the wife getting frustrated to start with, which she'll take out on yours truely 🙂

Yes indeed - a definite change in mindset. You'll soon get used to it though.

If the Glass interface works smoothly then it shouldn't be too different to how Q works at the moment. By the look of it it'll have the same thumbnail style ordering for the playlist as it currently does for recordings so they haven't changed anything too radically. 

This message was authored by CyberFriday This message was authored by: CyberFriday

@Khushba wrote:

@CyberFriday wrote:

That's a very long winded way of saying Sky Glass doesn't interest you.  Fair enough. 

With deductive powers like this i do hope you aren't in or thinking of joining the police..

This message was authored by Sonia666 This message was authored by: Sonia666

@fizzdisco wrote:

It seems like this 'does it record?' question is still bamboozling a lot of people. It really shouldn't.

It sounds like the new Glass system will in effect be very much like the Apple TV OS system that many of us have been using for a while now. With that I can add programmes from various apps to my watchlist (or Playlist in Glass terminology) such as Strictly on iPlayer, or The Mandalorian on Disney+, Squid Game on Netflix, Corrie on ITV Hub. Whenever I've watched an episode of each of those series it'll automatically keep track of it on the main viewing rail and tell me when the next ep is available, or if it already is available it will be ready on the viewing rail of the watchlist. I can then just select it and the appropriate app will open with the correct episode ready to play. 

If I want to use voice control I can just use Siri and say 'play the next episode of The Mandalorian' and it'll automatically remember what episode I've watched up to, open Disney+ and start playing the next unwatched episode.  

I'm assuming that Sky Glass will work very similarly to this. It should, in theory, be much more intuitive than Sky Q with its obomination of programme stacking when recording, so you have no clear idea what's been watched and what hasn't and end up deleting things you haven't yet seen. 

The simplicity and speed of the Apple TV OS system has led me to use it much more than Sky Q in the past year, hence the fact I'll be dumping Sky when my contract is up next year. If the Glass OS comes anywhere close to the useability of Apple's then I'll probably re-join at some point, whenever Sky have seen sense and released the pucks as stand-alone devices. 

This I get. 

What hasn't been made clear is live tv especially things that aren't actually on demand. This "add to playlist" function is all well and good but it seems the programs have to be available on demand.

Again going back to my example - I might flick over to one of the music channels during adverts on another show and they might be showing something like 30 turning 30 this year. Another example is the Horror channel or Forces TV might show a classic show that isn't on demand. Obviously with Sky Q I can just record this on to the hard drive. So I guess the short version of my question is what happens when a show isn't avaialable on demand? 

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@Sonia666 wrote:
So I guess the short version of my question is what happens when a show isn't avaialable on demand? 

You can record it to the cloud, up to a maximum of 1000 hours of recordings. At least that's the theory.

TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@Sonia666 If a programme is not available from On Demand it will be taken from the Live stream and stored "Magically" in the cloud, how this is achieved does not matter all that matters is you can watch it from your Playlist in the same manner as you watch stuff from your planer now

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by Khushba This message was authored by: Khushba

@Sonia666 wrote:

So I guess the short version of my question is what happens when a show isn't avaialable on demand? 

As long as you added the show to your "Playlist" from the TV Guide before it finished airing, it will be kept in the cloud for 12 months.  

If you add a show from the On Deman, it will be kept in your playlist inline with the expiry policy of the on demand service

This message was authored by Sonia666 This message was authored by: Sonia666

If what @Annie+UK and @Khushba saynis right that's perfect - I'm not bothered about how it does it, I just wanted to know if the system would store non on-demand stuff somehow still. 

As long as it does that I think I'm interested depending on the channel line up.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion