Discussion topic: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

Re: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@tarbat wrote:

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Can this be done with Sky Glass?

Yes, that's the theory. Feature set says "Live pause, rewind, restart". Of course none of us have seen it in action.

You speak for yourself 🙂

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@NewtonBoy wrote 

• Can this be done with Sky Glass?

It would be a major stumbling block if it couldn't. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by MH2020 This message was authored by: MH2020

"Playlist items have a 12 month lifespan before then disappear of the list"

1, whos play list,  A single persons or everyones.

2, mproblem with this. I have recordings going back longer than that , that I will eventually watch.

But they are no longer avalible on Sky or any in some cases any other service.

With the stream rage going on it seems all services are fighting for content. I often notice that the time something is avalible on sky and the likes off bbc are getting shorter.

And if the end up on the likes of Prime you may have to pay for them to ever be able to watch them.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@MH2020It is the same as  Q everyone gets the same play list either on the TV or Puck.

As yet no individual folders which I was looking for.

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MH2020 currently it is a single playlist I believe but Sky are looking to have multiple play lists for users.

No Sky TV system is suitable for long term archival storeage as hard disc fail unpredicatbly so you could lose your collection tomorrow. You are correct that rights packages vary but at least with Glass something moves from say Sky to Prime you should stlll be able to access it assuming you have the right subs. Also Glass's play lists wont fail due to a disc going phut.

The concept of consumers having long term "ownership" of content has already gone as recordings can and are deleted remotely from Q and Sky+HD boxes. The studio are in the business of getting you to pay to view their programming hopefully multiple times. If you want reasonably long term storage buy DVDs etc but you will note nobody sells a Bluray recorder thst can record HD content protected by HDCP. 

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MH2020 wrote:

2, mproblem with this. I have recordings going back longer than that , that I will eventually watch.

As we've often remarked, even on current Sky platforms, Recordings don't 'belong' to the subscriber: with Sky+ we owned the hard drive but not the data on it, and with Sky Q we don't even own the box.  Glass appears to be continuing that trend.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@Chrisee 

@Chrisee wrote:

@MH2020 currently it is a single playlist I believe but Sky are looking to have multiple play lists for users.

No Sky TV system is suitable for long term archival storeage as hard disc fail unpredicatbly so you could lose your collection tomorrow. You are correct that rights packages vary but at least with Glass something moves from say Sky to Prime you should stlll be able to access it assuming you have the right subs. Also Glass's play lists wont fail due to a disc going phut.

The concept of consumers having long term "ownership" of content has already gone as recordings can and are deleted remotely from Q and Sky+HD boxes. The studio are in the business of getting you to pay to view their programming hopefully multiple times. If you want reasonably long term storage buy DVDs etc but you will note nobody sells a Bluray recorder thst can record HD content protected by HDCP. 

I understand about disk storage not being a reliable way of keeping content  long term.

But it is not about longterm storage in the sense of ownership I am talking about. 
I know I do not own them and never will contest that. But the premis of being allowed to record is about being able to watch when it suits you at least once.

The sort of programs I am taling about a normally long running shows where you need a break from them.

Once watched I delete them. 

@TimmyBGood 

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@MH2020 wrote:

As we've often remarked, even on current Sky platforms, Recordings don't 'belong' to the subscriber: with Sky+ we owned the hard drive but not the data on it, and with Sky Q we don't even own the box.  Glass appears to be continuing that trend.

sigh..
I never braught up ownership or implied that I felt I owned anything.

I do not contest ownership nor do I feel just because I have it recorded it I own it.

My point is loosing the ability of being able to watch something that will disappear before I get a chance to watch it once.

losing 

This message was authored by DrMips This message was authored by: DrMips

I believe only live TV will expire after 1 year. If your program is included in the box sets, netflix, prime etc.. then they will be available until the platforms stop paying for the broadcast rights.

-----------------
Sky Glass 55" | 1 Puck | Virgin 1Gb
Principal Software Engineer
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK

@MH2020 wrote:

<snip>

My point is loosing the ability of being able to watch something that will disappear before I get a chance to watch it once.

You have 12 months to watch stuff from your playlist, if you cannot work with that then forget about getting Sky Glass

Annie  ( Please Note: I am Neurodivergent )
This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@MH2020 the fact it disappears off you list does not mean the content has disappeared so Glass might work for you but a lot depends on the material you want to watch. If you take a long running series like "Greys Ananotmy" seasons switch between platforms all the time but at least Glass will tell you where they are when you want to watch them. Last weekend I was looking for Ice Age the first film. Looked at 4 platforms before I found them on Disney+.Glass should have told me thst with one voice search. 

Like you I watch a lot of things way behind the transmission dates one example is Lucifer where first four series were on Prime but the last 2 are on Netfix. I record relatively little off air but use the downloads a lot. I would hold off ordering until you can hear from people how it works in practice after all we have only seen a glossy presentation so far.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by Petekil This message was authored by: Petekil

If I haven't watched something I recorded over a year ago, I'm never going to watch it...

This message was authored by Ukpils This message was authored by: Ukpils

How does the 1000 hours recording to the cloud compare with the 2gb sky Q box?

This message was authored by DrMips This message was authored by: DrMips

Sky Q's 2TB is equivalent to 1000 hours of SD recording. I'm assuming the new one is 1000 hours of HD.

-----------------
Sky Glass 55" | 1 Puck | Virgin 1Gb
Principal Software Engineer

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion