Discussion topic: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

Re: Can you record sky tv programmes on sky glass tv ? How ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Ammo79Yes but it seems even more magic than that as once you have "marked" a programme it allows you to watch it on whatever channel it is shown on. Sky are moving from concentrating on channels and moving to programmes (sorry if that did not make sense)

But the simple answer is yes.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

It's content oriented rather than channel oriented as @bob1234 says. It does require you to change the way you approach your TV, presumably Q will follow suit (or maybe not).

Virgin have a half-cocked version where if you search for something specific, it'll tell you how you can watch it (iPlayer, Netflix, Live or VMS for instance).

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Petekil wrote

• Currently if you set a programme to record, you can start watching it while it's still being shown live. A lot of programmes for example on bbc aren't available on demand for quite a while after being shown live. Any idea if you add a programme to the playlist that will be on later that day are you still able to start watching it say 10 mins after it's started?

This is a key point, especially for live sport. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@Ammo79 wrote

• Yes you can do that no but will it be stored from a 1am record to watch at 8pm later that day?

I'd imagine that the key here is that you still have to flag it to record beforehand like you do now, otherwise wait for it to be on Catch Up 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@oj01 wrote:

@Ammo79 wrote

• Yes you can do that no but will it be stored from a 1am record to watch at 8pm later that day?

I'd imagine that the key here is that you still have to flag it to record beforehand like you do now, otherwise wait for it to be on Catch Up 

That should be no problem: the more interesting use case is where a subscriber hits 'add to playlist' during a live event and then wants to start viewing the 'Recording' in a few minutes.  If the playback is actually of an on-demand item rather than a Recording in the old sense, what, if any, is the processing time for the channel concerned to prepare the content for distribution in that way?

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by mezzor83 This message was authored by: mezzor83

And so then if I want to pause something such as a live game of football? Where is it being stored until I press play? Not sure about this after reading through this thread. I love my sky q and the continue options from turning off downstairs and continuing upstairs, everything being stored on the 1 box and freely viewable from.all.mini boxes is great but seems some of this may now be restricted or just the information is not readily available. Surely they could just integrate a small 2 tb or more hard drive internally.

This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@mezzor83 wrote:

And so then if I want to pause something such as a live game of football? Where is it being stored until I press play? Not sure about this after reading through this thread. I love my sky q and the continue options from turning off downstairs and continuing upstairs, everything being stored on the 1 box and freely viewable from.all.mini boxes is great but seems some of this may now be restricted or just the information is not readily available. Surely they could just integrate a small 2 tb or more hard drive internally.

Adding any local storage goes completely against the whole principle of a streaming system. 

A hard drive is also the most common point of failure and one of the components with the highest power consumption.

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

@mezzor83 wrote:

And so then if I want to pause something such as a live game of football? Where is it being stored until I press play?

Presumably in the cloud, on Comcast's server farm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by Robeast This message was authored by: Robeast

Are you able to connect a USB hard drive to record on ?

@Robeast wrote:

Are you able to connect a USB hard drive to record on ?

No.

Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc

This message was authored by Ammo79 This message was authored by: Ammo79

This all confusing me now if I add say something to my playlist on BT Sport that's on at 1am that's does not go on sky on demand will it record and I can watch later that day??

This message was authored by Khushba This message was authored by: Khushba

@Ammo79 yes I believe it will be saved in the cloud for you to watch within the next 12 months. 

@Ammo79 wrote:

This all confusing me now if I add say something to my playlist on BT Sport that's on at 1am that's does not go on sky on demand will it record and I can watch later that day??

Yes, that's the theory. Recorded in the cloud for you to view later.

This message was authored by NewtonBoy This message was authored by: NewtonBoy

Was out earlier tonight and I put the England match on to record on my Sky Q.    Came home during the match, FF through the intro watched the first half.  FF through half time chat and ads and now watching the second half, but still behind live. 

Can this be done with Sky Glass?

@NewtonBoy wrote:

Can this be done with Sky Glass?

Yes, that's the theory. Feature set says "Live pause, rewind, restart". Of course none of us have seen it in action.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion