Discussion topic: Can I get Sky to block a website for me that I am addicted to?

This message was authored by Matt+JGM This message was authored by: Matt+JGM

Can I get Sky to block a website for me that I am addicted to?

Blocking the site at the router level is no good as I keep going and unblocking it that way. I have a mental problem and can't be in control of when I visit the site, and when I can't control myself I just unblock it. Is this something I can get in contact with Sky about to permanently block it on their end? Thanks

Best Answers
This message was authored by NiCkDee24 This message was authored by: NiCkDee24 Answer

Re: Can I get Sky to block a website for me that I am addicted to?

I don't think sky has the ability to block specific websites from their end unless it breaks certain laws. You will always have access to remove the restriction. My advice would be to try some self-control and learn to deal with this addiction and maybe possibly seek professional help for it. Blocking the website in question isn't going to solve the underlying problem. The issue isn't with the website you're addicted to. It's the reason you're addicted to it that i feel you would benefit more from speaking to your doctor and/or a professional for addiction therapy or something. Good luck 🙂 

Nick

View this Answer within the discussion

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

Matt+JGM
Topic Author

Also - I use Googles 8.8.8.8 DNS. The block needs to take that into consideration

This message was authored by NiCkDee24 This message was authored by: NiCkDee24 Answer

I don't think sky has the ability to block specific websites from their end unless it breaks certain laws. You will always have access to remove the restriction. My advice would be to try some self-control and learn to deal with this addiction and maybe possibly seek professional help for it. Blocking the website in question isn't going to solve the underlying problem. The issue isn't with the website you're addicted to. It's the reason you're addicted to it that i feel you would benefit more from speaking to your doctor and/or a professional for addiction therapy or something. Good luck 🙂 

Nick
This message was authored by NiCkDee24 This message was authored by: NiCkDee24

@Matt+JGM i would highly recommend using 9.9.9.9 instead of google's 8.8.8.8. 9.9.9.9 is more secure by a long shot. 

Nick
Matt+JGM
Topic Author

I think you're probably right ... thanks for the advice ... and thanks for introducing me to Quad9 DNS. I thought Google had the monopoly there 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Matt+JGM wrote:

I thought Google had the monopoly there 

Anyone can offer a public DNS service if they have the technical and bandwidth resources to do so.  Whether the address resolution they offer is trustworthy is another matter, as is their privacy policy regarding data harvesting.

To block a particular site using DNS you might want to look at the commercial offering from OpenDNS, but you'd want to have it administered by someone else to avoid temptation.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You could try https://nextdns.io 

Predefined list for parental controls or simply add the site(s) you want blocking.

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion