Discussion topic: ***. Broadband speed continually dropping?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by mae-3 This message was authored by: mae-3

Re: ***. Broadband speed continually dropping?

@MACAPPLE 

The G.fast broadband line has a raised noise margin above 3dB and therefore technically a fault, but the synchronisation speed is almost certainly above the guarantee minimum speed and Sky may not entertain it as an issue? It would be worth doing a BQM on thinkbroadband to see if the latency is being impacted to improve the chance of Sky accepting the issue as a fault?

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.
This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@mae-3 @MACAPPLE 

I highly doubt Sky will even look at the line, there isnt really much wrong with it other than the speed being very slightly lower

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.
MACAPPLE
Topic Author
This message was authored by MACAPPLE This message was authored by: MACAPPLE

Hi mae-3

Thank you for (finally) looking at my router stats!

So, there is a raised noise margin issue?

Our minimum guaranteed download speed is 100Mb/s!

What is BQM on thinkbroadband!

I think I've already mentioned that the phone line does have some kind of hushing sound when it is picked up!

I'm sure that Sky would definitely look at the noise issue if we were still within the 31 days opt out but, we're not!

@MACAPPLE 

The BQM that thinkbroadband website uses repeatedly sends ICMP packets to your broadband router and tests the delay between sending and receiving the packets for the roundtrip, eg: a roundtrip messaging delay between 10ms and 40ms would be considered good.

-------

Zen internet on FTTP (900Mbps down, 100Mbps up). SAT> IP (Apple 4K 2nd gen TV to LG C1 OLED UHD TV/Dolby Atmos Denon AVR, DacMagic Plus for Hi-Res audio), hosting own blog/forum (cluster), OPNsense & Zenarmor L4/L7 NGFW & DPI IDS/IPS, Asus ET12 Pro Tri-Band wifi, Linux, Gamer: Xbox Series X/i7 laptop, round-robin DNS over HTTPS, non-proprietary VoIP HD AMR-WB (G.722.2) and more... Beta tester Apple iOS/watchOS/tvOS/iPadOS/macOS.

This is a BQM from a SamKnows Whitebox for a G.fast line in Plymouth, eg: roundtrip from Plymouth to London.

Screenshot 2022-02-04 at 12.01.52.png

-------

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi, thanks for explaining what 'think broadband' is!  I may check that out over the next couple of days!

With reference to the noise margin being over 3dB (nearly 7), my BT digital phone (over 15 to 20 years old) is connected to our SR 204 router so,  I disconnected the phone from the router to see if it would have any affect on the noise issue (it didn't) but, I was surprised to see that our phone was still being shown as connected in the router stats and, after checking the BB speed with Skys speed checker???

How can that be?

@MACAPPLE 

The noise margin is only measuring the G.fast guard intervals for digital noise margin, eg: analogue digital signals encoded in the data isn't measured individually (VoIP). As for the phone showing as operational when it isn't in the router stats, well, that's a cosmetic bug!

-------

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi and good morning 

Thank you for your last reply!

We've had Sky TV since 23rd December last year and the BB and, the existing Sky telephone line (4 years ago) checked but, although we are happy with the TV side of our contract, the BB and, more so the phone line, have been particularly problematic!

As already stated, we chose Sky Ultrafast BB and I was fully expecting "full fibre" and a new ONT modem on the wall but, that didn't happen because, (apparently), the Openreach engineer wasn't trained to install full fibre?  I keep promising myself to call Sky (is 150 free from a Sky landline?) but still haven't done so!

With regard to the phone line which has been a bit noisy (hushy sound on the line) so, I put that down to the 30 odd year phone I was using?

We purchased a brand new BT 3110 phone a couple of days ago and plugged it into the back of the router but, but when I picked the handset and pressed the green button, there was a slight hush and crackling in the background!

Surely the new phone is not at fault?  Unlikely so, I'm beginning to think that the line or master socket is at fault?

We're paying £5 extra for Sky Boost so Sky  ought to come out and check the BB and line?

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi there, I will escalate this to our community chat for you. Please look out for an email or chat bubble. We look forward to speaking to you. 

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by Mr+Flibbles+86 This message was authored by: Mr+Flibbles+86

Posted by a Sky employee

Update – Thanks for chatting to us. Unfortunately, there was no further response on the chat in 48 hours, we are still waiting to help you. If you need our support let us know and we can re-escalate to our chat team. Your chat has been closed now. Thanks  

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi Mr+Fibbles+86

Thank you for your response via a chat bubble!

I gave you some of the issues in that chat and I kept coming back many times and each time I saw no reply so, I haven't got time to keep monitoring a chat bubble!

We still need help but, when you asked for our account number and required verification, I'm afraid that although I could have supplied that information, I am not the account holder!          

My wife is the account holder and she was not at home during work days!

So, we do still need help and, please bear mind that we are paying an additional £5 a month for Sky Broadband Boost and, so far, getting no help!

We are not happy about the decreasing BB speed!  It was around 45 to 53 to start with but it suddenly started to fall so, I moved the router to the other side of the room and used a short cable in to the master socket and as soon as the router was up and running again, our speed return to. 50 and up to 53 but, it's now started to fall again and is back to 139/144 and we are not satisfied with that!

We don't care if the minimum is 100Mbps, our speed keeps falling, especially after the router was moved when our speed jumped back up again and then a few days later, it dropped again and we want to know why!!!

Our landline is noisy (hushing) so I bought a new BT 3110 Phone and as soon as I plugged it in to the SR 204 router, I could hear crackling under the dial tone!

You have both our Sky phone and mobile number end in 396 so, why don't you call us?

@MACAPPLE 

As the phone has been replaced and the crackling is usually in the analogue domain it would be more than likely a sign of the router's digital to analogue converter (DAC) or analogue circuitry after that point to the phone being likely faulty. I suggest you query Sky for a new replacement SR204 router as your current router sounds faulty.

-------

MACAPPLE
Topic Author

Hi all. I've just done a Sky "Test Your Broadband Now" check and there are 1, 2 and 3 checks and having done this many times, all three were fine!

But, with the check I've just done, the number 1 (your account and local area) finished with an 'orange triangle and !' then 2 and three were fine but, on completion, at the top were number 1 wasit showed the following:

"You have an open broadband order"

" Track your order"!

Now, the message informs me of an "open broadband order" but, we have not contacted Sky yet but, maybe my recent posts about broadband speed and line, have been picked up?

Our BB speed goes down to around 135 and then a few hours later, it goes up again to 153 were it is now!  Then it will go down and back up etc, etc!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion