Discussion topic: Asus Xt8 connect direct to ONT

This message was authored by Paul+Barton This message was authored by: Paul+Barton

Asus Xt8 connect direct to ONT

Hi all, I have Fibre with a ONT inside my property.

I have just purchased an Asus Xt8 which will arrive tomorrow.

Can anyone please help with settings etc to connect it direct to the ONT

Also is their any benefit in the direct connection or should I just connect it to the sky SR203?

Thanks for the help!

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

Re: Asus Xt8 connect direct to ONT

@Paul+Barton  This should get you sorted,  

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband/DHCP-settings-for-Sky-FTTP-ONT-with-Asus-ZenWifi-AX-XT8/m-p/3...

Unless you have / need sky's voip phone service, this can only be achieved with the SR203 & xt8 in AP mode,

if you don't have / need sky's voip phone service, then just use the xt8 in wireless router mode & ditch the SR203 (keep if needed for troubleshooting with sky's fttp)

Tom...

Sky want us to believe in better
BELIEVE =accept that (something) is true, especially without proof.
BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
SR203 router. > Replaced with ASUS XT9’s with a TP-Link TD-W9970 modem
Sky superfast 80/20 :sort of, 63-75/15. Devolo 1200 wifi > Replaced with cat 6
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
Paul+Barton
Topic Author
This message was authored by Paul+Barton This message was authored by: Paul+Barton

Just arrived and set up connected direct to sky router and speeds around the house are huge compared to just using the sky hub!

This message was authored by cookiemonsteruk This message was authored by: cookiemonsteruk

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Paul+Barton 

This is a post i missed 😁 The main advantage is the speeds on wifi 6 are stonking and the coverage is amazing. But you already found that out 👍

----------------------------------------------------
Sky Stream , Sky Superfast, SR203 router, Tp link td w9970 + Asus RT AX58U (backup), Xbox Series X, google home mini, LG 43 inch UHD tv, samsung a5 2017 and samsung s21

If I get it right mark as answered
If I get it wrong humour me
If I say something you like give a thumbs up
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Paul+Barton wrote:

speeds around the house are huge compared to just using the sky hub!

As one would hope for the price ; )

Realistically, ISP-supplied routers built to a very limited budget specification can't be expected to deliver FTTP speeds over wireless, particularly as all current models pre-date WiFi 6.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by TomThumb5ive This message was authored by: TomThumb5ive

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Paul+Barton wrote:

speeds around the house are huge compared to just using the sky hub!

As one would hope for the price ; )

Realistically, ISP-supplied routers built to a very limited budget specification can't be expected to deliver FTTP speeds over wireless, particularly as all current models pre-date WiFi 6.

Fair point 👍

You would however at the very least expect an isp router to be compatible with iOS devices 🤬 

Have more than 2 Ethernet ports 🤬 

But many thanks for letting us know that sky's routers can't be expected to match premium priced 3rd party devices, nor the cheap ones so it seems,..

Tom...

BETTER = of a higher standard, or more suitable, pleasing, or effective than other things or people:

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@TomThumb5ive wrote:

Have more than 2 Ethernet ports 🤬 

Your SR203 has four ethernet ports.  The Q Hub appears to have been an outlier in that respect, probably because its design got hijacked by the Q television brand identity people which I hope everyone involved recognises was a mistake.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Glad all went well @Paul+Barton 👍

The XT8 is a decent bit of kit.

Tom...

Sky Q & 2 mini’s
Sony KDAF8 65 oled.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion