Discussion topic: Any Sky feedback on Glass 'concerns' ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by seanisky This message was authored by: seanisky

Re: Any Sky feedback on Glass 'concerns' ?

@TimmyBGood 5G ? Glass doesn't even have premium 4G LTE add on hardware available for redundancy downloading as I've mentioned. 

BT FTTP for most the nation will take a decade plus and many places have had there ADSL2+ speed upgrades cancelled as the telecom regulator Ofcom said early 2020 that 10megs/1up is the UKs Broadband Universal Obligation - again no one pointed this out to the Comcast American sent Sky CEO, 10 megs isn't enough for Glass and that's what Ofcom regulated. 

It was lunacy to go ahead with Glass V1 in the U.K. when Comcast has its own USA Cable Broadband Network where it offers 50 meg to 2000meg speeds, this Glass isn't a Sky IPTV suitable product for the U.K. at this time or a anytime soon, it won't be capable of saving Comcast Sky's satellite transmission fees for a very long period of financial years. 

I assume the CEO just assumed that U.K. had some kind of national copper broadband network on par with the USA with as many cable broadband network operators, she couldn't have been more wrong & no one advised her Glass needs a country with great broadband infrastructure, which the U.K. hasn't or won't have for considerable years, 5G will get there a lot quicker but I doubt Glass content will be delivered by Sky Mobile 5G - although it may very well work out cheaper than their sat transmission bills, 4/5G Sky Glass isn't a option by design there isn't the 4x4 internal antennas in Glass to even attach to a USB modem or Fixed Wireless Access device for great signal and that's where you want them antennas - in Glass - pulling the full use of mains electricity to boost signal indoors. 

Glass V1 off to the USA please, thank you call again. 

@rscott that VMo2 contract should have been nailed prior to Glass, VMo2 won't want to support Glass and lose it's own  subscribers/revenue. 

... talk about backwards. 

Ofcom Data, they don't even record consumer complaints it's all self reported with a minute of Ofcom registered complaints because it's up to the lazy or untrained Ofcom staff member to record it or not and email the telco. 

It's all guesstimates Ofcom Data, don't believe it, regulators generally in the U.K. do little to protect citizens over big business no matter who's in Gov. They collect money from companies for Gov. 

@bob1234 BT Group own and profits from Openreach, it has a "independent" board now, but it's BT owned and profits alright. 

Hardly independent but Ofcom likes a press release that seems to project to society they do a proper job at regulation 😉 

@TimmyBGood

5G (especially Three) will be way ahead of FTTP for 100meg+ That's true but Ofcoms Universal Broadband Obligation is 10 down 1 up, many places even in cities have had their ADSL2+ upto 24 meg speeds uplifts cancelled where 10 megs is available so (BT) Openreach can FTTP other more profitable areas and pay BT Group profits. 

Comcast USA is 50 meg entry up to 2000 meg... Glass is a cable broadband product not one suitable for the mismatch of BT Openreach, why Comcast thought U.K. was the best place to launch Glass when it had the worst EU speeds of all the Sky Group EU companies is boardroom madness at Comcast & Sky Group. 

This message was authored by sceptic101 This message was authored by: sceptic101

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The 'recording' aspect of Sky Glass is all cloud based so traffic/bandwidth wise this new is service will be similar to all the other streaming services like Netflix, who seem to be coping quite nicely on the current UK infrastructure...

Drx-890W (4f31b7, Main, 2TB, Active Mode, Powerline 1200 av2)
Drx-890W (4f3127, Secondary, 2TB, Active Mode, Hardwired, S.F. Mode)
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Sky Fibre Unlimited (STB's only)
This message was authored by Littlelegs7 This message was authored by: Littlelegs7

Just put the 55 inch Sky glass on the wall. The instructions are brilliant but they don't state the size of the screes/bolts to use. I used m6 40mm with 2 washers and seems to be a good fit. The biggest issue I've had is the plug socket that is behind the TV. If you are installing this with a plug behind you'll need to replace it with a flush fitting so ket or the bottom of the TV sticks out further than the top.

This message was authored by Bristolnate This message was authored by: Bristolnate

What do we think is likeley to happen about the playlist feature? I am torn between cancelling mine of sticking with the delivery and waiting it out. 

This message was authored by sceptic101 This message was authored by: sceptic101

@Bristolnate I would suggest giving it the maximum amount of time you can before you have to cancel, to give you further time to adjust to it and for Sky to hopefully a) make some more improvements and b) comment on this publicly, so its clear to users what Glass will do now and potentially in the future.

Drx-890W (4f31b7, Main, 2TB, Active Mode, Powerline 1200 av2)
Drx-890W (4f3127, Secondary, 2TB, Active Mode, Hardwired, S.F. Mode)
Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 + Sky Fibre Unlimited (STB's only)
This message was authored by Bristolnate This message was authored by: Bristolnate

@sceptic101 that is what I was leaning towards. It was due to be delivered on Saturday but I pushed it to Friday this week to keep an eye on any changes/updates. 

I like everyone else took from the store worker and marketing material that adding to the playlist meant being able to stream directly even one minute behind Live if I wanted... we often start programs halfway through. 

I will keep an eye out and make a call Thursday. I know we have 31 days after delivery but the effort of re-packing and un mounting from the wall isn't something I have the time for currently! 

This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@Bristolnate wrote:

@sceptic101 that is what I was leaning towards. It was due to be delivered on Saturday but I pushed it to Friday this week to keep an eye on any changes/updates. 

I like everyone else took from the store worker and marketing material that adding to the playlist meant being able to stream directly even one minute behind Live if I wanted... we often start programs halfway through. 

I will keep an eye out and make a call Thursday. I know we have 31 days after delivery but the effort of re-packing and un mounting from the wall isn't something I have the time for currently! 

That's what you have the live restart feature for.

Sometimes, as I genuinely believe with this, things aren't done incorrectly... they're just done differently than how you've been conditioned. Sky will feel that more than dedicated streaming services, purely because of their deeply rooted linear history. 

That feature seems very hit and miss. I am into motorsport so todays 8 hour Live BTCC final program for example on ITV4 I wouldn't have been able to "record" or "playlist" so would have had to wait until it appeared on catchup (this can be days later) before watching. 

If the watch frlm start feature did work for that channel then does it give you the option to leave and come back? 

This message was authored by Kev230261 This message was authored by: Kev230261

It just seems like a streaming device to me depending on a internet connection which sky broadband isn't great at the best of times,also with it been a stream the football will be a minute plus behind the live broadcast,it's a big fat no for me.

This message was authored by Arob1963 This message was authored by: Arob1963

I'm really not happy picture keep freezing.you can't do catch up TV. You can't adjust picture size for films so you end up with a black band across the top and bottom . If you try to go to settings and try fit to screen ..IT does nothing !!  customizer screen size it doesn't work !! ... does not have a dynamic picture setting the picture look crap in comparison to my qled telly which I've kept thank god . And the voice control is crap it doesn't work !!! 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Arob1963 wrote:

You can't adjust picture size for films so you end up with a black band across the top and bottom . 

Which means they are displaying in the 'correct' aspect ratio rather than being distorted.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion