Discussion topic: Any Sky feedback on Glass 'concerns' ?

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

This message was authored by tarbat This message was authored by: tarbat

Re: Any Sky feedback on Glass 'concerns' ?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@bob1234 wrote:
No they will all be away celebrating a successful launch and counting their bonuses.

They will have achieved their objective - to make Sky Q look like a brilliant system compared to Glass 😉

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TARBAT's SETUP....................Sky Q 2tb v3
Panasonic 65” GZ1500 OLED TV : Yamaha YSP-2700 Soundbar (ARC) : BT Smart Hub 2 & FTTP 900 : BT Disc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky Community Superuser. 25 Years Diamond VIP

This message was authored by seanisky This message was authored by: seanisky

@Urban+Splash 

So if you connect via Sky Mobile streaming does ITV etc all count as inclusive data or is all Sky Glass excluded from "Inclusive data", I can't find info anywhere - are Sky mirroring other content providers, is just Sky content free or none of the above Sky mobile inclusive data doesn't include Glass at all.

Is there even Sky G(o)lass access on the TV or a app that allows unlimited data and casting to Glass... 

So little information on this and other things, no wonder people cancelling before they even find out Glass features don't work 

This message was authored by thurlstoneskyThis message was authored by: @thurlstonesky

"I would suspect a few Sky personnel will have their weekends cancelled. If the reaction from customers stays negative, they will have trouble recovering the Glass brand" 

It reminds me of Blackberry Playbook/Blackberry 10 

Self harm & commercial suicide. 

This easily is the biggest failure of any Sky launch in history on every count, can Comcast sell back to Murdoch now please, who will give us a Sky IPTV a box & app, thank you. 

This message was authored by Q-tips This message was authored by: Q-tips

They've had TVs out on test of course because one of the testers (or friend of) posted here a couple of weeks ago. And Sky execs must have been watching Glass in purgatory for many weeks, dreading the approaching launch date.

About 10 days ago I reckon, the bigwigs had their crunch meeting at Glass Towers to decide whether to cancel the launch or press on. I think the decision they took will end up costing them more than pulling it.

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes

@d2h 

"The fact that it's not been cleared up by actual Sky employees, via Sky website or socials, and instead customers are asking a Sky forum gopher for an update, to then relay it to other customers, is farcical in itself." 

AYE! 

I got a ban for 3 days for not toeing the line about Glass being a "market leading premium Sky exclusive product" and highlighting shortfalls, CONcast. 

Well screw me for being a consumer who knows what they will separate from their cash for! 

@Q-tips 

"So did I. And it's all over the internet previews/launch reports as well. And Annie's FAQ has it too. I think it was also mentioned by one of the Sky execs at the launch. But maybe it has been whitewashed because no-one at Sky knows what it means" 

I don't think Sky Group know what Internet Provided Tele Vision means, funny enough if they had only asked daddy in the USA with his own cable broadband and IPTV solutions he could have helped guide them, millennials eh!

Know it alls haha. 

They must have over analised the Tele Vision part of IPTV and thought "yes that's Apples hardware failure in its line up so far a widescreen tv you can connect to the internet" having overlooked Apple IPTV & thousands of TV/set top box manufacturers. 

Glass seems to be the blind leading the blind.

Jesus just spend some minimal cash on a Sky Go to Sky NOW (IPTV) apps revamp and watch the Entertainment/Movies/ultimate/sports subs roll in, bazinga!

Sky 2021: satellite broadcaster to expensive hardware IPTV isn't exactly a well placed Marconi/Ryanair move, it's more Enron/Lehman Brothers oopsie. 

I mean really the Now TV boxes OS updated to Sky NOW to push the new version: 

Sky NOW 4K Digital & IPTV box with a OS that allows hard drive/4/5G usb support for those who want more than 'streaming'. 

Sky Mobile, Sky Broadband, Sky Sat, Now, (& ironically now) Glass seem to be companies running independently of each other not Sky or even Comcast subsidiaries at all . There is little ecosystem within Sky companies or hardware itself. Comcast buying Sky Group seems to be the biggest whitewash. 

@Anonymous1234

We live in a age that bonuses are paid out regardless. I guess it just makes shareholders happy when they see high level jobs advertised salaries being low, when reality is bonuses are reported as a group generally. 

I wonder if they will all get a Glass as a Xmas bonus lol, then they can report back in their own failures instead of dismissing customers. 

TBF, they haven't dismissed the complaints yet - they're just deciding how to respond to them and how much it will cost them.

--------------------
32B12C 2TB UHD Q box • Mini boxes x2 (32D0B2) • 2022 LG C2 OLED TV • Software vQ230.000.14.00L • Gigaclear gigabit FTTH broadband (935Mbps up/down) • Linksys Velop tri-band router; 3 mesh nodes • All Q boxes fully Cat6 hardwired • Q wi-fi disabled • Q picture/audio processing disabled (no sound bar) • Pixellation cured by Q170 but back again with Q190 and now every few minutes with Q210 and Q220 live broadcasts and recordings on all boxes

@seanisky wrote:

They must have over analised the Tele Vision part of IPTV

Once you see that word, it can never be unseen. I'm going to steal it.

--------------------

@Q-tips 

"TBF, they haven't dismissed the complaints yet - they're just deciding how to respond to them and how much it will cost them." 

Hey Q-tips lol, aren't you over analising Sky-Comcasts "insert word" here, I mean it's clear as Glass this is a mass product for Comcasts USA cable broadband network & not suitable for a long term decades failing copper BT Openreach that Sky Broadband & most UK ISPs are dependent on. 

That's before you even consider the GLass OS(SY) or (lowercase) "premium" sales pitch, Satellite is premium, broadband is (meant to be) universal. 

They can sort out OS fails all they want but the U.K. still hasn't got a dependable national broadband incumbent in British Telecom, most people still can't access decent speeds for Glass U.K. wide on the BT network & that's something no one on the Board of Sky Group.UK told the American sent CEO..." hey sorry pet love but that actual Sky TV won't work here, like U.K. has got like a third world British Telecom broadband network" 

I mean really not one board member or Sky high level management employee told the flown in Comcast USA sent CEO this won't work in the U.K. as the U.K. national British Telecom  broadband infrastructure isn't there yet and for many  won't be for a decade plus at least. 

Sky Board & Press Launch  "This is the most exciting product we have ever launched!" yet not one Sky staff member in planning or journalist to date has highlighted Sky Glass biggest problem - that U.K./British Telecom network just can't support Glass IPTV anywhere near nationwide and it won't be available to the masses for decade plus. 

I mean why is everyone missing the basics? It's a IPTV/cable broadband set top box in a TV, there's only one sizeable cable network in the U.K. VirginMediao2 

Maybe they need to buy VMo2 and bring Sky Mobile also inhouse whilst rolling out Sky Glass to the only big network in the U.K. that can actually handle it for the many in its cable network footprint. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@seanisky wrote:

as the U.K. national British Telecom  broadband infrastructure isn't there yet and for many  won't be for a decade plus at least. 

I think you're underestimating how fast FTTP (and 5G) will be rolled out over the next few years: remember they've just had the best part of two years disruption to what was planned.  The challenge isn't getting Ultrafast speeds to the majority of households, it's the minority which are really hard to reach that's the problem.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by bob1234 This message was authored by: bob1234

@seaniskyIt might well be outdated but it no longer belongs to BT.

@seanisky apparently over 50% of us now have access to fibre if we want it, according to press reports last month. But for sure, Sky must have positioned Glass internally as a niche service for a minority of punters - while they wait a decade or more for the UK as a whole to get up to speed.

--------------------
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@seanisky wrote:

as the U.K. national British Telecom  broadband infrastructure isn't there yet and for many  won't be for a decade plus at least. 

I think you're underestimating how fast FTTP and 5G will be rolled out over the next few years: remember they've just had the best part of two years disruption.  The real challenge isn't getting Ultrafast speeds to the majority of households, it's the minority which are really hard to reach that's the problem.

Sky are also in discussions with VMo2 about wholesale access to their network too...

Ofcom's data shows that more people can access 30Mbit/s broadband than can access satellite TV.

@rscott wrote:

Ofcom's data shows that more people can access 30Mbit/s broadband than can access satellite TV.

…Except that 30Mbps ain't enough.for 4K.

--------------------

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion