Discussion topic: ASUS RT-AC86U + Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky VDSL2 (MER) Configuration

This message was authored by CodeusUK This message was authored by: CodeusUK

ASUS RT-AC86U + Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky VDSL2 (MER) Configuration

Thought I'd write up how I got this setup working for anyone who needs assistance, it took a bit of faffing to work out.  

This is for Asus RT-AC86U Router with a Vigor 130 Modem in bridge mode on Sky VDSL2 (MER) Fibre FTTC Connection.  I expect it will work with other Asus routers provides the Asuswrt Merlin firmware is loaded and support Option 61 configuration as per the instructions below.

Step 1 - Download and Update Firmware on Asus RT-AC86U to Asuswrt Merlin from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/  I chose the latest release at the time: ( RT-AC86U_384.19_0.zip )

Step 2 - After updating the firmware, factory reset the router.

Step 3 - Connect a computer directly to the Vigor 130 and go to Internet Access > MPOA / Static or Dynamic page and then:

• Select 'Enable' next to MPOA (RFC1483/2684)
  • Choose 1483 Bridged IP (IPoE) Encapsulation
  • Set VCI to 101
  • Click OK

Reboot the modem, disconnect the laptop and plug it in to the WAN port on the RT-AC86U.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 19.36.20.png

Step 4 - Back on the RT-AC86U, By pass the initial setup of the WAN connection and go to WebUI > Advanced Settings > WAN and select:

Leave everything else as default.

Screenshot 2021-01-08 at 19.38.37.pngScreenshot 2021-01-08 at 19.38.49.png

That should be all you need.

Good luck

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by MUFFINTAST1C This message was authored by: MUFFINTAST1C

Re: ASUS RT-AC86U + Draytek Vigor 130 + Sky VDSL2 (MER) Configuration

@CodeusUK 

First of all, you don't set the DHCP Query Frequency to "Aggressive" that will get you blacklisted, either set it to normal or continuous mode.

Secondly the encapsulation mode for the Vigor 130 is also incorrect and the MTU setting.

Should be 1483 Bridged IP LLC and an MTU setting of 1500.

This message was authored by joshmich123 This message was authored by: joshmich123

Thanks for this. Just got my sky router today and desperately searching for modem mode. 

Will order the Draytek. 

Quick question - how do you know what he username and password was or can I just put the generic one in?

This message was authored by MUFFINTAST1C This message was authored by: MUFFINTAST1C

@joshmich123 

I would advise downloading the new firmware update for the 86U of Merlin's website before anything else.

If you're stuck setting up the Vigor PM ME i will send you my config that enables modem mode correctly. I would however do this offline before disconnecting your Sky equipment first hand so you can just plug and play the standalone modem and the DSL should then turn a solid green. This shouldn't trigger DLM as you're doing it offline then just disconnecting your Sky equipment just put the Vigor in place. Doesn't matter how many times you restart the Asus as this will not affecting anything at the exchange.

This message was authored by joshmich123 This message was authored by: joshmich123

Sorry - really dumb question alert?

I have my sky connected at the moment still.

I have updated the Asus to Merlin firmware. The draytekVigor has just arrived. How do I access the settings to configure the Draytek? Do i plug ethernet into a laptop which is connected to the Sky router for now?

This message was authored by jamesn123 This message was authored by: jamesn123

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@joshmich123 

Connect your laptop directly to the Vigor 130 using an ethernet cable and then access its default web interface IP which should be listed in the instructions

I am NOT a Sky Employee
Myself & Others offer our time to help others, please be respectful.

Thanks all for your help! Have set this up now, just wanted to say thank you for all of the content and replies. 

This message was authored by smiffyuk1 This message was authored by: smiffyuk1

Can I just say, I purchased a Asus rt-ax86u & a draytek vigor 130, followed these instructions, worked 1st time, works absolutely flawlessly, best thing I've done 👍

This message was authored by sammyAsh21 This message was authored by: sammyAsh21

@smiffyuk1 i have the same set up as you and just wwaiting in the modem. is there anything i need to do apart from update the asus router merlin thing. 

also when the modem arrives again onve following the threads instructions do i just plu the adsl line into the back and then a cable from the wan port to the asus and they should be it ?

This message was authored by Chrisee This message was authored by: Chrisee

@sammyAsh21 you mention ADSL in your post so be aware the instructions in this thread are for VDSL services like Sky Superfast  in the UK only.  The settings for ADSL services like Sky Essentials are different as those use PPOA not MER and the log in strings are different. Irish services are different again.

=========================================================
65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
This message was authored by sammyAsh21 This message was authored by: sammyAsh21

@Chrisee 

SO how would i set mine up with standard broadband, i have a vigor 130 and the asus rt ax86u

is there anyway yiou can help me set this up ?

Thanks

@sammyAsh21 not exactly sure as never done it myself.  The router needs to be either set for Sky ADSL if it has those settings predefined or manually configured to use PPOA with a log in which could be the same as the VDSL services which is user as anything@skydsl and any random string as a password or you may have to extract the details from your current hub by using fireshark.

Alternatively search the forum as a few other users have tried to do this recently. 

65inch Sky Glass, 3 Sky Streaming Pucks, Sky Ultrafast + and Sky SR213(white Wifi Max hub) main Wifi from 3 TP-Link Deco M4 units in access point mode
CodeusUK
Topic Author
This message was authored by CodeusUK This message was authored by: CodeusUK

If your line speed is greater than 24mb it's VDSL (VDSL is just faster ADSL, the V standing for 'Very High Speed')

After updating your router to Merlin FW, you need to folllow the instructions in my original post re. entering option 61 details to pass authentication information to the modem and yes, connect the WAN port of the ASUS to the Ethernet port on the Vigor 130. 

If your line speed isn't over 24mb and your on ADSL I guess you might want to find another guide or start a new thread with your query. 

Good luck

@CodeusUK

yeah it's not faster then that 😭😭 poor internet near me hence why I can't find anywhere to try set it up 

@sammyAsh21 a two second forum search found this thread there are several others as I pointed out.

Easy check to tell what connection type you need simply log onto the Sky hub when its connected go to maintenance, log in and check "Connection  Type" field where PPOA = ADSL. MER = VDSL2 or G.fast.

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

New Discussion