Discussion topic: Why don't old customers get the same offers

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Re: Why don't old customers get the same offers

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@f0s9fs09f8s90f8 wrote:

Regarding new start up's or not, i don't care if they will be around in the next 12 months,  as i don't have a horse in this race. All  i care about is getting what i deem value and not brand loyalty. Either have a price which clearly states possible yearly increase, without the shady act of puffery, of an increasing price over that contract period. 

So this is now happening as per Ofcom's recent ruling however as was obvious by most, its the consumer that is actually negatively impacted by this. The new contracts where the annual price rise is actually written into the contract i.e this is a 24 month contract and in April every year the price will rise by 10% is actually putting the consumer more out of pocket at the price increases being put into these T&Cs will almost certainty be higher increases than the historical method of inflation or inflation +3.9%. Unsurprisingly the service providers can't predict what inflation would be over an 18 or 24 month contract so they lower their risk by putting in a higher amount. If you take a look at the T&Cs of these new contracts and look at the stated price rises baked in, and compare that with current inflation is currently around 3% you will see that over the contract period the customer will be paying more than the previous method. 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by hellomushi This message was authored by: hellomushi

Well that's me sorted.

My contract ends in mid june and instead of taking up the offered privilage of paying £40+, plus a £10 admin fee, for 150mb broadband, i now have a new customer deal with another "major" provider. 

For less money, a faster speed, both up and down, no set up fee, no admin fee, no delivery fee, but i'm sad to say i won't get a badge for loyalty, or the bonus of being able to download an member app, so they can make more money off of me by selling more of my data to china etc.

Customer loyalty meh, how about the company being loyal to the customer instead.

Bye bye.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@f0s9fs09f8s90f8 wrote:

Either have a price which clearly states possible yearly increase, without the shady act of puffery, of an increasing price over that contract period. 

EE, for example, is now doing so, in line with what Ofcom proposed to make mandatory.  Their £29 broadband will increase £3 each April of a 24 month minimum term, so that's a 10% increase followed by a 9% one.

CPI at the end of this year is forecast to be around 2%

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@hellomushi wrote:

Customer loyalty meh, how about the company being loyal to the customer instead.

Indeed - it's exactly what your new provider will do when it comes to the end of your new customer deal...

You have to keep switching...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Their £29 broadband will increase £3 each April of a 24 month minimum term, so that's a 10% increase followed by a 9% one.

CPI at the end of this year is forecast to be around 2%

Indeed, exactly what I predicted - the customer may have certainty but the odds have swung even further towards the provider...  Nice one OfCom.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion