Discussion topic: Was it really sky who called

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: Was it really sky who called

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Daztracer 

Sky Protect is operated by Domestic and General Insurance but should you need an engineer for your dish or Sky box it's a Sky engineer that is dispatched. I've had Sky Protect for 10-11 years and mobile and iPad are also covered on the policy. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

So D&G, when calling as part of Sky Protect do have access to some details of your Sky account. They need this to confirm they are talking to the account holder, they would ask similar questions and ask you to confirm the same info that any Sky customer services agent would need to ask to confirm the identity of the person on the other end of the phone.

There is no breach of GDPR or data regulations as Sky Protect is a Sky owned service, but as it's an insurance service it has to be underwritten by an approved insurer.

This type of thing is pretty standard practice with insurance policies. You see many insurance policies sold by the likes of Supermakrets or the Post Office, which are services operating under their name but operated and underwritten by a regulators insurer. 

The way to stop phone calls regarding any Sky products is to update your marketing preferences within your My Sky account, here you can choose the methods of preferred contact and you you disable phone calls you simply won't be called. 

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Daz1234 This message was authored by: Daz1234

So SkyProtect is operated by D&G and under written by Zurich. 
so who owns SkyProtect?

if they are indeed a separate company are they owned by D&G or Zurich or is it Sky?

who decides how Sky protect operates if as per previous answers by "Superusers" they are known for misrepresenting themselves as Sky why does Sky allow this to happen and even promote the service on their website?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Daz1234 wrote:

I did not give permission for sky to pass on my details to anyone only for use by Sky. 

anyway

You did, actually.

It's covered within your terms and conditions which refer to Sky's privacy notice here: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/privacy-hub-privacy

Domestic and General are mentioned specifically.

And sky ask you if you are agree to have your data used for marketing, they have to do this it's the law Under GRDP rules. 
to this question I answered no!

read the section you quoted 

With your consent

• to send you direct marketing about our content, products, services events and special offers by post, telephone, SMS, email, notification or other electronic means to the contact details you have provided. 4.

@Daz1234 wrote:

With your consent

• to send you direct marketing about our content, products, services events and special offers by post, telephone, SMS, email, notification or other electronic means to the contact details you have provided. 4.

I don't know who you're replying to, but the relevant section of the Privacy Notice states:

"When you purchase Sky’s products and services, we share your contact information with Domestic & General (Domestic & General Insurance PLC and Domestic & General Services Limited) to enable them to contact you to ensure you are satisfied with your service experience and to let you know about the warranties that apply to your Sky equipment and the options for extended cover."

Yes. 

But With Your Consent!

it's in the same section you are quoting it's under how we use it 

I can't post the link to it as it says the http Link is invalid 

@Daz1234 wrote:

Yes. 

But With Your Consent!

it's in the same section you are quoting it's under how we use it 

I can't post the link to it as it says the http Link is invalid 

Nope, you're looking in the wrong place. It's under the separate heading of Sharing with Third Parties. There's no 'how we use it' heading.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Mark39 wrote:

@Daz1234 wrote:

With your consent

I don't know who you're replying to, but the relevant section of the Privacy Notice states:

"When you purchase Sky’s products and services, we share your contact information with Domestic & General (Domestic & General Insurance PLC and Domestic & General Services Limited) to enable them to contact you to ensure you are satisfied with your service experience and to let you know about the warranties that apply to your Sky equipment and the options for extended cover."

Indeed and as mentioned in a previous post you can easily tailor your privacy settings in your My Sky account to remove consent from different marketing methods.

NOT a Sky Employee

I am really struggling with this so the best thing is to give up. 
as my first post explained I had a call from Sky that turned out to be from G&D selling insurance for Sky Protect which is Sky. 
The response from this thread was G&D are known for misrepresenting themselves. 
but it's my fault that Sky used them as part of the contact says Sky can use my data as they see fit. 
That section of the term And conditions also says only with you consent. 
Now all the replies are from superusers. Who are experts on not just the inner workings of the insurance scheme. The Sky Protect features. And the contract and T's & C's. 
but are not Sky employees just customers!

I would bet in the same way that Sky protect is a separate company to Sky no doubt something like Sky Community which is nothing to do with Sky as it is a separate company. 

so these are just customers who spend their spare time following threads on a customer care forum. 

paranoid? Maybe but think of occam's razor!

I think you may be getting confused because you think Sky Protect is a separate company. Sky Protect is an additional product/service offered and provided by Sky, which is essentially outsourced to D&G to run.

So in essence it's a company you may already be a subscriber of contacting you to try and sell additional services that they offer. Due to the service being run by D&G the calls come from them.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Daz1234 wrote:

So SkyProtect is operated by D&G and under written by Zurich. 
so who owns SkyProtect?

if they are indeed a separate company are they owned by D&G or Zurich or is it Sky?

From the 'Here's the legal bit' at https://www.sky.com/protect regarding buildings & contents cover:

Neos Ventures Limited, trading as Sky and Sky Protect, is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register No. 752145). Our registered address is Sky Central, Grant Way, Isleworth (registered company number 09941700).

Home insurance underwritten by Zurich Insurance Company Ltd.

Note that this is different to Sky Protect Device Insurance:

Domestic & General Insurance PLC is an insurance undertaking, not an intermediary. We are the underwriter of the insurance and do not provide a personal recommendation. Domestic & General Services Limited is an appointed representative of Domestic & General Insurance PLC, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. Sky UK Limited is an introducer appointed representative of Domestic & General Insurance PLC, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by DJFraser101 This message was authored by: DJFraser101

You may have set up a genuine insurance cover by providing your bank details. It isn't a scam as such - it's just sneaky sales ploy by Sky and their approved insurer Domestic & General who they introduce to. So, you should get your 3 months free cover - if you really need the cover to insure your kit in case it gets damaged and doesn't work, that's fine, but basically you will end up paying £119.88 per year (£9.99 per month) to insure some equipment which is not really high value. There may be an excess on the policy where you have to pay the first x amount of any claim (check the insurance docs you should have been sent as this will confirm either wat)

The likelihood of your kit breaking is probably more likely it being "accidentally damaged" than actually failing in itself, most electronic kit bought from a good retailer will have a reasonably long shelf life these days before it breaks down or wears out - and Sky supplies decent enough quality kit. So, if you think of the causes of accidental damage, flood, fire, human breakages (kids maybe playing!), a decent home insurance policy with a £50 excess for claim will probably suffice and cover all of your other possessions too. I.e. Your tenner a month to cover Sky kit only, would probably be better spent on a Home Contents policy (depending on where you live).

Enough insurance advice already!!

Don't panic though ... if you don't need the cover, exercise your right to cancel before you start paying it.

This message was authored by DJFraser101 This message was authored by: DJFraser101

See my post replying to another Daz - I am not a Sky employee, never have been, never will be, but am a Sky customer and comfortable enough with them as a supplier of the services I want. I also know my onions on insurance, finance, FCA regulation, GDPR (DPA 2018) and selling financial products. The good and the bad after 28 years industry experience and counting (down!).

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion