Discussion topic: Was it really sky who called

This message was authored by Whywhywhyohhsky This message was authored by: Whywhywhyohhsky

Was it really sky who called

Was called today on a 0800 number that also had 479 and 0758 in it (sky wont let me type the full number as one). Said they were from sky, knew my bill amount, date it was paid and my package. Were calling for an anniversary review and to try sell insurance cover for sky products but also other electronic devices. Guy was friendly enough but after googling the number now beginning to panic that it may have been a scam. 

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Was it really sky who called

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Whywhywhyohhsky wrote:

Were calling for an anniversary review and to try sell insurance cover for sky products but also other electronic devices. Guy was friendly enough but after googling the number now beginning to panic that it may have been a scam. 

As @Mark39 indicates, that's trying to flog Sky Protect through a (frankly bogus) unsolicited 'review' call 'from Sky'.  Not technically a scam, sadly, because then they could be stopped from doing it: "Sky UK Limited is an introducer appointed representative of Domestic & General Insurance PLC " it says in the small print.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

That has all the hallmarks of being a call from Sky Protect administered by Domestic and General Insurance. I've had similar calls myself.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@Whywhywhyohhsky wrote:

Were calling for an anniversary review and to try sell insurance cover for sky products but also other electronic devices. Guy was friendly enough but after googling the number now beginning to panic that it may have been a scam. 

As @Mark39 indicates, that's trying to flog Sky Protect through a (frankly bogus) unsolicited 'review' call 'from Sky'.  Not technically a scam, sadly, because then they could be stopped from doing it: "Sky UK Limited is an introducer appointed representative of Domestic & General Insurance PLC " it says in the small print.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Neil321123 This message was authored by: Neil321123

Weird i had the same call declined the maintenance package offered, only to get home from work and my Sky wasn't working.... what a coincidence.....

This message was authored by Patsy6 This message was authored by: Patsy6

I just had a call from "Sky" 0800 478 07** When I questioned why I was receiving the call she said she'd noticed that I'd had Sky Q since 2022, I've actually had it a lot longer. I said okay go ahead  (probably in a suspicious way) and she hung up. 
Went to check my emails to see exactly when I did get Sky Q and this is where I'm hoping I'm going crazy... Both my Sky and Sky Mobile email folders are empty! There were emails going back many, many years in both folders last night. WTH!

This message was authored by DFRASER101 This message was authored by: DFRASER101

Pseudo anniversary call for SkyQ. Clearly had correct account details including information about package. Didn't ask for any information you wouldnt give to someone who is checking they are speaking to householder - just basic first line of address and postcode, in the town he knew I lived in. Went on to mention various Sky features in an informative enough way.

A pre-cursor to a very soft sell of Sky Protect to cover devices, first three months free. Domestic and general mentioned as prvider. Politely declined as don't bother insuring consumables like these. He came across as an amiable enough guy just doing his job and he didn't waste my time with any sales technique persuasions.

This message was authored by JessicaHaycroft This message was authored by: JessicaHaycroft

Just received a call from "sky" offering me insurance from domestic and general for my tv, daughters iPad and another tv.
first 3 months free and then £9.99 thereafter on a specific date I chose.
I am really worried that I have now put my details at risk and this may be a scam, they asked for my sort code and account number and set up a direct debit for this.  
Please can someone verify this is legit!? 
Single mum on a low income as it is! 
thanks 😩

Domestic and General do indeed provide Sky Protect device insurance. The link explains how calls from them are handled: https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-protect-frequently-asked-topics

https://www.skyprotect.com/

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@JessicaHaycroft  As we are all customers here we won't know if it was Sky Protect calling or not. 

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by twilight+princess This message was authored by: twilight+princess

Keep an eye on your banking app to see if any direct debit is set up, whether the cost is as advertised & that the start date really is in 3 months' time. If a scam then they may take a small amount immediately as a test, if that is the case then contact the bank asap.

Virginia.
I don’t work for Sky.
This message was authored by Daztracer This message was authored by: Daztracer

Had a call tonight saying they are calling from sky. Explained some features of my sky account then asked if I was aware that I could add other devices onto my insurance policy. I said I don't have a policy as the equipment belongs to sky. 
then they said that the call Was actually from domestic and general on behalf of sky and they could provide me with an insurance policy as my equipment was now out of its years warranty. 
ok so it's 5 years out of its 1 years warranty but still it belongs to sky not me. 
so resolution was contact sky and cancel my package. 
the sky representative explained that the person who called me would not have claimed to be sky but to be from domestic and general on behalf of sky I suggested they want to go back and listen to the phone call or check the script the call centre is using. 

This is not very honest practice Sky. And it has lost you this customer. 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Daztracer 

Sky can't go back and listen to calls from Sky Protect. They are totally different companies. Unfortunately Sky Protect are well known for starting a conversation by saying they are from Sky. Not sure why you felt the need to cancel your Sky subscription but that's your choice. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

@Daniel0210 wrote:

Not sure why you felt the need to cancel your Sky subscription but that's your choice. 

Seems a bit of an over-reaction.

This message was authored by Daz1234 This message was authored by: Daz1234

When I spoke to sky about this they said yes G&D are providing services for them. 
so sky gave them my information surely this is against gdpr? I did not give permission for sky to pass on my details to anyone only for use by Sky. 

anyway either G&D are selling on their own agenda or they are supported by sky. 
if they are on their own agenda they are likely to do anything with the data they now have on me. 
Or

Sky instructed them to purposely mislead people. 

This is why I had to cancel. 

shame really I have had Sky since the old 8 button amstrad boxes. 

what price do you put on your details and data?

This message was authored by Daztracer This message was authored by: Daztracer

Don't know why my username changed. Hopefully it's back now. 

Tried to look at who owns Sky Protect. 

DNS and who is records goes back to Sky servers. 

web presence again go back to sky

https://www.sky.com/protect

so unsure how they are a separate company if they are still Sky?

Maybe a "SuperUser" has the company response. 

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion