Discussion topic: Price Increase

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

Re: Price Increase

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Lexi738 wrote:

Sorry if this is a stupid question.  I renewed my contract in December and it states that the TV price cannot go up by more than 10% in 12 months.  No limit on increases on other services. The total increase is £7 per month -  My TV cost was £26 and will be £29 in April.  I know this is only £1.40 more than 10% would be but is this not a breach of contract.  I've lost the will to live trying to speak to someone at Sky.  Has anyone else had a similar query and got a response from Sky?

The increase refers to the list price of the sub - not your discounted amount.  (And as noted it can

be more than 10% if inflation is high, which it is)

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
This message was authored by Lexi738 This message was authored by: Lexi738

Ok.  Thank you 🙂

This message was authored by Stimo9 This message was authored by: Stimo9

I  would like some explanation on the recent price rices. On the 13th of March I received an  email stating that my tv and broadband would rise from by £7.50 by April. That in itself is quite a large increase for a customer of 9 years. 

I was shocked, then, when I checked my future bill estimations that it might go up a further £3.34 by in May and then up to £59.50 by June. If this is true what is this based on? What can I do about it? 

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Stimo9 

For the additional increases you're seeing a discounted deal may have ended or be ending very soon. You would have been told the date the discounted deal was ending when you originally took it out. If you haven’t already you should compare a previous bill to your latest bill and see where the amounts differ.
If your discount has ended you will need to contact Sky to try to negotiate a new deal which will require another minimum term contract. Sky are not obliged to offer you another discount but if you’re offered something acceptable you need to agree to it there and then because if you decide to think about it the offer may no longer be available.

You can either call Sky or use the following link https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv#contact-leave

This link https://www.sky.com/help/articles/been-overcharged may also help.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

@Stimo9 wrote:

I was shocked, then, when I checked my future bill estimations that it might go up a further £3.34 by in May and then up to £59.50 by June. If this is true what is this based on? What can I do about it? 

It does appear that you have forgotten that you have had a discount on your account, it would have been added about 18 months ago so next month it might be worth contacting Sky to see if they will offer you something else and if they do it will come with a 18 month contract so make a note of when these 18 months are up.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Stimo9 wrote:

On the 13th of March I received an  email stating that my tv and broadband would rise from by £7.50 by April. That in itself is quite a large increase for a customer of 9 years. 

With inflation at around 10% it shouldn't be that much of a surprise. Your tenure has nothing to do with it.

This message was authored by Mike+Hoill This message was authored by: Mike+Hoill

Hi Lesley.

Yes. It has happened to myself exactly the same.

I was going to leave Sky but I was offered a better deal after negitiation in Jan this year and told it was a fixed price for 18 months. Last week I looked at my account billing were its stated a price increase from April. Just 2 months later after being told it was fixed.

Naturally Sky will tell you it wasnt fixed and only your discounts are as they did me. 

If thats the case customers like yourself & myself should not be told other wise when agreeing to the new terms & conditions.

They told me they would call me but never did & just deny my claim as they have yours. 

This message was authored by JPJ18 This message was authored by: JPJ18

You are allowed to leave that particular contract and go elsewhere if they raise the price during your contract. Unfortunately all the other companies are raising their prices too, but shop around. 

@JPJ18 wrote:

Unfortunately all the other companies are raising their prices too, but shop around. 

Often by more than Sky, as they're increasing prices by inflation plus 4% whereas with Sky it's inflation only.

This message was authored by Solar+Dominator This message was authored by: Solar+Dominator

I excepted an offer of sky signature for £19 a month for 18 months. Apparently saving me £180 over that period. Less than 1 month later they've put the price up. That is not what was agreed. Blatant false advertising.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Solar+Dominator wrote:

I excepted an offer of sky signature for £19 a month for 18 months. Apparently saving me £180 over that period. Less than 1 month later they've put the price up. That is not what was agreed. Blatant false advertising.

All the adverts have 'prices may change' on them.  (And they do)

Contracts are rarely fixed price.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

@Solar+Dominator wrote:

I excepted an offer of sky signature for £19 a month for 18 months. Apparently saving me £180 over that period. Less than 1 month later they've put the price up. That is not what was agreed.

It is, actually. You haven't understood the contractual terms and conditions you agreed to.

And prices don't increase until 1 April.

This message was authored by Solar+Dominator This message was authored by: Solar+Dominator

Maybe not but still they offered me the price for 18 months not 1.

This message was authored by Lexi738 This message was authored by: Lexi738

This happens all the time and it stinks.  If a company agrees a price with you to provide a service for 18 months, it should stay at that price for 18 months unless you change the contract in anyway.

It might be industry practice but it doesn't make it right.  You're not telling me that companies don't know their prices are going to increase - they just need to start being honest.  You shouldn't be able to say that it is an 18 month contract at £X amount and then change it almost immediately.  And I know the contract says the price may change but you're not telling me they don't know when it will increase and by how much, when they're selling the contract to you.  This is why people feel like they're being ripped off.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Solar+Dominator 

Just to forewarn you that the price is likely to increase again in April 2025 as per the T's and C's you've agreed to. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion