Discussion topic: New customer better deals

This message was authored by Kdale2 This message was authored by: Kdale2

Re: New customer better deals

I too have been with sky for over 18 years and when i rang them to dispute a new customer contract, 1 they denied  the deal altogether even after i sent them photographic proff, 2 they told me out right that i would never get any deal as good as a new customer and that i was on the best one i can get. I pay over £140 amonth for a very low package comparied to that which a new customer can get. 

This message was authored by doc-ab This message was authored by: doc-ab

I am afraid that you have missed the whole point of the super complaint that resulted in attempt to tackle the loyalty penalty.

The issue was that those that would be classified as vulnerable, e.g. the elderly or those not IT literate etc would end up paying a loyalty penalty by not being able to switch providers and search for the best deals.

If car insurance costs have increased. This has absolutely nothing to do with the super complaint on the ending of introductory discounts. The average price would remain the same since some individuals would have an increase in price and some would have a decrease. The only reasons that average prices would rise be either because insurers have increased their margins or that there has been an increase in the value of claims.

I will also not be sure that the pay tv market will never be tackled

the CMA has already indicated that it believes that a loyalty penalty almost certainly exists in other markets, including

pay TV

breakdown services

pensions

other online markets such as online gaming, software and magazines 

Many other insurance markets 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@doc-ab wrote:

I am afraid that you have missed the whole point of the super complaint that resulted in attempt to tackle the loyalty penalty.

The issue was that those that would be classified as vulnerable, e.g. the elderly or those not IT literate etc would end up paying a loyalty penalty by not being able to switch providers and search for the best deals.

If car insurance costs have increased. This has absolutely nothing to do with the super complaint on the ending of introductory discounts. The average price would remain the same since some individuals would have an increase in price and some would have a decrease. The only reasons that average prices would rise be either because insurers have increased their margins or that there has been an increase in the value of claims.

I will also not be sure that the pay tv market will never be tackled

the CMA has already indicated that it believes that a loyalty penalty almost certainly exists in other markets, including

pay TV

breakdown services

pensions

other online markets such as online gaming, software and magazines 

Many other insurance markets 

So the point I was making is that essentially as the new customer deals are gone from the insurance market, you don't get as good as offers from switching every 12 months. This therefore hits the majority of customers in the pocket with generally higher insurance prices because you can't make the savings you previously could do by switching at the end of your contract to a cheaper price.

Has there been an increase in prices generally in insurance due to inflationary reasons, asolutely but the average cost of insurance packages in the market started going up when this was inplemented due to the cheaper new customer deals being withdrawn.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@doc-ab 

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

So the point I was making is that essentially as the new customer deals are gone from the insurance market, you don't get as good as offers from switching every 12 months.

This is the trouble with a 'competitive market' where providers have to actually offer their services at a 'loss' to gain new customers.  But obviously they can't maintain that in the long run and cannot continue offering a loss - thus relying on customers continuing at higher rates to make profits.

If everyone switched at every contract it would be a different market entirely.  Any 'meddling' will cause everyone's price to rise.  As it stands you are rewarded for continual switching whilst the majority that don't subsidise those that do...

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own

The "average" cost remains the same with the ending of introductory discounts if all other factors remain unchanged.

regular switchers pay more, those that don't switch pay less. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@doc-ab wrote:

The "average" cost remains the same with the ending of introductory discounts if all other factors remain unchanged.

The cheap new customer offers have essentially disappeared which pushes the "average" market price for customers up, as the lowest introductory offers were removed from the market.

I've found you certainly still save money from switching insurance provider every year but the savings tend to be a hell of a lot lower. Just looking at my various insurance products over the several years it's probably on average about 10% now whereas previously on new customer deals you could certainly get in excess of 20%+ in savings.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Eeeps This message was authored by: Eeeps

How much does it actually 'cost' Sky to entice a new customer?

Advertising on Sky channels (I bet that's free!).

I can understand the minimal one off cost of equipment (probably refurbished anyway) & installation.

Above that nothing. There are no ongoing costs (excluding third party supply agreements) for Sky for each additional customer.

Do they lose money on new customers - I bet not. 

So you switch every year and get a 10% discount? As new customers aren't allowed to get a better deal than existing customers then every insurer you switch to must be cheaper overall than the previous one. Existing customers are getting the same deals as you. I think you might be a touch confused. 

@doc-ab wrote:

So you switch every year and get a 10% discount? As new customers aren't allowed to get a better deal than existing customers then every insurer you switch to must be cheaper overall than the previous one. Existing customers are getting the same deals as you. I think you might be a touch confused. 

Nope i'm not confused at all, i think you are.

I was replying to your comment of 

@doc-ab wrote:

Pointing out that your statement of "regular switchers pay more" is completely inaccurate. Regardless of whether new customer or existing customers get the same prices, in a competitive market like insurance, regular switches of providers will be able to play the market and make savings, by switching to another insurance who just happens to have a better price at the point you need your new policy to start. If you don't switch provider, and you tay with the same provider you will in essence be paying more as you won't be taking advantage of market competitiveness to lower the cost of your policy.

You do realise that in the insurance market prices can and often will change on a daily basis, so if you just except the renewal quote your existing provider generates and auto-renews, you are extremely unlikely to be taking advantage of pricing differentiations.

NOT a Sky Employee

You yourself have told us that as a regular switcher you are paying more tha you used to 

Bye have a good day

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion