Discussion topic: My bill rose by over 50% while i am tied into a contract surely this is an unfair practice.

This message was authored by happyhoker This message was authored by: happyhoker

My bill rose by over 50% while i am tied into a contract surely this is an unfair practice.

i took out sky tv and broadband 18 months ago. and in jan, feb and march 2023 my bill was £40. it has now  risen to over£66, in less than 18 months and while i am tied into a contract suerly this is an unfair practice.

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Re: My bill rose by over 50% while i am tied into a contract surely this is an unfair practice.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@happyhoker 

So you discounts agreed 18 months ago will be ending now for obvious reasons. Sky will have told you the date the discount was ending when you took it out. You could compare a previous bill to your latest bill and see where the amounts differ
www.sky.com/bill.

If your discounts have ended you can contact Sky to try to negotiate a new deal or potentially amend your package which will now require a 24 month minimum term contract. Sky are not obliged to offer you another discount, in fact recent posts on here indicate that significant discounts are no longer being offered. If you’re offered something acceptable be prepared to agree to it there and then because if you decide to think about it the offer may no longer be available when you call back.

You can either call Sky or use the following link
https://www.sky.com/help/articles/cancel-sky-tv#contact-leave

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Re: My bill rose by over 50% while i am tied into a contract surely this is an unfair practice.

@happyhoker wrote:

i took out sky tv and broadband 18 months ago.

If you were in a 18 month contract then the discounts you have will have now finished hence the price increase as they were never going to last beyond this minimum term.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
happyhoker
Topic Author
This message was authored by happyhoker This message was authored by: happyhoker

Maybe i didnt explain properly....jan feb march 2023 my bill is £40.. in april it goes up to £46. in june it goes up to £52..in january 2024 it goes up to £54.. in feb it goes upto £58.. in april it goes upto £65.50 at all times i am in contract and i am still in contract... so how come a company can increase your monthly payments by over 50% and this practice not be an unfair practice under  UK consumer regulations law ?

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

You were in a contract so while they means the percentage you are saving (let us say 30%) remains the same throughout the price itself is not fixed due to the annual price rise of which you will have seen twice in April and as we pay in advance it would have been split across two bills.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@happyhoker wrote:

so how come a company can increase your monthly payments by over 50% and this practice not be an unfair practice under  UK consumer regulations law ?

That's probably a clue it's entirely legal....

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
happyhoker
Topic Author

but suerly over 50% increase in 18 months is more than skys anual increase. also i feel that i have been taken advantage of because they have me locked into a contract.... i do intend to chalenge this as i beleve sky are operating an unfair practice of price hiking for pepole they have locked into a contract, and to tell the truth after 11 years this will be my last time with sky as i wont deal with anyone that i feel is out to profiteer from the pepole they have locked into a contract.... 

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@happyhoker wrote:

but suerly over 50% increase in 18 months is more than skys anual increase. also i feel that i have been taken advantage of because they have me locked into a contract.... i do intend to chalenge this as i beleve sky are operating an unfair practice of price hiking for pepole they have locked into a contract, and to tell the truth after 11 years this will be my last time with sky as i wont deal with anyone that i feel is out to profiteer from the pepole they have locked into a contract.... 

Look at the maximum increase terms (which can trigger an exit).  However, the better discounts you start with mean list price increases (which can be within the trigger clauses) are higher in relative terms.

But without looking at your individual discounts and rates it does sound a bit on the high side...  check it carefully as there may be a mistake in the billing somewhere.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
happyhoker
Topic Author

if you beleve that everything a company does is legal, then surely there is no need for consumer protection laws in the UK.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@happyhoker wrote:

Its in the T&Cs you agreed to when you agreed to the contract to become a Sky customer. The T&Cs states there is an annual price rise, as a percentage, on the list price once a year. The greater the discounts you have in your deal, the greater the actual percentage rise will be in your individual circumstance.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

happyhoker
Topic Author

Ok an annual price rise (once a year). But why has my bill gone up 5 separate times … jan feb march 2023 my bill is £40.. in April it goes up to £46. in June it goes up to £52..in January 2024 it goes up to £54.. in feb it goes up to £58.. in April it goes up to £65.50 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

We can't see your bills. Try comparing the April and January bills with the respective previous months to see where the differences are.

This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@happyhoker wrote:

Ok an annual price rise (once a year). But why has my bill gone up 5 separate times … jan feb march 2023 my bill is £40.. in April it goes up to £46. in June it goes up to £52..in January 2024 it goes up to £54.. in feb it goes up to £58.. in April it goes up to £65.50 

We can't see your bills - but single changes will usually occur over 2 months due to pro-rata billing.

You'll have to check list prices and discount expiry on each bill to see what's going on.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
happyhoker
Topic Author

i have looked through my bills and i have found that not only have i received the annual price increase. But sky have reduced my discounts. What is “ Ultimate tv add on”…. This used to be free, now it costs me £8.. my discount for tv used to have two -£10 and -£5 this has changed to -£5 and -£5. My broadband used to be -£7 and - £5 now it is -£5 and -£5 in summery my discounts have been reduced by £7 and I am now paying £8 for Ultimate tv add on that used to be free plus my annual price increases..  my question is if I was given a discount then surely it would run for the term of the contract.   

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@happyhoker wrote:

my question is if I was given a discount then surely it would run for the term of the contract.   

Not necessarily.  It would depend on the offer you agreed to. Details will be in the confirmation email or letter you received at the time.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion