Discussion topic: Account name

This message was authored by Claire1945 This message was authored by: Claire1945

Account name

Hi

My ex husband is the named account holder, he doesn't live in my house, I pay the bill.. my bank account details , phone number and email address are on the Sky account. It is NOT an option to contact him. I was advised by Reece in the cancellation department to simply stop paying my bill / delete direct debit as a way to cancel my account. Please can this be confirmed as the only way I can do this!.

I did want to talk about upgrading to fiber but feel now that it's potentially fraudulent if the account is in somebody else's name. I don't want letters coming to my house for him and potentially it being handed to debt collectors if I just cancel my dd. Please help, but I will repeat that IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO CONTACT HIM!!

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Account name

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Claire1945  As the account isn't under your name Sky won't speak to you, Sky won't transfer the account to your name, any letters received for your ex  should be returned, to sender as that is all you can do right now.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Claire1945 

If you cancel the payment method Sky will restrict the services and chase your ex for payment. Based on them thinking he's at the account address it will no doubt result in letters and possibly debt collectors writing to your address. 

It would help you if you can inform your ex of your intention perhaps through a mutual friend. 

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by PandJ2020 This message was authored by: PandJ2020

@Claire1945 wrote:

... to simply stop paying my bill / delete direct debit as a way to cancel my account.

As noted, it's not your account (even if you are paying). Stopping paying will cause the services to be initially restricted and ultimately it will head to debt recovery/collection.  But as it's not your account you are not liable at all. However, it may impact your ability to get replacement services at the address.

I am just another Sky customer and my views are my own
Claire1945
Topic Author
This message was authored by Claire1945 This message was authored by: Claire1945

Think I'll just have to pretend to be him then.. luckily it's a name could be for male or female ... every other detail on the account is mine 🤷‍♀️

No one here will recommend that course of action.  (For obvious reasons)

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

In case it's not obvious - it's fraud.

Claire1945
Topic Author

Well what an impossible situation I'm in then

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Claire1945 

Is there a problem getting a message to your ex through a mutual friend or family member that you intend stopping payments? 

Sky customer since 2001
Claire1945
Topic Author

Yep zero chance, nobody is in touch or certainly wants to be.. it's not an option . Plus the email , 📧 hone number etc etc is all mine 

@Claire1945 wrote:

Plus the email , 📧 hone number etc etc is all mine 

Not if you're not the account holder...

If you want to maintain the service then you'll have to keep paying the account until you manage contact.

Claire1945
Topic Author

I repeat... contact will NEVER be an option.

@Claire1945 

Then you have the option of cancelling the payment method as suggested by Sky or waiting for your ex to cancel the subscription but you won't be able to change the subscription as you're not the account holder. 

Edit: A problem will arise when your ex's discounted deals end. Unless he then renews (why would he) you will end up paying the full undiscounted standard charges. 

Sky customer since 2001
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

The account holder no longer lives at the address that the service is provided to and presumably couldn't care less about it. The person who does live at the address wants an account in their own name. Surely Sky have a mechanism for achieving this?

If they don't, I'd go down the route you suggested of cancelling it on his behalf @Claire1945 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 50 minutes

New Discussion