Discussion topic: music in background

This message was authored by Boforsman This message was authored by: Boforsman

music in background

background musicThe 

why does some programmes have rpthe irritating background music! Sometimes it drowns out the speech in a programme.

a terrible idea!

i have been a sky customer for 25 years but unless this stupid idea is sorted out ,remember you ain’t the only horse at the Rodeo, I certainly will cancel subscription,some shows are unwatchable.

get it sorted to reduce it or remove it.

All Replies

This message was authored by oldfella This message was authored by: oldfella

Re: music in background

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Boforsman wrote:

background musicThe 

why does some programmes have rpthe irritating background music! Sometimes it drowns out the speech in a programme.

a terrible idea!

i have been a sky customer for 25 years but unless this stupid idea is sorted out ,remember you ain’t the only horse at the Rodeo, I certainly will cancel subscription,some shows are unwatchable.

get it sorted to reduce it or remove it.

Hi @Boforsman 

Afraid you are not contacting Sky directly here as this is a customer forum.
If you need to contact them you need to persevere by phone.
To contact Sky
Select Need more help
at the bottom of the following link and this will lead to a phone contact.
Ignore all automated messages and wait for an agent
https://www.sky.com/help/home.

Just be aware that the music in Entertainment and Films is not added by Sky and is part of the content of the production.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Boforsman 

You don't say what programmes or which channels they are on. Sky can't dictate this on channels they don't own. 

By the way you aren’t addressing Sky Customer Services here. This is mainly a forum where customers help other customers so Sky won’t automatically contact you based on your post.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Unless these are sky original productions, there's very little sky could do.

Even then, there may not be much as it would be down to the production companies.

What are the programmes that you find this on?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

I have to agree with the OP, & I'm sure it isn't only content on the Sky platform where this happens. So many programmes are ruined by loud " background " ( more like foreground ) music & a lot of them don't even need it, I don't know what the programme-makers are thinking of. Don't they watch their own programmes before putting them out for us to watch? So many times I've seen a documentary where all there is on screen is a talking head telling us their story, but blaring away in the background is completely unnecessary music. @Boforsman  is right, it needs to stop.

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@merv60 wrote:

I have to agree with the OP, & I'm sure it isn't only content on the Sky platform where this happens. So many programmes are ruined by loud " background " ( more like foreground ) music & a lot of them don't even need it, I don't know what the programme-makers are thinking of. Don't they watch their own programmes before putting them out for us to watch? So many times I've seen a documentary where all there is on screen is a talking head telling us their story, but blaring away in the background is completely unnecessary music. @Boforsman  is right, it needs to stop.

Whilst that maybe the case, it has nothing to do with Sky who can't change what the programme maker has created. Therefore it's pretty pointless posting it on  Sky TV forum.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Boforsman it might just be worth checking that the sound output on your Sky device isn't set to DolbyD (unless ir's connected to an external sound system of course). 

@Doc5907 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

Whilst that maybe the case, it has nothing to do with Sky who can't change what the programme maker has created. Therefore it's pretty pointless posting it on  Sky TV forum.

@Doc5907 What? So I'm not allowed to have an opinion on a forum now? Well, that's news to me. Read my post properly. I said at the beginning ( & this is me having my opinion about the general issue in hand ) " ...I'm sure it isn't only content on the Sky platform where this happens. " To spell it out for you, that means I have noticed the same issue on other platforms too, all of which btw, are available via Sky Q. So I think I'm posting on exactly the right forum. Tell me where I blamed Sky in particular. I can save you the time, because I didn't. Note the part where I say "I don't know what the programme-makers are thinking of. "

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@merv60 wrote:

@Doc5907 wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

@Doc5907 What? So I'm not allowed to have an opinion on a forum now? Well, that's news to me. Read my post properly. I said at the beginning ( & this is me having my opinion about the general issue in hand ) " ...I'm sure it isn't only content on the Sky platform where this happens. " To spell it out for you, that means I have noticed the same issue on other platforms too, all of which btw, are available via Sky Q. So I think I'm posting on exactly the right forum. Tell me where I blamed Sky in particular. I can save you the time, because I didn't. Note the part where I say "I don't know what the programme-makers are thinking of. "

My statement about it being nothing to do with Sky and pointless was aimed more at the OP who threatened to cancel Sky unless they remove it.

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Boforsman 

As noted, Sky itself only makes or commissions a tiny percentage of the content available through its EPG, and is not responsible for the sound mixing on anything else.  You'd find exactly the same issue with any other distribution platform.

Typically stereo television speakers are very poor at reproducing the kind of mix which producers now prefer to use: a soundbar (even a budget model) might be a significant improvement because it has a centre channel to carry dialogue.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/why-tv-dialogue-hard-hear-users-viewers

https://www.howtogeek.com/879402/why-you-cant-hear-dialogue-on-your-tv-and-7-ways-to-fix-it/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Boforsman 

As noted, Sky itself only makes or commissions a tiny percentage of the content available through its EPG, and is not responsible for the sound mixing on anything else.  You'd find exactly the same issue with any other distribution platform.

Typically stereo television speakers are very poor at reproducing the kind of mix which producers now prefer to use: a soundbar (even a budget model) might be a significant improvement because it has a centre channel to carry dialogue.

https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/why-tv-dialogue-hard-hear-users-viewers

https://www.howtogeek.com/879402/why-you-cant-hear-dialogue-on-your-tv-and-7-ways-to-fix-it/ 

I do have a soundbar, a very good one, but the issue with background music is still there. It literally happened this afternoon whilst we were watching America's Got Talent. Someone from an act was talking, telling us their story which was being drowned out by plinky-plonky piano music which most definitely did not need to be added. Why people go to the trouble of making a good show or a documentary as I mentioned before & then make the stupid decision to add unnecessary music astonishes me.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Consider your knuckles rapped @Doc5907 ‌‌😁

This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

A reminder to adhere to the Community Rules in particular rule 1 - to be kind to each other. 

Kirsty

Community Manager

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion