Discussion topic: Too many subs required & online accounts Peacock, Apple, Disney, Paramount etc to access previously

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Too many subs required & online accounts Peacock, Apple, Disney, Paramount etc to access previously

A ridiculous proliferation of on line account sign ups now required. It's bewildering anooying & irritating. A lack of customer service thought put into this. Everyone just looking for more money right now. Very very bad policy & timing. Expect a huge amount of cancelled subscriptions. 

All Replies

This message was authored by NickNewark This message was authored by: NickNewark

Re: Too many subs required & online accounts Peacock, Apple, Disney, Paramount etc to access pre

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Anonymous I do agree with you in some ways. There's so much choice nowadays, but that said you can pick and choose which you subscribe too. Personally I only use Netflix, which I do get though Sky as it's cheaper. The only other one I use is Disney, but only now and again. 

love it or hate it. It's the future of TV.  Take me back to the 90's. 😀

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Too many subs required & online accounts Peacock, Apple, Disney, Paramount etc to access pre

@Anonymous it's not Sky's choice. It's the way these providers have chosen to do things, doubtless for commercial reasons.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

This was my big concern when it began. 

The fragmentation of the supply was always going to lead customers loosing out - either by having to pay more for several services or paying less but unable to watch something they mght want at a given time

As more providers - Studios, or distributors - launch their own services the less is available to other providers as they make their core content exclusive to them - although some may allow some content to others such as SKY

I think it may ultimately be cyclacle and that in the distant future more content may become availble again via single providers (although probably still with some fragmentation) but I think if it does happen it is a long way and we are likely to see more fragmantation in the short term. 

Competetion in this market is not quite the same as say, broadband,  as the choice is not really currently about who provides the content but more what content is provided.  

As I say, personally I think customers are loosing out by such fragmentation but that is not the concern of those setting up   such services. 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

There is only so much you can watch. I've netflix, disney, and sky and stuff builds on my watch lists

I'm sure if I had discovery, apple, and prime, my prospective watchlists would be far more, that I will never watch.

Best way to realise you can only watch so much, so plan what packages you want based on that. 

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by redsky88 This message was authored by: redsky88

Sadly it looks like this is the future of content for the foreseeable future. Every content provider wants the direct to consumer model but some will be disappointed. As already mentioned there is only so much money and only so much time to consume the content. Some services are sure to fail or at least amalgamate with other services over time. At least on Sky there is some attempt to curate across platforms where possible. 

Topic Author
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

Thanks for the considered comments all. All points well made. Only so much 1 person can watch. That's the thrust of the point. Rapidly changing world. 1st World problems I'm very much aware. Just hope some of the suits in these media conglomerates get the way to go is smaller amount of platforms for customers convenience of use & pockets. Media monopolies as in sport BT joint approach with Sky to football etc would ultimately get a cheaper deal for consumer not for the pockets of footballers earning £200 thousand a week. Boo hoo short career life only 10 years. Only earn. £100 million. Try working 40 years for £25 thousand a year. £1 million in an average length lifetime. I think it may be back to dvd's and the pub for the big matches. Who can really afford all content. Its not that we watch it. Its the ability to cherry pick at will. Its not that long ( maybe 12 years). We had all the content entertainment, movies & sports footy, horse racing etc under 1 subscription roof. That would cost approx £60 a month. Now over £200. Since banking hierarchy robbed us all in 2008. Salaries static. Prices hike, products split. Average punter mugged. And they wonder why strikes???!!! On this particular forum I'd like to see an avalanche of complaints to Sky. Perhaps the much more tech savvy of you guys could get the point across on social media more concisely & widespread. This sentiment & experience has been building for a couple of years but this year in particular has just gone too far. Corporate Social Responsibility as Ricky would say.... My **bleep**!!! 

This message was authored by merv60 This message was authored by: merv60

I think I may be in a different camp here but I'm okay with having these different platforms. It's a good job they're available tbh, as there really hasn't been much on Sky to watch lately, personally speaking. We have Sky Q, but also Amazon Prime, which we have for its other benefits ( it's probably the least watched of all the platforms we have ), Netflix via Sky as it's cheaper as someone else mentioned, Apple TV+ which is very reasonably priced at £4.99 pm and Disney+ which we pay for annually as it's cheaper that way. We've even been using YouTube more lately which is free. 

I really like having all the choice that's available, but I try to make sure I don't overfill the watchlists & I keep swapping around between the various platforms on a regular basis to make sure they're all being used. I'm not saying I'll be subscribing to all of the platforms because that probably would be too costly, but I'm certainly happy with what we've got.

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@merv60 wrote:

I think I may be in a different camp here but I'm okay with having these different platforms. It's a good job they're available tbh, as there really hasn't been much on Sky to watch lately, personally speaking. We have Sky Q, but also Amazon Prime, which we have for its other benefits ( it's probably the least watched of all the platforms we have ), Netflix via Sky as it's cheaper as someone else mentioned, Apple TV+ which is very reasonably priced at £4.99 pm and Disney+ which we pay for annually as it's cheaper that way. We've even been using YouTube more lately which is free. 

I really like having all the choice that's available, but I try to make sure I don't overfill the watchlists & I keep swapping around between the various platforms on a regular basis to make sure they're all being used. I'm not saying I'll be subscribing to all of the platforms because that probably would be too costly, but I'm certainly happy with what we've got.

But some programs and movies have left Sky or not come to Sky because they've gone to a streaming service. Some cannot afford all of these different streaming services and it's only going to get worse when the energy prices rise in October and prices for food follow on.

@LGUser wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

But some programs and movies have left Sky or not come to Sky because they've gone to a streaming service. Some cannot afford all of these different streaming services and it's only going to get worse when the energy prices rise in October and prices for food follow on.

@LGUser  I'm well aware of all that you have said, I do know what is going on in the world. My post was how I personally felt about streaming services. I did begin my post by saying I think I may be in a different camp.

@merv60  I do feel that TV is getting rather fragmented becaue of all the streaming services.

Disney owns ABC and FX. CBS own Paramount+.

So I can see a lot of US TV going to Disney+ and Paramount+. When the contracts are up. Disney has already pulled some programming onto Disney+. I can see more going over when they can get it. I can see Paramount+ has some US programs that used to be on Sky. I can see more of this happening.

@LGUser wrote:

@merv60  I do feel that TV is getting rather fragmented becaue of all the streaming services.

So I can see a lot of US TV going to Disney+ and Paramount+. When the contracts are up. Disney has already pulled some programming onto Disney+. I can see more going over when they can get it. I can see Paramount+ has some US programs that used to be on Sky. I can see more of this happening.

@LGUser Yes, it's certainly how it's going. It looks like I already wasted my time watching S1 of Yellowjackets on Sky as I think S2 will be on Paramount+, which I don't subscribe to. Maybe there will be a free 7-day trial still on offer when S2 appears. We'll see.

@merv60 wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

@LGUser Yes, it's certainly how it's going. It looks like I already wasted my time watching S1 of Yellowjackets on Sky as I think S2 will be on Paramount+, which I don't subscribe to. Maybe there will be a free 7-day trial still on offer when S2 appears. We'll see.

An interesting example  of the proglem streaming servers are causing is with NCIS and NCIS: Hawai'i.  Nobody is picking up NCIS Hawai'i because of the crossovers with NCIS because NCIS is on Disney+ Disney+ is not picking up NCIS: Hawai'i becase it's not their program.

I'm expecting The Simpsons next season to be on Disney+ given that last season was only on Sky Showcase and no available on Catch Up. I also expect 9-1-1 to go to Disney+ when the contract expires as well as Grey's Anatomy and Station 19.

One other thing I kind of expect is new shows from ABC to go to Disney+

@LGUser wrote:

@merv60 wrote:

@LGUser wrote:

An interesting example  of the proglem streaming servers are causing is with NCIS and NCIS: Hawai'i.  Nobody is picking up NCIS Hawai'i because of the crossovers with NCIS because NCIS is on Disney+ Disney+ is not picking up NCIS: Hawai'i becase it's not their program.

I'm expecting The Simpsons next season to be on Disney+ given that last season was only on Sky Showcase and no available on Catch Up. I also expect 9-1-1 to go to Disney+ when the contract expires as well as Grey's Anatomy and Station 19.

One other thing I kind of expect is new shows from ABC to go to Disney+

@LGUser  Good job we have Disney+ then. 👍

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Another user wrote:

• I'm expecting The Simpsons next season to be on Disney+ given that last season was only on Sky Showcase and no available on Catch Up

That has always been the way with the simpsons though. None of the other previous seasons were on catch up either.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion