Discussion topic: Too many adverts on an expensive pay service, WHY?

This message was authored by daveNOS This message was authored by: daveNOS

Re: Too many adverts on an expensive pay service, WHY?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RayMcc I hope your not in charge of a business anywhere.

The pay TV companies you mention have a potential customer base that is massively more than Sky's and are offset by a global retail empire(Amazon) and massive debt owed to investors(Netflix), Netflix are adding adverts soon aswell to try and put a halt to the losses, there is also the small factor pfhem carrying far less content.

Whether you acknowledge it or not the revenue gained through adverts does help lower the cost to subscribers.

-------- Please note i am not a Sky employee ----------
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Disney plus also talking about adding ads

The content of apple TV and prime video are just massive expensive ads themselves

Did discovery plus add ads earlier this year?

Prior to takeover by comcast, ad revenue made up about 10% of revenue. To replace this, sky would have to increase prices by 12% atleast  (before even considering the effect of a 12% increase on customer retention.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@RayMcc wrote:

Sky Q is a paid service and quite expensive too.

So why so many adverts?   Its becoming unwatchable. 

Costs way more than BBC, Netflix and Amazon prime all put together.

Taking the Micky out of their customers.

I will provide a very simplistic, generalisation answer:

Sky Q and subscription services:
If there were no adverts on Sky channels; the costs would fall on the customers and the channel providers solely. This means that customers would have a severe increase in their TV subscription price. Costs would also go up for channels providers too, meaning less original programming and programming that audiences like.

Channels providers (example: That's TV, Channel 4);

Channels have adverts to cut costs and to keep channels free-to-air where possible. 

Subscription services like Netflix and Amazon;

These subscription services can keep their costs low based on the amount of subscriptions. Look at the likes of Netflix and Amazon looking to provide an ad-based alternative as current subscription costs are not viable.

The ads are there to pay for part of your subscription and for some of the costs to channel providers.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Anonymous wrote:

@RayMcc wrote:

These subscription services can keep their costs low based on the amount of subscriptions.

And, as noted by @daveNOS above, are typically cross-subsidised from elsewhere.  Prime is an extended promotional tool for a reasonably sizeable warehouse/delivery/cloud-computing operation, Apple TV is paid-for largely by the profit margin on overpriced shiny things, and apparently that Disney chap owns some real-estate in California and Florida.

Oh, and the BBC stealth-taxes pretty well every household in the UK to provide iPlayer 'for free', but let's not get into that one again, please ; )

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@RayMcc wrote:

These subscription services can keep their costs low based on the amount of subscriptions.

And, as noted by @daveNOS above, are typically cross-subsidised from elsewhere.  Prime is an extended promotional tool for a reasonably sizeable warehouse/delivery/cloud-computing operation, Apple TV is paid-for largely by the profit margin on overpriced shiny things, and apparently that Disney chap owns some real-estate in California and Florida.

Oh, and the BBC stealth-taxes pretty well every household in the UK to provide iPlayer 'for free', but let's not get into that one again, please ; )

"I will provide a very simplistic, generalisation answer: [...]". Of course, but there is no need to go into that much detail for this discussion. 

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

@nolte wrote:

If I am watching stuff live (cycling on eurosport, the simpsons) and it goes to an ad break, I reach for the remote and go to fast forward it

It is only after 3 or 4 presses of the button, I realise why nothing happens

You can't FF the commercials if you are watching a program as it's being broadcast. Given that you can FF the commercials means you are not watching it live.

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Peacock in the US has an advert supported tier.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@LGUser wrote:

@nolte wrote:

If I am watching stuff live (cycling on eurosport, the simpsons) and it goes to an ad break, I reach for the remote and go to fast forward it

It is only after 3 or 4 presses of the button, I realise why nothing happens

You can't FF the commercials if you are watching a program as it's being broadcast. Given that you can FF the commercials means you are not watching it live.

I think the OP got that 😆

This message was authored by F1+Lover This message was authored by: F1+Lover

Gibberish answers..

Sky, has upset the sporting world for years. The price of a ticket to watch football for example, all based and caused by the ridiculous rights to air - this was a Sky driven issue.

So anyone on here that defends skys need to make profit needs furthe research and like I said, the weird fanboy brigade that gaslight Sky and other users of this community really need to do more than chase their ratings.

It's absolutely atrocious that Ofcom, granted, the right to show more adverts British TV has become American, which in its self is an absolute shambles, and a shame.

We are currently sat here, watching Atlantic Crossing and the automatic placement of these adverts and the selection of is killing the series...

These adverts absolutely destroy the flow of television, and as a family paying £100 a month for the subscription, it's completely unacceptable that we have to put up with this nonsense, for a start I don't wanna buy a lady shaver I don't need any help prosecuting the NHS, I've not had an accident that wasn't my fault, I don't wish to leave money on my death to cats, or place and bet with the endless companies advertising, or be told and patronised  that I need to gamble and drink responsibly, add to this, I'm not interested in a mattress..  It's just noise!

No need to bit bake, I know more than most having works as part the SLT for many years.. I know the strategy..

Really, I've worked in that department for 10years.. I'd like to see your source..

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@F1+Lover wrote:

Really, I've worked in that department for 10years.. I'd like to see your source..

@F1+Lover 

You're adding to a thread that hasn't been posted on for 6 months. We have no idea who you're replying to with these comments. Perhaps tagging the user would help. 

edit- typo

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

Feel better?

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Atlantic Crossing is on Drama which is owned by UKTV. Complaints about their ad placements should be directed at them.

I am curious how sky are at fault for rise in ticket prices for football.

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@F1+Lover wrote:

Sky, has upset the sporting world for years. The price of a ticket to watch football for example, all based and caused by the ridiculous rights to air - this was a Sky driven issue.

Quite possibly, but short of inventing time travel, popping back three decades to the early 1990s and then convincing ITV they should bid more than the £191 million which BSkyB was offering to secure the first Premier League match rights, it's rather difficult to see how this can now be amended. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_on_television 

Of course, the PL could have chosen to stay on terrestrial television, but there was rather less money in that...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

again, you'd need to do your research in 2016 alone Sky invested 4+Billion in football rights..

skys overpriced investment in UK and European football, let alone other sporting streams, has driven ticket prices through the roof, hence supporters of clubs that have been fans for decades, can no longer afford to watch their clubs at home or away.

please reciew stats off player salaries and transfer fees before and after Sky got their dirty little fingers in sport.

all of this before I start in F1, the amount of people I've met who can't afford Sky, love F1 and are cut out of the loop, to watch highlights..

then we have international sporting events such as rugby in the past..

someone earlier, mentioned the Netflix monetisation model changing to allow adverts, again, misinformation and case example of someone baking the story to validate their own points. The thing is yes, they are concidering it, but not in a way that detriments their subscription base. The idea is based on the Prime model, of allowing more customers access through Free to View channels..

im not here to educate you, I'm here to point out that being a Sky fanboy doesn't mean you need to stamp all over an OPs question or opinion.

this being a six month old post is irrelevant, that's you trying be all big in front of your friends, may be a self ego thing...

just do some homework, apply research as supposed to blind self-fulfilment and gratification, hence I'm not tagging any of the previous contributors, because my statements is aimed at most fanboys.

as for those saying, they record their programs and then playback and fast forward through the mundane, I actually do the same. The point is we pay over £100 a month for our Sky package, we have it in all bedrooms our lounge, office and cinema room. But as anyone reading this will know, yesterday sky decided to put their prices up.. So, the point is.. Many people feel they pay enough already, without the stealth cost of being forced to watch more and more advertisements.

at the end of the day, sky has shareholders, and that will always drive an organisation into greed and profitability, this doesn't often correlate with value.

it's plain to see who produced and aired Atlantic Crossing,  but do you understand advertising yield, reach and return. They are factors of synchronicity,.. The no escape approach.

the reason as to why when you now change channel during an advert and see nothing other than adverts on other channels. It is not a coincidence by any stretch, and was the outcome of the decision made across the entirety of Sky's broadcasting portfolio.

It was Ofcom's decision to support the requests of independent broadcasters to enable them to sell and broadcast more adverts. This is why we now see so many adverts in a given broadcast.

now, as mentioned, if the OP finds the number of adverts, irritating and disruptive to the flow of multimillion pound productions, then he has a right to do so, what it doesn't require is a sky fanboy, ripping him, apart, based on the fact that he has nothing more to do in life. Despite the odd signatures of listing their Sky equipment, which baffles me in spades. 

there is such a thing as quality over quantity - even when it comes to a forum, add that to your clout score..

often, humility and empathy go far, especially when acting as a so called SME in a forum.

I've said my point, stop beating people's opinions.. if you disagree great, but stamping on someone to add more posts to your profile sucks..

how  about this, go back, like I have done across many of your posts and review the context and tone of your responses..

this is aimed at no individual hence the 'not tagging' crap previously mentioned..

see ya.. I'm off to find more bullies.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion