Discussion topic: The open golf UHD

This message was authored by safcbrett This message was authored by: safcbrett

The open golf UHD

Will sky be showing the open in IUHD, I know nornally we don't get golf in uhd because it has an America. Broadcaster but as sky are the main broadcaster will this be available 

All Replies

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: The open golf UHD

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@safcbrett wrote:

as sky are the main broadcaster 

That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing the camera capture though: typically for sporting events of global interest it's the organiser or venue which contracts for coverage and then sells the output to distributors around the world.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@safcbrett wrote:

as sky are the main broadcaster 

That doesn't necessarily mean they are doing the camera capture though: typically for sporting events of global interest it's the organiser or venue which contracts for coverage and then sells the output to distributors around the world.

I think CTV Outside Broadcasts do most of the actual location work in Europe for Golf. on behalf of DP World Tour (previously the European Tour) & PGA in Europe 

I had a chat with one of their Camera operators during the Senior Open in 2019 who said he was previously at the Open in Portrush the week or 2 before  (for those that may remember it it was rather wet & blustery to say the least) .

I also saw several of the same crew at the Ladies Open in Woburn that year

He  said they spend a lot of time at airports getting to all the various venues around Europe

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

BTW as the Scottish Open this week  is only HD then I can't see that changing for the Open - although I would like to be proved wrong

This message was authored by ozsat This message was authored by: ozsat

There is no golf listing on SkyQ in UHD between 10-16 July - just lots of cricket.

@safcbrett wrote:

Will sky be showing the open in IUHD, I know nornally we don't get golf in uhd because it has an America. Broadcaster but as sky are the main broadcaster will this be available 

================================================
SkyQ Silver bundle (V2 2TB with UHD/HDR + two minis) in Sky region #71 (Oxford) using VirginMedia Gig1 Fibre (1.2Gbps/100Mbps).

safcbrett
Topic Author
This message was authored by safcbrett This message was authored by: safcbrett

It's a shame as golf is absolutely perfect for uhd , but sky only really 3 4 sports in 4k.

football, cricket, f1 , and the works darts championship 

This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

Not hearing that we are going to get any of the major Golf tournaments in UHD anytime soon.

It is a shame as Direct TV and Youtube TV in the US once again are showing the British Open in UHD as featured holes and a featured group offfering.

As Sky and NBC film it, being the official broadcasters, odd we give them the UHD feed and a UK and NBC US audience do not get it.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@lettice wrote:

As Sky and NBC film it

I think we've established they don't, though.

It's really up to event owners / organisers to decide if they want to allocate the extra resources required to commission UHD coverage, and then where those feeds go.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by lettice This message was authored by: lettice

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Yes they do.
And if you watched some of the the pre tournament progarmmes over the weekend they showed some of the extra Sky and NBC joint kit they were using (200+ cameras) and some newer camera positions.

- - - - - - - -
Sky Community Superuser
Sky Stream (2 pucks), Sky Ultrafast + using Sky SR203 hub. Sky Protect kit tester.
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@lettice wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Yes they do.
And if you watched some of the the pre tournament progarmmes over the weekend they showed some of the extra Sky and NBC joint kit they were using (200+ cameras) and some newer camera positions.

Both Sky and NBC take their own kit (in moderation compared to the size of the event) but production is handled by European Tour Productions, in conjunction with IMG. Outside broadcast is handled by CTV/EMG.

All broadcasters, including the UK, take the world feed pictures as their primary feed but can cut away to their own cameras as required. With the US being a primary market, doing so allows NBC to feature American players more prominently than is the case on the world feed pictures. Both broadcasters obviously overlay their own graphics and commentary on the world feed pictures for extra local feel. 

This message was authored by Nigel19076 This message was authored by: Nigel19076

We know, they won't be showing the Open on UHD, but there is obviously a desire for it to be shown in UHD.

As it is 2022 and the customers are requesting it, maybe its time Sky sat up and took notice.

Tim
This message was authored by Beatitude This message was authored by: Beatitude

I'm pretty shocked that the open isn't being shown in UHD, absolutely perfect event for it along with all of the golf majors

This message was authored by shades848 This message was authored by: shades848

Given the NFL and NBA is not shown in uhd on the US networks due it being on free to air tv on ABC and NBC (there local OtA stations that still on 720p or 1080i) as such I don't think the world feed will be any higher than 1080i for long time for the golf majors as The open is only one outside the USA. 

sky does not show super bowl or NBA in UHD either 

This message was authored by Jerry+O+Leary This message was authored by: Jerry+O+Leary

Great to see SKY are showing the Ladies British Open Golf in full 4K/HDR. It is only when you view it, does one realise the step up from HD. Excellent. 

Hopefully the start of a trend.

Well done

This message was authored by NewtonBoy This message was authored by: NewtonBoy

@Jerry+O+Leary 

It's not produced in UHD/HDR, it's just HD upscaled.   You can get a similar effect if your TV has an 'HDR effect' picture mode.

You can always check if it's 'real' by going to the dedicated HD channel the sport is on and pressing select.  If there is native UHD you'll get the 'select for UHD' prompt.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion