Discussion topic: Solheim Cup Coverage

This message was authored by Disgruntled+3D This message was authored by: Disgruntled+3D

Solheim Cup Coverage

I am watching coverage of The Solheim Cup on Sky Glass, and have to say how disappointed I am, not only in the camera work, with lots of "wandering" shots resulting in a lack of the action. Also, the commentators seemed to have little idea of what is going on, with many comments which gave the wrong outcome!

I can only hope coverage of The Ryder Cup is better 🤔🙄

All Replies

This message was authored by Andrew701 This message was authored by: Andrew701

golf coverage

Very disapointing after many years of showing golf spending millions of pounds golf coverage on sky is just terrible. Exclude the commentators who are excellent. The person who decides what appears on our screens is not up to the job. Perfect example yesterday 23/09 during the fousomes in the Solheim Cup. American tees off on a par 3 camera shows European player walking across the tee to tee off. On screen a flag! Then an approach shot to a green from another group, then an approach shot from another group same again from the 4th group. Finally returning to the 1st group for a putt to win the hole. What happened in between? Fortunately I can watch on Supersport SA with less advertisements, even their experienced commentators are confused by the lack of fluency in the Sky on screen performance. Suggest said person watches archive footage from the BBC to see how job should be done

This message was authored by Maxstoke This message was authored by: Maxstoke

Re: golf coverage

Awful sky coverage of solheim cup - production staff don't seem to know what's going on.

commentary awful- Paul McGinley repeating him physco babble over and over again 

Dame Laura Davies  best on sky 

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Re: Solheim Cup Coverage

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Disgruntled+3D Yes, it's not very good is it (I'm watching it now).  There have been a couple of other threads on the subject and none have been complimentary. 

As you say I hope the Ryder cup coverage is better.

------------------------------------------
If my post has solved your issue please mark as an "Answer"
If it has helped please give it a "Like"
Disgruntled+3D
Topic Author
This message was authored by Disgruntled+3D This message was authored by: Disgruntled+3D

Well summed 👍🏻
I also have issues with Sky Glass "Playlist" losses the last hour if there is a rain delay! 
And, regarding other comment, Paul McGinley has set himself up as some sort of phsycological guru, and just repeats the same stuff week in week out. Yes, he was a good player and was a captain, but he needs to go back in his box.

This message was authored by Fothergill1 This message was authored by: Fothergill1

Without giving the result away that was more exciting than I expected it to be 😀.  Lets hope the coverage of the Ryder Cup is better but just as exciting.

The continued chanting of USA USA was getting on my nerves.  I don't mind then doing it as it helps with the excitement and atmosphere but to do it whilst the European competitors are taking their shots and putts is disgraceful (but unfortunately it has become normal).

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@Maxstoke wrote:

Awful sky coverage of solheim cup - production staff don't seem to know what's going on.

commentary awful- Paul McGinley repeating him physco babble over and over again 

Dame Laura Davies  best on sky 

To be fair, I don't think Sky are in charge of all the pictures (apart from their own interviews etc.). It's down to the host broadcaster whoever they were.

(unless I'm wrong and Sky were in charge of the world feed)

P.s. McGinley has to be better than nick Dougherty 🙂

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
Disgruntled+3D
Topic Author

I do have a little experience with this and believe that as Sky have the rights, they are in control of the camera's which of course may be sub contractors.

I am also still a little bemused as to why they had no one on the ground following the matches?!

If they were using this as a trial run for the Ryder Cup I am a little concerned.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Disgruntled+3D wrote:

I do have a little experience with this and believe that as Sky have the rights, they are in control of the camera's which of course may be sub contractors.

I am also still a little bemused as to why they had no one on the ground following the matches?!

If they were using this as a trial run for the Ryder Cup I am a little concerned.

On all 3 days they had Iona Stephen & Inci Mehmet on the course with groups - although of course on the last day in particular they can't be with all the groups so probably not as apparent

This message was authored by Littleart This message was authored by: Littleart

Continuously poor and inaccurate commentary. Times when players we incorrectly identified.

What a televisual shambles! Continuously poor and inaccurate commentary. Times when players were incorrectly identified. Incorrect information about the state of the matches. Patronising comments from the studio presenters regarding European players having to play all 5 matches. It was amateur and in stark contrast to what we have become to expect from Ewan Murray, Radar et all on regular Sky golf.

Producers should be made to sit through it, just as we have and be ashamed.

Littleart - golf fanatic

I think sky do have totally control, cameras, production staff etc..

I think the person in production room who controls all the cameras is to blame mostly.

I have watched most Ryder Cups and Solheim Cups, all as I remember have been a very high standard, you knew where you were in the competition at all times, the graphics told you  the correct information.

I never once saw a caption showing " two puts to win the whole " and I can assure you that situation happened a lot. This information is vital, and who introduced tie or tied it used to be halve ????

Dame Laura is without doubt the best on sky, very knowledgeable and extremely funny, and she doesn't repeat herself or drone on about the mental side of the game.

I hope Butch Harmon is there with Ewen this year. 

This message was authored by Thomasdad This message was authored by: Thomasdad

Very disappointed with coverage of the Solheim Cup.

- No (or very little) shot tracking/tracing.

- on screen information placards lacking information such as; hole length, opponent names, shot length. Sometimes no information at all. 
The latter particularly important for the highlights show where coverage jumps around all over the place.

Commentators generally very good except Mr. McGinley.

Dame Laura is a star.

Sig

@Thomasdad I agree the coverage was pretty poor.  Let's hope the Rydcer Cup is better 🤞😀

This message was authored by Super+Anthony This message was authored by: Super+Anthony

I thought the opening ceremony was disgraceful 

Amateurish 

No one there

used the wrong location

Clothing for the Europeans awful

Players looked unhappy

i didn't think the commentary was too bad though. Far better to what you hear from the Americans on their coverage

I agree what the hell were the European team wearing, looked like a disposable dressing gown.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion