Discussion topic: Silicon Valley gone!

This message was authored by LGUser This message was authored by: LGUser

Re: Silicon Valley gone!

@lettice wrote:

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

@caesarome 

I know we don't have a multiscreen sub, I can use Sky Go and it doesn't show the expiry date (or any programs that are downloaded on the main Sky Q box) 

I very rarely use Sky Go though.

We have been here before with this one.
Sky Go shows some expiry dates but not all, so its not a reliable lookup tool.

The best ploy is to use the Sky+ app or download and do a quick binge watch. 

Another reliable source if you have access to it is Sky Now TV, it shows all the expiry dates.

Those are the expiration dates of content once you've downloaded. They are not the On Demand expiration dates. You still need the Sky+ app to get the On Demand expiration dates.

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

As  you don't use Mac OS, you have needed to rely on another users set-up and subscriptions then generalised it to make it fit. 
As a Mac OS user myself, I can confirm the expiry dates don't show for me (outside the 30 days) without a multscreen sub. Right here in this thread, there is another user mentioning the very same. 

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

As  you don't use Mac OS, you have needed to rely on another users set-up and subscriptions then generalised it to make it fit. 
As a Mac OS user myself, I can confirm the expiry dates don't show for me (outside the 30 days) without a multscreen sub. Right here in this thread, there is another user mentioning the very same. 

With a multiscreen sub, you get Sky Go Extra. Isn't that the same as having Sky Go Extra from VIP rewards?

This message was authored by Skull+Treaty This message was authored by: Skull+Treaty

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Nope. 
Sky Go Extra comes with Mutlitscreen, Multiscreen doesn't come with Sky Go Extra (at least not if you have Extra as part of being VIP)

"Sometimes, the only choices you have are bad ones, but you still have to choose"
This message was authored by fizzdisco This message was authored by: fizzdisco

@Skull+Treaty wrote:

Nope. 
Sky Go Extra comes with Mutlitscreen, Multiscreen doesn't come with Sky Go Extra (at least not if you have Extra as part of being VIP)

Correct.

Sky Go Extra (as a VIP reward) does not allow you to view any content that is recorded or downloaded on your Q box. You can stream and download content to your mobile device but have no access to the content on your box. Streaming recordings/downloads direct from the Q box requires a multiscreen subscription. 

This message was authored by MantisToboggan This message was authored by: MantisToboggan

Finally, I've found someone else with the same issue! I tried asking someone from Sky about this on Twitter, but their main page bio doesn't even link to a help account - I had to Google that, as well. Their response about Silicon Valley being removed was "Please DM us." Useful.

I've been watching this show for over a week after stumbling across it on the Sky Q box home page - never once have I seen any notification anywhere that they were about to delete the whole thing from their system in the middle of February. Either I completely missed that warning, many many times, or Sky needs to improve how it tells people this. The only thing that Googling the answer yielded was this help forum thread from another irritated customer - why is this info not more readily available? If I want to see what's coming and going from Amazon Prime/Netflix/Disney+ etc etc etc it's very easy.

Emma+Naylor
Topic Author
This message was authored by Emma+Naylor This message was authored by: Emma+Naylor

Someone who feels my pain!

I'm glad it wasn't just me missing an obvious notification. When the first comments started coming in I thought I must have missed something. But I was pretty sure there was no notification.

Seriously considering buying the boxset on eBay, but it's not cheap.

@MantisToboggan wrote:

Finally, I've found someone else with the same issue! I tried asking someone from Sky about this on Twitter, but their main page bio doesn't even link to a help account - I had to Google that, as well. Their response about Silicon Valley being removed was "Please DM us." Useful.

I've been watching this show for over a week after stumbling across it on the Sky Q box home page - never once have I seen any notification anywhere that they were about to delete the whole thing from their system in the middle of February. Either I completely missed that warning, many many times, or Sky needs to improve how it tells people this. The only thing that Googling the answer yielded was this help forum thread from another irritated customer - why is this info not more readily available? If I want to see what's coming and going from Amazon Prime/Netflix/Disney+ etc etc etc it's very easy.

If it was 30 days or less since you started watching Sillion Valley, then you should have seen the expiration date before you downloaded it.

@Emma+Naylor wrote:

Someone who feels my pain!

I'm glad it wasn't just me missing an obvious notification. When the first comments started coming in I thought I must have missed something. But I was pretty sure there was no notification.

Seriously considering buying the boxset on eBay, but it's not cheap.

I cannot say if or when it will be back, but I do know it's been on before and gone and then come back. So maybe wait and see

This message was authored by Jaques This message was authored by: Jaques

It all seems to be there, on SkyQ at least, only up to S6 E3! Why leave all episodes available except for the last couple of episodes?, makes no sense.

@Jaques wrote:

It all seems to be there, on SkyQ at least, only up to S6 E3! Why leave all episodes available except for the last couple of episodes?, makes no sense.

Just to let everyone know, Silicon Vally is no longer available as it has expired.

Madness,  utter madness. 

@Jaques wrote:

Madness,  utter madness. 

Not really. It's just all part of how production companies make money. 

Sell the broadcast/streaming rights for a series to a broadcaster, in this case HBO to Sky. Sky have those rights for a pre-determined period of time during which they can broadcast/stream the episodes and/or make them available to customers to download On Demand. 

When that period of time expires, the rights revert back to HBO. They can negotiate a new term or sell the rights to a different broadcaster. 

In the meantime, HBO also make the series available to purchase independently of a broadcaster, so a customer can bypass all broadcast/streaming rights issues and own a copy of the series to watch whenever they wish.  

In the case of Silicon Valley, all seasons are available to purchase from Sky Store, Prime Video, iTunes and other streaming services. You can even get it on DVD & Blu-Ray if physical media is your bag. 

TV production is just a business like any other, out to make money. 

Hi, I get that but why is it licenced up to S6 E3, as that's what available to me now?  

@Jaques wrote:

Hi, I get that but why is it licenced up to S6 E3, as that's what available to me now?  

I have none of the series available to me on Sky Q now.

Have you previously recorded  episodes up to S6 E3? Recordings of a transmission will remain viewable on your box, but downloads from On Demand won't be.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion