Discussion topic: SD Changes

This message was authored by ashleym82 This message was authored by: ashleym82

SD Changes

With removal of SD channels.

Once all SD channels removed, this will free up the 800 channel section.

I think BBC & ITV Regions should use this EPG channel section. Also other Regional channels such as Local TV etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

All Replies

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Re: SD Changes

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

So if I understand correctly:

You are suggesting that SD Channels are removed, then the all the various itv and bbc regions channels be numbered 800+?

------

It is really a decision for itv and bbc if they want each of their regions on the epg

Honestly with bbc 1 having 18 different regions (I might have miscounted), I think it might not be too much 

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@ashleym82 wrote:

I think BBC & ITV Regions should use this EPG channel section. Also other Regional channels such as Local TV etc.

Te BBC regions are already in he EPG although further down.

I think it is a concious decision not have multiple ITV regions listed due to the advertising which may be different and targetted at specific regions.

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@ashleym82 wrote:

Pointless exercise and in any case, not all SD channels are being removed. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@ashleym82 wrote:

I think the 800 range could be used to re-map to an app. I don't know if this is possible on Sky Q boxes, but it's an idea. Let's also assume that the new "Where's Santa?" app is on channel 800. 

When a user presses 800 or says "channel 800" into the remote, it redirects to the "Where's Santa?" app instead. The EPG could just show "Where's Santa?".

I think that would be a good idea. 

Realistically, I suspect that the 800s will have whatever remaining Radio channels are left removed from a 4 digit number 01xx to 8xx. Currently there's 54 radio stations but with Bauer removing their stations (in favour of apps) on 12 December, that will bring the Radio section down to 44 channels.

I do wish originally with the EPG change in 2018, that the SD/HD version that are currently in the 800s be put in the 0xxx numbers. So 101 and 0101 would be BBC One/RTÉ One, etc. Sky Showcase 106/0106. Sky News 501/0501. Would have been easier at the beginning. Hindsight and all. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@ZyloKai wrote:

I think the 800 range could be used to re-map to an app. I don't know if this is possible on Sky Q boxes, but it's an idea. Let's also assume that the new "Where's Santa?" app is on channel 800. 

When a user presses 800 or says "channel 800" into the remote, it redirects to the "Where's Santa?" app instead. The EPG could just show "Where's Santa?".

That's almost certainly not technically possible, and anyway broadcast EPGs are subject to strict external regulation and cannot be messed with at the whim of the platform provider for their own benefit.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by ZyloKai This message was authored by: ZyloKai

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@ZyloKai wrote:

That's almost certainly not technically possible, and anyway broadcast EPGs are subject to strict external regulation and cannot be messed with at the whim of the platform provider for their own benefit.

Well done Timmy for repeating what I said.
"I don't know if this is possible on Sky Q boxes, but it's an idea".

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Going to be honest as the initial post says what are my thoughts on the suggestion

i really don't care to be honest. The EPG number a channel has makes no diffference to me and hasn't caused me any issues or stress at any time.

"it if ain't broke don't fix it"

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@MarkGoldsmith wrote:

Going to be honest as the initial post says what are my thoughts on the suggestion

i really don't care to be honest. The EPG number a channel has makes no diffference to me and hasn't caused me any issues or stress at any time.

Nor I. I don't get the fascination with channel numbers and where they sit in the TV Guide.

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

If it was up to me just for fun I would have

3, ITV

33, ITV 2

333 ITV3

3333 ITV4

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by Darshan This message was authored by: Darshan

Re: SD Changes.

So once again we're told what choices we have over being free to choose.

SD is great for recording a series of a show you like & you can watch it back as a binge watch.

Are these channels going to disappear like the BBC SD channels & then what as the BBC already has each region in the HD format. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Darshan wrote:

Are these channels going to disappear like the BBC SD channels & then what as the BBC already has each region in the HD format. 

Time will tell....

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Darshan wrote:

Are these channels going to disappear like the BBC SD channels 

Duplicating satellite broadcast in both HD and SD is an expense which channels would prefer not to incur: they pay the orbiting infrastructure owners (not Sky) for the satellite capacity required to do so.  Given Recording is a perk for viewers rather than a right, it's not likely to be a factor which overrides operational cost, particularly in a market being challenged by falling advertising income, fragmenting audiences and reduced public financing.

Longer term, it's quite possible that there will be no satellite broadcasting at all past the end of this decade anyway: it's a 1990s technology which requires periodic massive investment to maintain, and in the streaming era there's no guarantee that anyone will think this is now worthwhile.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion