Discussion topic: Repeated series week after week, this is getting boring!

This message was authored by sammyeuroka This message was authored by: sammyeuroka

Repeated series week after week, this is getting boring!

Repeated series week after week, this is getting boring! Sky max and showcase particularly.  Have you NOTHING new ??? No wonder people are watching things on subscription channels and internet. Sky have been on UK tv  since 1989 but over the past few years it had turned into the BBC  Repeat after repeat. It appears the same programmes are on a loop! Maybe you have a problem!😭

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: Repeated series week after week, this is getting boring!

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

I'd suggest making your views known to Sky's Viewer Relations team. Sky may not see your post here. You can email them at viewerr@sky.uk

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

I'd suggest making your views known to Sky's Viewer Relations team. Sky may not see your post here. You can email them at viewerr@sky.uk

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@sammyeuroka wrote:

Repeated series week after week, this is getting boring! Sky max and showcase particularly.  Have you NOTHING new ??? No wonder people are watching things on subscription channels and internet. Sky have been on UK tv  since 1989 but over the past few years it had turned into the BBC  Repeat after repeat. It appears the same programmes are on a loop! Maybe you have a problem!😭

Don't forgot there was a strike in the USA for several months last year which has meant practically no new content was created in the US. Channels that generally rely on US shows have thus been forced into showing repeats due to a lack of new available content.

This is starting to change now with a number of US shows returning to TV with new episodes over the past 6 weeks, so you would likely expect to see more new content reach UK broadcasts over the next couple of months.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Which series in particular or is it just in general?

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

1. @MarkGoldsmith wrote:

@sammyeuroka wrote:

Don't forgot there was a strike in the USA for several months last year which has meant practically no new content was created in the US. Channels that generally rely on US shows have thus been forced into showing repeats due to a lack of new available content.

This is starting to change now with a number of US shows returning to TV with new episodes over the past 6 weeks, so you would likely expect to see more new content reach UK broadcasts over the next couple of months.

Only 1 is due to air on Sky Max specifically though 

https://www.skymedia.co.uk/best-of-the-us/

The future direction of Sky Max probably going to be Peacock Originals and other event comedy or drama Original or acquired

Sky Showcase is different though since they simulcast other channels, Including Sky Atlantic now for some reason.....

This message was authored by Mr+Ripley This message was authored by: Mr+Ripley

The OP isn't wrong & it has nothing to do with the writer's strike, also, it isn't only Sky channels. I scroll through the Sky online EPG every day to check for new programmes. I've been doing this for many years & for the most part, it's like Groundhog Day. So many channels show the same stuff over & over. When I go onto the EPG on my laptop it shows me what's on right now for nine channels, from BBC1 through to Comedy Central. I then click on what day I want to look at, the last day on the list, as in six days from now, & the page still looks the same, practically all the same programmes are listed. It would be like that if I scrolled down the EPG for a further nine channels & repeated the process. It's lazy scheduling & it includes homegrown programmes, so like I said, don't blame the writer's strike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I didn't get where I am today by writing ridiculous signatures.
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@Mr+Ripley wrote:

The OP isn't wrong & it has nothing to do with the writer's strike, also, it isn't only Sky channels. I scroll through the Sky online EPG every day to check for new programmes. I've been doing this for many years & for the most part, it's like Groundhog Day. So many channels show the same stuff over & over. When I go onto the EPG on my laptop it shows me what's on right now for nine channels, from BBC1 through to Comedy Central. I then click on what day I want to look at, the last day on the list, as in six days from now, & the page still looks the same, practically all the same programmes are listed. It would be like that if I scrolled down the EPG for a further nine channels & repeated the process. It's lazy scheduling & it includes homegrown programmes, so like I said, don't blame the writer's strike.

So the OP specifically mentioned Sky channels like Max and Showcase, for which the majority of content is usually US shows.

in terms of the generic comment for all channels I'm wouldn't expect any different. The days of traditional linear TV are dying and being replaced by streaming. Quite a number of "new" shows are going straight to streaming services like Disney + and Paramount + and bypassing the traditional linear broadcasters. This will only likely continue once HBO launch Max within the UK.

At some point in the future "older" streaming first seasons may be licensed out to whatever channels remain but fundamentally the industry as changed and is going streaming-first content.

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sammyeuroka 

Apart possibly for HBO, the vast majority of new premium content creation is now commissioned directly by and so is exclusive to the big streaming companies simply because they have global scale distribution and the income which derives from that.  Sky is a small regional company, even with Comcast as a parent corporation 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Timelord2018 This message was authored by: Timelord2018

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@sammyeuroka 

Apart possibly for HBO, the vast majority of new premium content creation is now commissioned directly by and so is exclusive to the big streaming companies simply because they have global scale distribution and the income which derives from that.  Sky is a small regional company, even with Comcast as a parent corporation 

This suggests they will be global streaming team based  at Osterley

We are currently building a Global Streaming Product team, who will steer our core global product to service the business needs of each proposition (Peacock, NOW, Sky Showtime and Showmax). As we move to a new era for our platform we seek to bring consistency in our customer’s service & compliance journeys, so that our Product team is able to execute standardised, repeatable integrations to reduce time to market and deliver support faster to our customers.

https://broadcastjobs.com/job/8165/head-of-digital-service-global-streaming/

This message was authored by redsky88 This message was authored by: redsky88

The biggest disappointment for me is Sky's orginals have been very poor lately imo. For all the hype around new Studios and investment they've very little to show for it. 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Timelord2018 

Makes sense if satellite television from Astra 28.2 is coming to an end: Osterley Park is some seriously expensive real-estate and thousands of staff.  Relocating Peacock (US) might be a challenge though, but I guess that must be a relatively new bit of NBCU and so less well entrenched over there.

@redsky88 

I do wonder if they have a budget and production location issue (for concepts, scripts and talent) compared to the big streamers.  Borehamwood isn't exactly L.A. even through seriously dark glasses...

@Timelord2018 

Just noticed 'Head of Digital Service - Global Streaming' is being offered "Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place" as part of the incentive package....

They probably should have edited the boilerplate text for that particular position.

@redsky88 wrote:

The biggest disappointment for me is Sky's orginals have been very poor lately imo. For all the hype around new Studios and investment they've very little to show for it. 

The big Sky Studios complex in borehamwood only fully completed construction last March.

I believe towards the end of this year we will start to see productions that have been filmed their be released.

i seem to recall reading somewhere that the film version of the musical wicked was the first production to start filming at the studios and that is due to be released later this year.

They will also be filming the new Jurassic world movie there as well.

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion