Discussion topic: Nomenclature used in cricket commentary.

This message was authored by Trifle2023 This message was authored by: Trifle2023

Nomenclature used in cricket commentary.

I have two issues with the cricket commentary:

1. The use of the word "batter" to describe the player holding the willow is, IMHO, an embarrassment. Try searching for batter and you'll get lots of recipes for pancakes and Yorkshire pudding but no mention of a cricket player. This is obviously driven by the crazy woke brigade but it is totally and utterly wrong. So much so I turn the sound off so I don't have to listen to "batter" all day and on top of that Labushane (see 2 below) as well.

2. While we’re waiting for the ashes to start let’s start by getting the pronunciation for Labuschagne right, it definitely doesn’t end in ‘shane’. The Aussies are too idle to get it right as are the majority of the BBC & Sky so here it is correctly: “Lab-u-scagh-nay”. Atherton and company, please pronounce it properly or don't mention it at all, please tell your friends and colleagues.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

Re: Nomenclature used in cricket commentary.

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Trifle2023 
You may or may not be aware that we’re mainly customers here and you aren’t addressing Sky, nor will they automatically contact you as a result of your post. Perhaps you'd be better explaining your thoughts to the Viewer Relations Team via email at viewerR@sky.uk

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210 Answer

@Trifle2023 
You may or may not be aware that we’re mainly customers here and you aren’t addressing Sky, nor will they automatically contact you as a result of your post. Perhaps you'd be better explaining your thoughts to the Viewer Relations Team via email at viewerR@sky.uk

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
Trifle2023
Topic Author
This message was authored by Trifle2023 This message was authored by: Trifle2023

Thank you I'll go there.

I do find navigation of this site a bit complicated, I'm more used to proper bulletin boards.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Trifle2023 wrote:

This is obviously driven by the crazy woke brigade but it is totally and utterly wrong. 

'Batter' has of course been used as standard baseball terminology for at least 150 years, and long before then in Rounders from which baseball is derived.  'Batsman' as normative in cricket reflects a particular history of bias in permitted sports participation: it's about as inherently correct as still referring to 'fireman' or 'policeman'.

I'm not sure 'batsperson' would be an improvement.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@TimmyBGood wrote:

@Trifle2023 wrote:

This is obviously driven by the crazy woke brigade but it is totally and utterly wrong. 

'Batter' has of course been used as standard baseball terminology for at least 150 years, and long before then in Rounders from which baseball is derived.  'Batsman' as normative in cricket reflects a particular history of bias in permitted sports participation: it's about as inherently correct as still referring to 'fireman' or 'policeman'.

I'm not sure 'batsperson' would be an improvement.

If its a men's cricket match then they ARE batsmen so a commentator saying that, in my opinion, is not an issue, just like for a women's cricket match you would say batswoman as a commentator..

Or is this not acceptable in today's world of easily upset people..

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by Richardr1 This message was authored by: Richardr1

Batter is now the official term per the laws of the game. The MCC changed the laws a couple of years ago. Anybody wishing to change the term will need to persuade the MMC.

Sky Q 2TB box and one Minibox
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Richardr1 

Ah, indeed they did:

"MCC believes in cricket being a game for all and this move recognises the changing landscape of the game in modern times.

“Use of the term “batter” is a natural evolution in our shared cricketing language and the terminology has already been adopted by many of those involved in the sport. It is the right time for this adjustment to be recognised formally and we are delighted, as the Guardians of the Laws, to announce these changes today.”

https://www.lords.org/lords/news-stories/mcc-to-use-the-term-batters-throughout-the-laws-of-cricket 

@Richardr1 wrote:

Anybody wishing to change the term will need to persuade the MMC.

That notorious hangout of the 'crazy woke brigade' ; )

This message was authored by Mock+King+Jay This message was authored by: Mock+King+Jay

1. Batter is the term used in the Laws of Cricket. We used to say 'filedsman,' but that fell out of use.

Batter. Bowler. Fielder. Totally logical and consistent.

2. He says it's 'Labu-shane.'

The problem is that many Afrikaaner pronounciations are themselves 'wrong:'

Du Toit as 'du toy,' not 'du twa.'

And there was the SA born prop forward Peter De Villiers, who was 'de villierz' in SA, but became 'de villi-ay' when he moved to France.

See also Monty Panesar, whose name is traditionally Pan-AI-ser, not PAN-es-ar.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion