Discussion topic: No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Full details here

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/13019562/sky-sports-to-show-215-premier-league-games-a...

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Sky has secured four of the five packages on sale, meaning a minimum of 215 live matches, including all 10 fixtures on the final day of the season. TNT will screen 52 matches, while Match of the Day will continue after the BBC bought the rights to a weekly highlights package.

And no Amazon...

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by rscott This message was authored by: rscott

@TimmyBGood wrote:

Sky has secured four of the five packages on sale, meaning a minimum of 215 live matches, including all 10 fixtures on the final day of the season. TNT will screen 52 matches, while Match of the Day will continue after the BBC bought the rights to a weekly highlights package.

And no Amazon...

No Bein, Premier Sports, AppleTV+ or anyone else either... Despite the many rumours elsewhere they were going to swoop in and steal everything away.

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@rscott wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

And no Amazon...

No Bein, Premier Sports, AppleTV+ or anyone else either... Despite the many rumours elsewhere they were going to swoop in and steal everything away.

That is what I was thinking too

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

@rscott wrote:

@TimmyBGood wrote:

And no Amazon...

I saw one report last week that said DAZN "expected" to get one package. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by sonicdawg This message was authored by: sonicdawg

Wether or not he/she had these matches i certainly remeber wgen i watched Champions leavue gootball in Sky and was heartily dismayed when they so easily gave it up. I sincerley hope that they will attempt to win it back as i lovevthe coverage and inagibe they could offer it a darn site cheaper than their current comperitors. Come on Sky!!

"A little bit of money". Are you serious?!!

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

The champions league rights are very pricey. With the amount of money Sky has spent on the new PL TV rights I'd be surprised if they can outbid TNT sports for Champions League again (or perhaps other broadcasters who may want to take a punt at it).

The UEFA competitions are the crowd jewels of TNTs football coverage.

@RobWallace wrote:

I'm a Sky diamond member and I started my current contract with Saturday lunchtime and Champions league football coverage. Mid way through my contract Sky have lost these 2 options to TNT. I am paying £80 a month, how can Sky not communicate to me mid term of these losses to TNT and offer a reduction of my monthly subscription to recompense. I can no longer watch my team at lunchtimes or in the champions league on Sky sports.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

The current deal for bt/tnt for the champions league was £1.2 billion for 3 years. (400million per year)

The cost for the next cycle from 2024-2027 to tnt is thought around 917million pound for 3 years (with other rights going yo bbc and amazon making a total estimate to 1.5billion or 500millon per season)

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

The question is why wouldn't it benefit Sky to bud fo this and is it now a foregone conclusion that BT already have the rights? Does this not undergo a procedure that allows all parties to bid ie:a bidding war, or are there basically no other parties now interested?

You've touched on the increase in my arches but these are not high profile games, these I would contend are a lot of lower league games that don't generate any where near the kind of revenue of the bigger games ie champions league?

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@RobWallace wrote:

I'm a Sky diamond member and I started my current contract with Saturday lunchtime and Champions league football coverage. Mid way through my contract Sky have lost these 2 options to TNT. I am paying £80 a month, how can Sky not communicate to me mid term of these losses to TNT and offer a reduction of my monthly subscription to recompense. I can no longer watch my team at lunchtimes or in the champions league on Sky sports.

There is always a bidding process, that's how these sports rights are sold. 

Each competition is split into various packs and bidders will bid for a pack they want. Obviously some packs are worth more money and cost more.

As mentioned in the previous post the new Tv rights kick in next season and last for another 3 years. 

The price of both the UEFA rights and PL rights are very expensive and it's really unlikely one Tv broadcaster can afford the majority of packages for both. If Sky were to spend in the regions of £3-4bn to have the majority of PL TV packages and the UEFA competitions I'm fairly sure no one would be happy with the massive rise they would end up having to put onto Sky Sports to pay for it. It would also likely mean Sky having to drop rights from other sports due to their budgets which could affect the customer base and not everyone subscribes to Sky Sports for the football.

NOT a Sky Employee

Understandable, Do you have access to the costs that were involved when Sky did own the rights to all 3? I'd be interested to know if the increase is as substantial as you mention it is now?

@sonicdawg wrote:

You've touched on the increase in my arches but these are not high profile games, these I would contend are a lot of lower league games that don't generate any where near the kind of revenue of the bigger games ie champions league?

Umm Sky  have the majoirty of the high profile PL games. In fact their new PL TV deal has Sky showing the highest number of games that they ever have.

They also have that new EFL deal kicking in next year I believe and that usually gets a lot of attraction to football fans towards this time of the year as the race for promotion and the playoffs really kicks in.

Skys model clearly is focused more on domestic football than uefa competitions. I would think the PL offers better value for money as that provides content virtually weekly between August and May whereas the European contests are midweeks games over what maybe 14-15 weeks throughout a season. Don't forget the majority of European games are played simultaneously so you can only watch one game at a time, the PL tend to reduce times when games are played simultaneously which allows fans to be able to watch multiple games.

NOT a Sky Employee

@sonicdawg wrote:

Understandable, Do you have access to the costs that were involved when Sky did own the rights to all 3? I'd be interested to know if the increase is as substantial as you mention it is now?

Well Sky shared with with ITV back in the day. Must be well over a decade since BT Sports took the rights. 

The last Sky/ITV tv deal only got UEFA £400m over the 3 years. 

Sports rights have skyrocketed in the last decade though as it's really the only part of TV that people will watch live, so whilst ad revenue is falling the largest ad rates available can still be got for live sports as people obviously can't skip or fast forward when watching live.

NOT a Sky Employee

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion