Discussion topic: No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

Re: No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@sonicdawg wrote:

Understandable, Do you have access to the costs that were involved when Sky did own the rights to all 3? I'd be interested to know if the increase is as substantial as you mention it is now?

Per the guardian, Sky and itv shared a deal worth 400 million pound. The independent divided this as Sky paying 80m per season and itv 55m per season (so 405m altogether)

When bt sports acquired rights in 2014 for 2015, they paid 299 million per season for the champions league  (per the guardian)

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by sonicdawg This message was authored by: sonicdawg

You are an absolute goldmine of information. I do still yearn for Sky to monopolize football coverage across the board and although I don't really agree with it, in this instance I'd really rather see it all in one place. Far easier to pay one fee and be done but in our competitive society I will probably never see it again. Thanks for all the info. Very enlightening. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

@sonicdawg wrote:

You are an absolute goldmine of information. I do still yearn for Sky to monopolize football coverage across the board and although I don't really agree with it, in this instance I'd really rather see it all in one place. Far easier to pay one fee and be done but in our competitive society I will probably never see it again. Thanks for all the info. Very enlightening. 

Indeed it would be nice to only have to subscribe to one sports platform if you were a fan of one sport but those days are pretty much numbered.

Football isn't the only sport that is treated like this. Crickets fans have the same issue with Sky primarily deciding to focus on the short form ODI and T20 competitions now and spending their cricket budget on that with the longer form test matches tending to be on TNT now.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

This message was authored by sonicdawg This message was authored by: sonicdawg

Very true, I'm so surprised at the resurgence in cricket tbh It has taken on a whole new persona and I think that is in part to the earlier coverage it was getting on sky and bbc at one time, the ad campaign for it by sky was huge and relentless and one of the few that gas presumably paid dividends now. 
WSL gas also taken off in much the same way. Phenomenal advertising and relentless exposure seems to work in the long run with both these sports   
cricjet is huge in countries now developing fast so I can understand the need to 'get it out there' and make available to a new era of sports fans willing to subscribe 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@sonicdawg wrote:

Far easier to pay one fee and be done

Ironically it's the perception of 'fairness' brought in by having split packages and a competitive bidding process which encourages rights owners to go down that route, despite it driving up the price paid by consumers.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion