Discussion topic: No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

This message was authored by RobWallace This message was authored by: RobWallace

No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

I'm a Sky diamond member and I started my current contract with Saturday lunchtime and Champions league football coverage. Mid way through my contract Sky have lost these 2 options to TNT. I am paying £80 a month, how can Sky not communicate to me mid term of these losses to TNT and offer a reduction of my monthly subscription to recompense. I can no longer watch my team at lunchtimes or in the champions league on Sky sports.

All Replies

This message was authored by oj01 This message was authored by: oj01

Re: No more Sat lunchtime or Champions league football?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@RobWallace wrote:

I'm a Sky diamond member and I started my current contract with Saturday lunchtime and Champions league football coverage. Mid way through my contract Sky have lost these 2 options to TNT. I am paying £80 a month, how can Sky not communicate to me mid term of these losses to TNT and offer a reduction of my monthly subscription to recompense. I can no longer watch my team at lunchtimes or in the champions league on Sky sports.

BT/TNT have had Champions League football and the Saturday lunchtime slot for a few seasons now, so that hasn't happened during your current contract. 

In any case, you contracted to watch 8 (or however many there are) Sky Sports channels, not specific content that might or might not be on those channels. Sky are still providing you with those channels. 

Sky Community Forum SuperUser
Former Sky+HD Beta Tester
Sky Signature, Sky Sports, Sky HD, Sky Mobile
Member Of The Community Since 2011
Staying on Sky+HD
RobWallace
Topic Author
This message was authored by RobWallace This message was authored by: RobWallace

Many thanks for correcting me. Still doesn't get over the fact that I'm being expected to pay more and more away from sky if I want to watch top flight football and pay more and more for additional viewing like Disney, Atlantic, paramount blah blah blah!!! How can I justify £80 for a basic package??? Sky is losing customers to £10 a month a streaming services. As a diamond member I feel cheated and let down by it all. 

This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

£80 wouldn't be your basic package, for £80 it sounds like you may be getting the basic sky package (could be between £15-25 depending on youe deal) + Sky Sports channels (normally £25-30) and TNT Sports Channels (normally £25-30).

The football broadcast rights have been split for several years with TNT Sports (formally BT sports) having about 1 PL games a week and all the midweek UEFA european competitions, with SKy having the majority of the remaining television PL games ( asside from Amazon who have 2 full matchweeks a year and also have done for the past 4-5 years now).

This is nothing to do with Sky and is how the broadcast rights and packaged and sold, At least Sky are able to resell TNT Sports and offer it as part of your package. The reasons its more expensive is because Sky don't own those channels and a fee has to be paid to TNT Sports per customer that subscribes so Sky is likely only making a small bit of money per TNT sports subscriber they have.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

RobWallace
Topic Author

I get this and understand fully. I would appreciate if this is not thrown at me. If someone is listening out there, it's about value for money and I'm not getting it after 20 years. Most disappointed. There is no defence to convince me otherwise. I'm happy that the rest of the population is happy with Sky.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@RobWallace wrote:

Sky is losing customers to £10 a month a streaming services.

Each of which offers a subset of content and almost all are losing money to do so at that kind of pricing.

Sky is now in its fifth decade, and the 'broadcasting' industry has change immeasurably since it started. 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

According to googling, bt sports (now tnt sports) have had champions league rights since 2015.

On premier league coverage, sky have 128 matches of 200 live matches

Apart from the covid years when people could not attend, each time number of matches have been increases for sky, despite there being more broadcasters.

Number of matches for sky have been:

2001 - 66 matches

2010 - 96 matches

2015 - 116 matches

2023 - 128 matches

---------
ROI sky Q Customer
This message was authored by MarkGoldsmith This message was authored by: MarkGoldsmith

Yeah the days of sub £10/month streaming services I think have gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see this rise to £15-20/month with ads and more premium £30-40/month without ads wothin the next 3 or 4 years. Either that of the platforms will remain the same price but have more content rotation I.e a show is only available for 3 months before it rotates off the platform.

Most of the streaming companies are now realising that there are more costs to run a streaming platform than just the cost of the shows, the more and more shows they add to the platform the higher their storage costs will go and the more customers that use their service the higher some of their underlying networking costs will be.

Sky Stream user. Former Sky+ HD and Sky Broadband customer
Please LIKE any responses you found helpful
Please mark a response as an ANSWER if it has solved your query/issue

NOT a Sky Employee

RobWallace
Topic Author

I'm not interested in 200 years ago but the here and now.

This message was authored by Doc5907 This message was authored by: Doc5907

@RobWallace wrote:

I'm not interested in 200 years ago but the here and now.

Your argument about champions league football not on sky sports is like saying I no longer want to pay the licence fee because BBC no longer show live test cricket and F1.. 🙄

....................................................................................................................
Sky Q 1TB UHD
LG TV
Sky Mobile
BT Broadband
This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

@RobWallace  If you feel Sky is not value for money, cancel, or negotiate a new deal, find another provider with the samme channels and content.

Complaining to other customers won't change the fact that this is the current state of the broadcasting and streaming arena.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

@nolte wrote:

According to googling, bt sports (now tnt sports) have had champions league rights since 2015.

On premier league coverage, sky have 128 matches of 200 live matches

Apart from the covid years when people could not attend, each time number of matches have been increases for sky, despite there being more broadcasters.

2001 - 66 matches

2010 - 96 matches

2015 - 116 matches

2023 - 128 matches

@RobWallace Which is the point made here. Sky now show far more PL games than they ever have. So there's more chance of your team being on Sky than ever before. .

Staying on Sky+HD
This message was authored by d2h This message was authored by: d2h

@nolte wrote:

each time number of matches have been increases for sky, despite there being more broadcasters.

2001 - 66 matches

2010 - 96 matches

2015 - 116 matches

2023 - 128 matches

@nolte Unsure where you got your numbers from but for completeness, two are incorrect. It's also incorrect that each Sky deal has seen an increase in matches as they lost matches during the Setanta period. From 2010, when they won 115 matches per season, numbers have increased deal on deal. 

This message was authored by nolte This message was authored by: nolte

@d2h wrote:

@nolte wrote:

each time number of matches have been increases for sky, despite there being more broadcasters.

2001 - 66 matches

2010 - 96 matches

2015 - 116 matches

2023 - 128 matches

@nolte Unsure where you got your numbers from but for completeness, two are incorrect. It's also incorrect that each Sky deal has seen an increase in matches as they lost matches during the Setanta period. From 2010, when they won 115 matches per season, numbers have increased deal on deal. 

The list is per https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Premier_League_broadcasters

As per the note, 2001 - 2007 total include 40-50 games as part of PremPlus Pay per View rather than Sky Sports itself

---------
ROI sky Q Customer

And just announced, from 2025 even more Premier League games on Sky Sports. 

Staying on Sky+HD

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion