Discussion topic: Channels accessibility

This message was authored by Yorksss999 This message was authored by: Yorksss999

Channels accessibility

So I've had a sky dish for 30 years, and stopped using it 10 years ago, I've recently purchased a tv and discovered I didn't need a sky box and card to access channels (I just popped the lead in the back of the TV) 

And I discovered I could get several HD channels that weren't on free digital 

Does anyone know how many more channels I could get for free if I got a sky box and card?

As an example I can't yesterday HD  I see a message...

The CI+ module/CA module and smart card are not inserted, there's also a shopping channel icon when I first click the channel (758)

Would that signify that it's not a free channel? 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Channels accessibility

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

You get all the free to air channels via your dish, including a handful of HD free to air channels. 

You can't get a Sky Viewing Card without subscribing.If you did have one without subscription, you would receive the same free to air channels.

This message was authored by nigea99 This message was authored by: nigea99

@Yorksss999 wrote:

So I've had a sky dish for 30 years, and stopped using it 10 years ago, I've recently purchased a tv and discovered I didn't need a sky box and card to access channels (I just popped the lead in the back of the TV) 

And I discovered I could get several HD channels that weren't on free digital 

Does anyone know how many more channels I could get for free if I got a sky box and card?

As an example I can't yesterday HD  I see a message...

The CI+ module/CA module and smart card are not inserted, there's also a shopping channel icon when I first click the channel (758)

Would that signify that it's not a free channel? 

See this page for Freesat Channels - a few you can get in SD for free but their  HD equivalent may only be via sub (e.g. W which went free in SD just over a year ago I think & I think Yesterday may be similar)

https://www.freesat.co.uk/channels

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Yorksss999 

Perhaps worth noting that Freesat is only going to decline in channel numbers as service moves online, and the satellites themselves aren't likely to be operational past the end of this decade.

https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/freesat-shakeup-9-channels-disappear/ 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion