Discussion topic: Appalled at the new Always advert

This message was authored by Amrothsa67 This message was authored by: Amrothsa67

Appalled at the new Always advert

I would like to make my subject known to both the sky community and getting to the advertising management

I know advetisers want to get their products bought by the general public but this new advert from Always is exploiting children. We all know that this subject is embarassing to young girls but to show a child sitting on the toilet with her underwear down and accually showing a spot of blood on the underwear I could not believe my eyes. As far as I am concerned this is just as bad as paedophilia. I cannot believe that parents of these children gave their permission to show their child in this embaressing position. There are all sorts of people watching these adverts good and bad, and they are showing the faces of these children which I believe can be putting them in imminent danger. I would like to hear from all of you who agree and see if something else can be done to remove it all together. Thanks for reading.

Best Answers
This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

Re: Appalled at the new Always advert

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

All Replies

This message was authored by Annie+UK This message was authored by: Annie+UK Answer

This message was authored by Samlind This message was authored by: Samlind

I feel exactly the same way.

Too far!

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Samlind wrote:

I feel exactly the same way.

Too far!

Have you complained to the ASA?

Yes I have wrote and told them.

This message was authored by Anonymous This message was authored by: Anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOoKf7h_iQ0

This is the advert you're complaining about? It's bloody well fantastic! Pun intended. For commenters and replies, watch the entire advert. 

Advert premise:
The advert shows school girls in their teens being stigmatised by both girls and boys for using period products and they are being ridiculed.

An example is when a school girl is walking down the hallway and a pad falls out out her bag, some other school kids look at the school girl with disgust.

Always is trying to say to stop period shaming, which I think it's a fantastic message. 

The final scene before the narrator comes on is a girl sitting on the toilet in a toilet cubicle, having her period. To be more exact, it's assumed she has her underwear down with a blood stain on her underwear. Though we never actually see the girl's underwear around her legs and there is nothing exposed. She seemingly does not know what to do about it and looks very concerned at the camera.

My reply to the original poster:

Seriously? Grow up. I'm going to assume you're a woman, and from your username with "67" in it, I'm going to assume your age is (or recently was) 67 or you were born in 1967 making you roughly 55. But please do correct me if I'm wrong. 

I do not think you understand what paedophilia is from your comment, nor would I ever want to compare a TV advert trying to de-stigmatise period shaming as paedophilia and take away the pain and hurt from those who suffered/are suffering from paedophilia.

From your assumed age, you need to understand that times have changed and that transmen, men and women who have periods should be able to talk about periods and period products freely and this advert from Always is definitely in the right direction.

To be bluntly frank, you're acting like an entitled stereotypical "Karen". If you want to stop the period shaming and embarrassment people have talking about periods, start talking to people about your period, about period products. And one day, hopefully, periods and period products can be talked freely, just like condoms are today.

It's literally people like you @Amrothsa67, who don't understand the importance of adverts like these and because you don't understand it, you focus on the completely wrong thing. 

But I hope that this advert gets a serious about of airtime, so children and teenagers, and adults begin to talk about periods and stop thinking it's a "disgusting" thing that women have. I want kids and parents to be able to communicate about period products the same way they do with condoms.

My sex may be a man and I may be incapable of having periods, but if I can understand the importance of adverts like this and this being one of the first stages of communicating freely about periods and period products, you can understand it too. 

You're wrong here, get over it. 

Objectively,  it doesn't really matter whether viewers approve or disapprove, providing the ad meets ASA requirements.

Either way, viewers remember the product, so from an advertiser's perspective it's pretty much 'job done'.

To be clear.

You do see the girls under wear and the stain.

Nothing is assumed atall.

Maybe they have edited it out now.

But I can assure you it was quite graphic 

You do see it.

The camera points at her sitting with them down.

Then the camera goes to ariel view to see the blood in them.

All but personal parts on show.

You don't see people with a poo marks in the pants advertising toilet wipes?

@Samlind wrote:

To be clear.

You do see the girls under wear and the stain.

Nothing is assumed atall.

Maybe they have edited it out now.

But I can assure you it was quite graphic 

You do see it.

The camera points at her sitting with them down.

Then the camera goes to ariel view to see the blood in them.

All but personal parts on show.

You don't see people with a poo marks in the pants advertising toilet wipes?

Pending a response to your complaint to the ASA, best not to watch it.

This message was authored by Kirsty+S27 This message was authored by: Kirsty+S27

Posted by a Sky employee

Hi all,

The comments of this thread are getting off topic. Period 😄

See Annie's answer here

Thread locked

Kirsty

Community Manager

This discussion has been locked

Sorry, you can't reply to this discussion as it's been locked by our Community Managers.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 5 hours

New Discussion