Discussion topic: Sky VOIP

This message was authored by AM33 This message was authored by: AM33

Sky VOIP

I recently signed up to Sky Broadband and Voice. We have been unable to get the "Voice" working. A customer service agent told me today we require a VOIP-compatible phone, we have tried with two older phones (one is  Panasonic KX-TGB610EB DECT Cordless ). I have read numerous discussions which state a normal phone would work, but the agent said I need a VOIP-specific phone for the service to work. Has anyone else had this issue?

All Replies

This message was authored by GD1 This message was authored by: GD1

Re: Sky VOIP

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@AM33 wrote:

I recently signed up to Sky Broadband and Voice. We have been unable to get the "Voice" working. A customer service agent told me today we require a VOIP-compatible phone, we have tried with two older phones (one is  Panasonic KX-TGB610EB DECT Cordless ). I have read numerous discussions which state a normal phone would work, but the agent said I need a VOIP-specific phone for the service to work. Has anyone else had this issue?

Welcome to the Sky Community:

I'm afraid you've been misinformed (and the adviser needs some training) you dont need a VOIP compatible phone, most modern standard phone will work as long as it's plugged into the back of the hub.

Is there a Voice light on your hub?   ? Is it lit up?

PS I used similar phones on the VM VOIP service.

Like you I'm a customer here, Sky Employees are clearly identified as such.
43" Glass TV & Puck Whole Home
Please note I only provide help on the main forums and not via PM, PM's are switched off.

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@AM33 wrote:

...the agent said I need a VOIP-specific phone for the service to work. Has anyone else had this issue?

Complete nonsense. A VOIP phone won't work.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@AM33 

A 'VOIP phone' is a standalone computing device which attaches to an internet router by WiFi or ethernet cable and uses a separate non-Sky subscription: while a Sky Broadband customer can choose to do this, it's not something which Sky themselves provides or supports.

Sky Talk Internet Calls is technically VOIP but the customer doesn't see anything of that part of the service: it's the Sky Hub which converts the output of a regular analogue phone handset when this is plugged into the BT socket on the rear of the Hub.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
AM33
Topic Author

Thanks @GD1 for the help here! Nope, no light at all, but the broadband is working perfectly well. Have tried resetting numerous times, had the "Voice" cancelled from the contract and added back on (3 times) but nothing seems to be working. 

@AM33 it's very unlikely but it might be worth checking whether or not your phone works when plugged into the normal wall socket (via a microfilter if your master phone socket has only a single telephone port). 

If it doesn't you'll need to pursue it through Sky. If you wish, we can ask the Sky's messaging team to contact you here via a private online chat so that you can do that.

AM33
Topic Author

Thanks @Mark39 we've tried two phones (one brand new) so I'm pretty certain it's not the devices. We've tried everything at this point so we're not sure where to go from here. 

If a member of the Sky support team could reach out that'd be great. 

Ok, I've alerted Sky and a Community adviser may be able to help you via private, online messaging later today. Look out for a blue/red chat 'bubble' towards the bottom of the page and a Private Message inviting you to chat online. Replies from Sky may not be instant, so check back from time to time for updates.

For the detail of how it works see this guide: https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Did-you-know/Escalating-a-post-to-a-Sky-expert/ba-p/3711147

This message was authored by Lisa-P1987 This message was authored by: Lisa-P1987

Posted by a Sky employee

Thanks for escalating this. We’ve sent @AM33  an invite to chat.

Thanks

Lisa - Sky Tech Team Expert
This message was authored by mormegil This message was authored by: mormegil

When was your services activated and did you request to port a telephone number with the order?

if the broadband is active but the VoIP is not is suggests the es&dq (emergency services & directory enquires) listing is not complete

as your post has been raised for a chat they will be able to check if this is the issue you are having

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion