Discussion topic: Second phone line removed after SKY install

This message was authored by MisterCoops This message was authored by: MisterCoops

Second phone line removed after SKY install

I changed from Virgin to Sky last week. Previously the house had 2 phone lines - mine through Virgin, and my Mother's through Shell Energy. After installing Sky, my mother's telephone number has disappeared and now we only have one phone line, mine. We need 2 phones lines in the house. How do we get what we've always had?

Best Answers
This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

Re: Second phone line removed after SKY install

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@MisterCoops 

As @Mark39 indicates, unfortunately that's self-inflicted: you effectively instructed Sky to take over the Shell Energy 'line' as the only visible Openreach provision at the address, because they cannot use Virgin infrastructure at all.  Note that there will be a voice service associated with the Sky Broadband: this is accessed by plugging an analogue handset into the rear of the Sky Broadband Hub, but it will have a new number and be on an expensive PAYG tariff by default.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Unfortunately you have to discount the Virgin line as no provider other than Virgin can use it. That leaves you with one line within the Openreach infrastructure.

As Sky don't install second lines, they will have taken over the existing Shell Energy line. You would need to sign up with another provider to obtain a second line.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood Answer

@MisterCoops 

As @Mark39 indicates, unfortunately that's self-inflicted: you effectively instructed Sky to take over the Shell Energy 'line' as the only visible Openreach provision at the address, because they cannot use Virgin infrastructure at all.  Note that there will be a voice service associated with the Sky Broadband: this is accessed by plugging an analogue handset into the rear of the Sky Broadband Hub, but it will have a new number and be on an expensive PAYG tariff by default.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@MisterCoops 

Note this also means that unless you have proactively cancelled the Virgin services yourself by calling them, those will continue because they aren't part of the Openreach / Ofcom 'switch' system (which is what caught you out in the first place)

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion