Discussion topic: Scam call

This message was authored by Tracey+AB This message was authored by: Tracey+AB

Scam call

I have just received a call on my landline from someone claiming to be from sky advising that there are issues with my broadband connection. I explained that my mobile constantly looses WiFi connection and he put me through to a supervisor. This guy then told me to go to the play store and download an app called team viewer quick. He then asked me to give him the code displayed on screen. I asked him to confirm some personal details of mine so I could verify he was from sky and he insisted he could only do this once I had given him the code and that he could lose his job if he did it before. I refused to give the code and he hung up. The call was from 02038 089 024. I have tried calling sky to report this but have been unable to get through.

All Replies

This message was authored by Highlinder This message was authored by: Highlinder

Re: Scam call

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Tracey+AB  This was a scam call and the number that you sa was spoofed. Sky would never call you out of the blue and also have you download anything in order to check your internet connection.

If someone has helped give them Like.

If you have found this solution helpful please tick this as the answer.
Tracey+AB
Topic Author
This message was authored by Tracey+AB This message was authored by: Tracey+AB

Hi Highlinder

I downloaded the app he told me too from the play store but I refused to gi e him the code. My service is fine and I am able to access the Internet.

This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

Delete what they asked you to install and reboot the device it was installed on. As said above Sky will never call you out of the blue to say there was something wrong with your connection so if you remember that should you receive any more calls just hang up on them. If you have Sky Talk Shield enabled see if you can block the number they used.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
This message was authored by doG1 This message was authored by: doG1

I try and keep these guys on the line just to waste their...

I try and keep these guys on the line just to waste their time. Almost 2hrs is my record. At least they're not scamming others!

It's a sad fact that these Indian calls centres exist and I can't blame Sky. 

These guys are relentless. I'm getting 4 to 5 calls a week. They start with telling you that something is wrong with your internet speed. Even though they tell you what you should be getting and what you are getting, they still insist on you downloading a speed test program that Netflix uses called fast.com. If you're out to waste their time then continue. If not, ask them why I need to test if they already know my speed.

However, If you're not one to put up with abuse and techno babble that means nothing to nobody, simply say this phrase after they have identified themselves, "Another call from Sky. I've been getting a lot of these lately".

Then just wait for the click as they instantly hang up.

Sky will NEVER call you out of the blue.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion