Discussion topic: Phones not working

This message was authored by Jane+and+Mick This message was authored by: Jane+and+Mick

Phones not working

My phones have suddenly stopped working overnight.  They come up with 'line cord error'.  I've been asked to check to see if the phones are plugged into the 'voice' slot in the hub but my hub doesn't have a voice slot.  The phones are plugged into the main socket.

All Replies

Jane+and+Mick
Topic Author
This message was authored by Jane+and+Mick This message was authored by: Jane+and+Mick

Re: Phones not working

I used to know who to ring when I was with BT but I can't seem to find any help from anywhere with Sky.

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@Jane+and+Mick wrote:

I used to know who to ring when I was with BT but I can't seem to find any help from anywhere with Sky.

@Jane+and+Mick 
If you already have a Sky Mobile call free by just dialling 150, otherwise you can use:
https://www.sky.com/help/home
UK: Scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides an 0333 number.
ROI: change the flag in the very bottom right corner of the link to the ROI flag then scroll down and click on ‘Need more help’ and it provides an 0818 number.
(The forum filters don’t allow us to type the digits in full).

As with other large companies the start will be automated but stay on the line and don’t hang up if you’re prompted to. Depending on your particular issue the operating times of the various departments may differ.

▪️I AM NOT A SKY EMPLOYEE ▪️
Sky customer since 2001
with: Sky Q | Sky Superfast Broadband | Sky Talk | Sky Mobile
NOTE: I only provide help on the forums and NOT via PM
This message was authored by caesarome This message was authored by: caesarome

See if you can run this line test to see if a fault is found outside of your property and if something is found you can book an engineer repair:

https://www.sky.com/help/home/sky-talk/fix-problems-with-my-phone/diagnostics/fix-problems-with-your...

You can also run this test via the MySky app.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
If you need help please provide as much information as you can
Jane+and+Mick
Topic Author

Our phones have not been working since 25th August.  Sky said they checked them and it was an outside fault and have reported it to BT.  I've heard nothing since.  Nothing from Sky and nothing from BT.  

This message was authored by Daniel0210 This message was authored by: Daniel0210

@Jane+and+Mick wrote:

Our phones have not been working since 25th August.  Sky said they checked them and it was an outside fault and have reported it to BT.  I've heard nothing since.  Nothing from Sky and nothing from BT.  

@Jane+and+Mick 

Openreach only work on domestic set ups on weekdays. Unfortunately you have had a long bank holiday weekend followed by two days (Tuesday and yesterday) where the Communication Workers Union were taking industrial action. So technically today is day 2 of a possible fix. You won't hear directly from Openreach as the isp, in this case Sky, are their customer. 

Sky customer since 2001
Jane+and+Mick
Topic Author

Sky should have told me this, instead of saying it will be fixed within 2-3 days.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@Jane+and+Mick wrote:

instead of saying it will be fixed within 2-3 days.

2-3 working days  starting the next working day morning after the fault was logged is the Openreach target time-to-fix.  As @Daniel0210 notes, three days this week were not 'working days'.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
Jane+and+Mick
Topic Author

... which means 4 of them are working days and we've still heard nothing and have no phones working.  We're pensioners and quite isolated and feeling very alone here and being dealt with in a very cold and dismissive way as if we're somehow at fault for even asking questions.

@Jane+and+Mick 

To clarify, you've stated earlier your phone hasn't been working since August 25, so presuming you reported it that day;

Aug 26 Friday - would be day 1

Aug 27 Saturday - weekend

Aug 28 Sunday - weekend

Aug 29 Monday - bank holiday in UK

Aug 30 Tuesday - Openreach on strike

Aug 31 Wednesday- Openreach on strike

Sep 1 today - will be day 2

so hopefully fixed before this weekend. 

Sky customer since 2001
Jane+and+Mick
Topic Author

Our phones are still not working and apparently Sky 'can't get in touch with us'... hmmm 🧐 I wonder why?

@Jane+and+Mick 

Perhaps the fault requires the digging up of the road/pavement which in turn will necessitate permission from the local council and the arranging of a crew.  

It won't help you get an earlier fix but see this link re auto compensation for when there is a total loss of Sky Broadband or Sky Talk. https://www.sky.com/help/articles/auto-compensation

If you have a total loss of service and it isn’t fixed after two full working days from when you first report the fault to Sky, you will become eligible for it once it’s fixed.

Sky customer since 2001

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion