Discussion topic: New to sky no phone calls in or out

This message was authored by SuesmileyUK This message was authored by: SuesmileyUK

New to sky no phone calls in or out

Hi, I am sorry if I sound ignorant, but I am confused, as my dad use to deal with the phone lines, and he died.

We have Vodafone, with old unit plugged into our socket with a microfibre.

We had a lovely man come Monday and install superfast or fibre, he put a box on our wall, sorted everything, and asked me to make a call to ensure he left us working.

I made a call to my mobile and it connected fine... Now could this be because we were still under contract and using our old line which was still valid, at that time.

Since Tuesday my sister said our phone lines don’t work, I did try calling out Tuesday but it gets to half way dialling and then does not register the number. We cannot make or receive calls at all.

Now I think the issue is I may need to go buy a male to male extension phone connector, because I think we have confused the engineer, as right next to the box, is a phone cable, that connects through to the other bedroom that is not used, so when he put the phone cable in the back of the sky box, its just an old phone extension that goes through to a bedroom that is not used.

I also threw the microfilter away as he said they are not needed.

Now technically we have nothing no phone line going into the black box, as the phone line he connected was just an unused extension from an old bedroom.

I have the old phone line coming into the property into the junction box and that’s it, so I now need to buy a male to male lead to connect the old phone junction box to the skybox???

Sorry is this correct?

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: New to sky no phone calls in or out

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

The phone will only work when plugged into the Hub's telephone socket. None of your wall sockets will work.

View this Answer within the discussion

All Replies

SuesmileyUK
Topic Author
This message was authored by SuesmileyUK This message was authored by: SuesmileyUK

Sorry I mean we had vodafone and moved to sky Monday.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@SuesmileyUK 

If you have been provisioned with a Sky Broadband Hub (black upright model) and it has a green Voice light on the front then your telephone wall sockets will not work (no matter how they are cabled) : the only place to plug in a phone handset or DECT base station is the BT jack socket on the rear of the Hub itself.

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
SuesmileyUK
Topic Author

Thankyou, I was trying to look at self help and it said the phone line had to be plugged into the black unit, so no phone line gets plugged into the black unit?

The sky talk just works through the white box they installed, so if thats the case why cant we make or receive calls please.

SuesmileyUK
Topic Author

So we have 4 phones throughout the house, as my dad was disabled..

Does this mean that I only plug one phone handsocket into the skybox, and the others will still work.

Sorry getting really confused. 

Will the other phones work of the one plugged into the black skybox, is that what I need to do?

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

The phone will only work when plugged into the Hub's telephone socket. None of your wall sockets will work.

SuesmileyUK
Topic Author

Oh my days...why did the engineer not tell us that..

I have just moved the master phone from the kitchen, plugged it into the black box, and we can now make and receive calls.

Thankyou so so much, as mum is elderly, and home allday and she does not get on with mobiles.

Thankyou so much

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@SuesmileyUK  glad you have a working phone again! If you still need phone extensions elsewhere in your home, you might want to think about a standard cordless DECT phone, where just the base station plugs into your broadband Hub, and you can place the cordless handsets wherever you want them.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion