Discussion topic: New Custimer Help

This message was authored by Emjayf This message was authored by: Emjayf

New Custimer Help

Hi all,

in UK here and just thinking of joining Sky for my broadband and home phone for the first time.  The only thing that stops me is something about not being able to use your existing landline?  I read that it no longer goes through your phonelines but through your internet?  So would that mean I would have to buy a new phone and all that or what?  None of my friends seem to be able to answer me for this!  

Sorry if it is a  stupid and basic question but it is late and i have been bamboozled by many tariifs and other nonsense! 

Thanks

MJ

Best Answers
This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Re: New Custimer Help

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Welcome to the forum @Emjayf 🙂

There are no stupid questions here! Yes, your phone should work fine. It will just plug into your broadband Hub, rather than the wall socket.

Emjayf
Topic Author

Re: New Customer Help

Thank you.  Okay, sorry I want to make this clear in my head!  So my new hub is plugged into the wall and my old phone will plug into the new hub?

If that is true how does that work for call charges?  Like if I use Whataspp or Messenger phone through the internet there is no landline charge - because it is used over the internet.  I was going to pay for free weekend and evening calls but if I phone using this new way isn't that just the same as using the Whatsapp or Messenger phone?

Sorry if these sound idiotic this is all new!  As I am in the middle of the countryside I worry if the internet goes out I won't be able to phone either.

Cheers

MJ

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

@Emjayf wrote:

Thank you.  Okay, sorry I want to make this clear in my head!  So my new hub is plugged into the wall and my old phone will plug into the new hub?

Yes, that's right.

If that is true how does that work for call charges?  Like if I use Whataspp or Messenger phone through the internet there is no landline charge - because it is used over the internet.  I was going to pay for free weekend and evening calls but if I phone using this new way isn't that just the same as using the Whatsapp or Messenger phone?

Calls made via your phone handset are charged in exactly the same way as standard landline calls are, even though they're carried over the Internet. So if, for example, you have a call package for your phone calls now, you might want to sign up for the equivalent Sky call package.

Emjayf
Topic Author

That is brilliant to read! (still annoyed, in my late tiredness, that i accidentally said "custimer" and not "customer" in my inital post title! ).  I wanted to leave Vodafone as they messed me around at the start. Plusnet no longer do landline deals and BT seemed too pricey for what they offered!  I should have sorted this out ages ago as my old contract expired today!

Thanks again!

MJ

Emjayf
Topic Author

HI so i have signed up to Sky now for my broadband - do they cancel my contract with Vodafone?  I really don't want to contact them as they have never been able to set up my account with them properly!  I spent many a time early on calling them and doing live chats!  And each time i had to repeat the same thing over and over again!  Nearly drove me to despair!  Haha!  So I hope I don't have to speak to them again!

Cheers

MJ

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39 Answer

Emjayf
Topic Author

Brilliant! Thanks for your help! This forum has been super helpful!

Cheers

MJ

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion