Discussion topic: Landline wall sockets no longer operational / Internet Calls during power outage?

This message was authored by moniker This message was authored by: moniker

Landline wall sockets no longer operational / Internet Calls during power outage?

Yesterday, after about a month of being with Sky I realised that my landline wasn't receiving calls. I only discovered this when my wife asked why I didn't pick up the phone when I had been home all day. I tried different phones, wall sockets and the test socket, but the line wouldn't let me call out or receive calls. 

After calling Sky for assistance I was informed that to use a landline phone I needed to connect it directly to the Sky router, something that I've never experienced before with any other provider. I was told that my wall sockets would no longer work. This was not something I was aware of before signing up to Sky and feel that it's something that should've been clearly explained.

This unusual decision by Sky to force me to use the router instead of my wall sockets has meant instead of being able to have a multiple phones around my house for accessibility I've been reduced to using a single phone in the same room as the router. As someone who has health and mobility issues, this is far from ideal and means I'll need to fork out the funds to have my wall sockets rewired to the router, something which I'll need to do again if I switch to another supplier in the future. 

Is it possible to have Sky revert your landline to the actual line instead of via the router? This would save me the time and expense of having to rewire my wall sockets. 

And given that my landline now operates via the internet, will I still be able to make calls during a power cut? Power cuts are quite common in my area, especially during winter, so it's important that I can still use my phone if there's a power outage. 

All Replies

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

Re: Landline wall sockets no longer operational / Internet Calls during power outage?

Posted by a Superuser, not a Sky employee. Find out more

@moniker wrote:

Is it possible to have Sky revert your landline to the actual line instead of via the router? This would save me the time and expense of having to rewire my wall sockets. 

And given that my landline now operates via the internet, will I still be able to make calls during a power cut? Power cuts are quite common in my area, especially during winter, so it's important that I can still use my phone if there's a power outage. 

This is related to the switch off by Openreach of all analogue phone services currently scheduled to take place in 2025/2026. All providers will then have to use a broadband service to carry phone calls, so switching to a different provider would only be a short term solution.

I doubt Sky would be able to revert you to a standard calls service via your wall sockets for that reason. Unfortunately it does mean that a power cut, or loss of your broadband service does currently mean you would be unable to make or receive phone calls for the duration.

A cordless phone kit might be a better solution and possibly cheaper than re-wiring your wall sockets to the router. Plug the base station into the router, and havemas many handsets as you need placed where you want them.

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

Re: Landline wall sockets no longer operational / Internet Calls during power outage?

@moniker 

As @Mark39 indicates, this is the way all telephony is going.  Sky is slightly  ahead of the curve for SOGEA uptake: BT for example suspended its 'Digital Voice' rollout for a year in the wake of Storms Arwen and Eunice in early 2022 but has now resumed it.  You'll find widespread discussion of the topic online, including the points you raise about resilience.

https://business.bt.com/why-choose-bt/insights/digital-transformation/uk-pstn-switch-off/ 

https://newsroom.bt.com/were-pausing-our-digital-voice-plans-for-consumers-while-we-work-on-a-more-r... 

https://newsroom.bt.com/were-expanding-our-trials-of-digital-voice-for-customers/ 

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/12/solutions-for-battery-backup-of-fibre-broadband-and-vo... 

Sky Glass 55" (on ethernet) & two Stream Pucks (one ethernet / one WiFi)
BT Halo 3+ Ultrafast FTTP (500Mbs), BT Smart Hub 2
moniker
Topic Author

Thanks for your speedy and informed response. I was completely unaware of the "analogue switch off" until you mentioned it - something that I reckon should also have been made clear by Sky when I signed up. Nevertheless, the switch off doesn't happen until the end of 2025 and my contract ends in 2024, so while I understand that the change is inevitable, it should've been my choice whether or not I switch to a digital only service at this time. 

Regarding the ability to use a phone during a power cut, the Gov guidance on this states, "Telecoms companies are required by Ofcom to take all necessary measures to ensure uninterrupted access to emergency organisations for their customers, including in the event of a power cut." Ofcom issued further guidance on this which states, "Providers should have at least one solution available that enables access to emergency organisations for a minimum of one hour in the event of a power outage in the premises, and that this solution should be offered free of charge to those who are at risk as they depend on their landline."

Is Sky offering sucha solution? 

This message was authored by TimmyBGood This message was authored by: TimmyBGood

@moniker wrote:

it should've been my choice whether or not I switch to a digital only service at this time. 

I'm afraid not: PSTN 'stop-sell' has been underway since 2021, and by September of this year (2023) it's intended that SOGEA broadband will be the only option for all orders placed by ISPs nationally: this is both for new provision at an address and 'switching' between providers.

https://www.openreach.co.uk/cpportal/products/the-all-ip-programme/stopsell-updates 

@moniker wrote:

Ofcom issued further guidance on this which states, "Providers should have at least one solution available that enables access to emergency organisations for a minimum of one hour in the event of a power outage in the premises, and that this solution should be offered free of charge to those who are at risk as they depend on their landline."

Is Sky offering sucha solution? 

No-one is: all ISPs are fudging this issue, and Ofcom is apparently letting them get away with it because (presumably) they are well aware there aren't any particularly good solutions but PSTN (and exchange power) switch-off is happening anyway.

Sky should, however, have asked a set of questions aimed at assessing 'vulnerability' as part of the sales process.

moniker
Topic Author

While I appreciate that the PSTN "stop-sell" is already underway, it's not mandatory until September, so when I signed up 5 months before that date I feel I should've still had the option to stay analogue given my contract ends before the actual "switch off".

At the very least I should've been made aware that by signing up with Sky my wall sockets would no longer be operational despite the analogue line not being switched off until at least a year after my contract ends. And that I would lose the ability to make or recieve calls during a power outage and the ability to make emergency calls if the internet is down, despite it being an Ofcom requirement. 

If ISPs don't have a solution to that rather important requirement, they shouldn't be forcing people over to digital until they do. In rural areas with little or no mobile signal, where air ambulance is the only way to get someone to hospital in a hurry, not having access to a real landline during a power cut or internet outage may have fatal consequences. 

This message was authored by Mark39 This message was authored by: Mark39

You could raise a formal complaint with Sky, on that basis. They might allow you to terminate your contract without penalty, leaving you the option of finding an alternative provider which still offers an analogue phone service. 

@moniker wrote:

While I appreciate that the PSTN "stop-sell" is already underway, it's not mandatory until September, so when I signed up 5 months before that date I feel I should've still had the option to stay analogue given my contract ends before the actual "switch off".

SOGEA is the only product in the 461 exchange areas where stop-sell is already in effect (about 8% nationally).

The Sky policy is to supply SOGEA wherever it's available.

@moniker wrote:

If ISPs don't have a solution to that rather important requirement, they shouldn't be forcing people over to digital until they do. In rural areas with little or no mobile signal, where air ambulance is the only way to get someone to hospital in a hurry, not having access to a real landline during a power cut or internet outage may have fatal consequences. 

Many people would agree, but as things stand PSTN switch-off by Openreach is going to happen (and stop-sell long before then) so without ISPs transitioning their customers there are going to be millions without service.

Perhaps worth noting that the target of late 2025 was set long before the pandemic, and really ought to be revisited.

moniker
Topic Author

What does their policy state in the unfortunate case of a death due to the removal of access to emergency services during a power cut - without so much as explaining this to their customers, never mind asking for consent?

They've jumped the gun.

moniker
Topic Author

That may be so, but if ISPs are switching people in remote areas over now without the ability to make emergency calls, they outta be supplying them with a battery backup at the very least. 

@moniker wrote:

they outta be supplying them with a battery backup at the very least. 

Unfortunately UPS devices have a distinctly finite lifespan (about three years before the batteries are unviable) and no ISP wants to take that on: their current profit margin on a broadband subscription simply doesn't allow for it.

The situation is undoubtedly a mess, and will probably, at some point, become political.

@moniker wrote:

in the unfortunate case of a death due to the removal of access to emergency services during a power cut

I suspect they are all anticipating coroners inquest findings to that effect: it's alluded to in the BT links I posted above.  As I said, the situation is a mess, no-one appears to be taking ownership, and deadlines are rapidly approaching.

Was this discussion not helpful?

No problem. Browse or search to find help, or start a new discussion on Community.

Start a new discussion

On average, new discussions are replied to by our users within 80 minutes

New Discussion